SO sad! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

SO sad!

Today I saw a dead kitten in the street!!! Its head was just SMASHED! It was soooooo sad!!!
I just had to share such a sad day.......
DOnt you tink it should be a law to not run over animals, and if you do suffer the consequenses!?? Maybe Im overreacting but it was just soo sad, it was a small lil kitten!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hate to see dead animals. I always do my best to avoid them.
My gf was doing a driving lesson and she slammed the brakes on coz a pheasent crossed the road and she got told not to do that it was wrong but she said she could not run anything over she would feel too bad.
I know in the UK if you run over a badger you are supposed to tell the authorities but I bet hardly anyone does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I hate seeing animals killed on the road too...however I don't think it should be a law that you can't. I have killed a puppy when driving before. It's owners let it out of their enclosed yard to run around freely. It was dark and on a road where the speed limit is high. The dog ran out in front of me and I didn't have time to stop. I slammed on the brakes but it wasn't enough and the pup was killed on impact. Yes I felt horrible and dealt with it there and then...but that wasn't my fault, it was the owners fault. If someone deliberately runs over an animal then yes they should be made to pay for what they did but a lot of times it's purely an accident. Trust me it took me ages to calm down after I hit the puppy and when I drive on that road I always slow down near that house but I don't think I deserve to be fined or have a criminal record cause of it...it was the owner's that were irresponsible.
It's why my cat is an indoor only cat and the dogs aren't allowed out of the yard without me being there and on a lead (well one of them anyway, the other dog goes nowhere)...they can't run out in front of a car that way

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

Well, I don't think it is always an irresponsible owner. One of my best friend's growing up had a dog that was about a year old. Their backyard was fenced in, and that's the only place they let their dog out. However, one weekend their grandma was staying with them, opened the front door to get the paper, and the dog just bounded right past her. He went straight for the street, and into a car. The entire family watched him get killed.
So accidents like this can happen even to responsible owners.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah my puppy got killed by a motorbike when I was younger.
I crossed the road to go to the shops and my mate was holding her and she just ran after me and my mate did not know she was gonna do that and she pulled out of her hand and I saw her get killed.
It was horrid, I did not know what to do I just ran across the street and held her even though she was almost torn in half and just shouted for help.
I cry now thinking about it

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha elise
Well, I don't think it is always an irresponsible owner. One of my best friend's growing up had a dog that was about a year old. Their backyard was fenced in, and that's the only place they let their dog out. However, one weekend their grandma was staying with them, opened the front door to get the paper, and the dog just bounded right past her. He went straight for the street, and into a car. The entire family watched him get killed.
So accidents like this can happen even to responsible owners.
It's still not the driver's fault. I have had a dog and cat bolt in front of me. I had NO time to stop. I felt terrible but what could I do? Should I be charged? What a lot of people don't realize is if your dog causes vehicle damage and/or injuries/death..whether it is an unfortunate accident or not...you can be held liable for damages.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I dont think it is the drivers fault no as animals jump out all the time, Touch wood I have been able to stop.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Part of the Pack

I hate seeing dead animals in the street. But I do think sometimes it is the driver's fault. I once saw a car intentionally run over a dog. He could've stopped. It was at night but I could see the dog in the street and I was behind that car. He had his lights on and everything. He just ran over him and left. I saw the dog was obviously dead so I followed the car and rear ended him. I know I wasn't supposed to do that but he deserved it. I turned off my lights, reversed and went home. He never found out it was me. It felt great. It was by my house though so I had to see the dead dog there all the time since the city never cleaned it eventhough I made numerous calls to them about it.
I live in texas though...so I always see a dead animal somewhere. It's really sad and I wish there weren't so many homeless animals and so many people that just leave their animals to run around.

My babies...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_simb
I saw the dog was obviously dead so I followed the car and rear ended him. I know I wasn't supposed to do that but he deserved it. I turned off my lights, reversed and went home. He never found out it was me. It felt great.

OH MY GOD I wish I had guts like that! You GO!!!!

Intentionally running over an animal is horrible. Although with the previous story of the dog running passed Grandma it is still unfortunately the owners fault in that situation. I realize she did not let the dog out intentionally, but having a dog that runs away freely, I know what it's like. I have to make extra precaussions when opening the door. When we first rescued Coral she got out 3 times before we realized we had to take extra steps when opening the door. She did get hit by a vehicle, luckily nothing serious happened, just a ripped pad.

It might be legal to go after the dogs owner that damaged your vehicle, I think that if I ever killed someone's beloved pet I would not ask them to pay for my damages, unless a passenger or myself was hurt. Its unfortunate enough for the dog owner that their pet just passed, nevermind having to pay for for the vehicle that took their pet away.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

about 9 months ago a cat bolted out infront of my car, i was going the speed limit and even though it was 2 in the morning and the cat was black i was able to stop, unfortently the cat went under the car a little bit in front of me and got hit by the back wheel. It was so sad I was completly heart broken and balling my mom told me it was ok. She was even upset and she for some reason has a problems with cats.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Part of the Pack

I've almost ran over quite a few animals but I've managed to stop at all times. I never go over the limit where I know there are animals around. So usually I don't take it lightly when someone tells me they ran over something.

My babies...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't take it lightly when someone hits an animal either, but I was doing the speed limit the night I hit that puppy...sometimes it just can't be helped. That's not the only animal to run out in front of me, it's just the only one I haven't been able to stop in time for. My dog will run out on the road if she gets a chance...we too take extra precautions to make sure she doesn't get the chance...sometimes dogs can be quicker than we think, but if my dog got out and got hit by a car, I'd still blame myself, not the poor driver that just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...unless they did it on purpose...but that's animal cruelty and a whole different matter. It is against the law to deliberately run over an animal...the only problem is catching the people that do it.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am glad we dont have any roads around here where my animals could get run over it was bad enough that 1 time.
I would hate to run over anything and thank goodness I have quick reflexes and good brakes but there is this 1 cat I am sure is playing chicken with me coz everytime I do my paper round he jumps out in front of me so now I go ever so slow there.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Thumbs down It's very tough.

It is very tough to forgive and forget.When I was very small, I had a dog that ALWAYS ran out of the house, but she turned around before she reached the road. We thought that she would always come back until the day came that it was too late. I geuss that we took it for granted that she never would get hit. The person who hit her at least could have slowed down. They had no excuses!all in all it was horrible!

Tags
animal cruelty