Soft Claws - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Soft Claws

Hey, all! It's me Patti, the chin owner who also has a cat. The cat is supposed to be my husband's, but she seems to like me.

Anyway, my husband and I have just relocated our zoo to Fort Leonard Wood, MO, and the after much trouble have found a gentleman to rent to us. He knows about our cat Daphne, and our deal is anything that we damage, we replace or pay for. A pretty far deal. Daphne has her front claws, and my husband will not declaw her. But the house has cedar walls in 40% of the rooms, lots of unfinished wood, and $2700 in custom drapes. We tried clipping and filing her claws, but for the sake of the leather furniture, we purchased a product from Dr. Foster's and Smith called 'Soft Claws.' It's like getting fake finger nails for your cat. You glue them over your cats trimmed claws and they are supposed to prevent the claws from doing damage, while allowing the claws to retract naturally. Also, they come in colors, so you can see if they are still attached.

With a small production, we got them on the cat about an hour ago, and she hasn't thrown any yet. (I also super glued one to my hand, but it came off.)

My question in, have any of you used this product before? Do you like it? Or, are you desperate and want the website for Dr. Foster's and Smith?

I'll let you all know how they work out.

Patti

P.S. We have also provided her with an extra long sisal rope stratcher for healthy and appropriate claw play. She likes it, because she really doesn't claw stuff, she just like to stretch and her claws come out when she does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
(I also super glued one to my hand, but it came off.)

I have never used them but I've heard good things about them. I can't imagine even trying to attempt that on my cats. We would be scarred for life!

Off topic but I went to Ft. Leonard Wood about 11 years ago to help my brother move back to Michigan after his term with the Army was done. I loved it there! The area around the base is so pretty. I hope you enjoy it there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Daphne is a big fraidy cat anyway. It's such a fight to trim her claws that this wasn't much worse. (She doesn't scratch us, but she pulls away a lot.) She is painfully shy sometimes. Our friend adopted her and is pretty sure that she was abused at some point.

On the other hand, when she gets to know you, she is like a dog. She demands attention.

And you are right. Ft Leonardwood is beatiful. We are living on the shores of the Big Piney River.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:09 PM

WoW! You moved already!!??? That was quick! I've never used soft claws, but also heard good things...I would probably use them instead of declawing if I ever got another kitty! Let us know how they work out for you!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, Daphne pulled 4 of them off last night, but that is supposed to be normal during the initial phase as cats get used to them and humans learn to apply them properly. We will try to replace the tips tonight and go from there.

Patti
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:03 AM

Patti, I have heard good things about them as well. I know what you mean about the cats demanding your attention like a dog. Glad everyone was moved safely and happily!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Well, after two days, Daphne has 5 soft claws. She ripped 4 off within the first night and got the other one the next morning. According to the box, this is supposed to be '"normal during the initial training period." My husband and I haven't had the heart to try another application, but plan to some time this weekend. We just got our boxes of stuff a couple of days ago and would like to pack enough so that if the claws work, we can let Daphne have access the to whole house (she is currently limited to the bottom floor). Of course, she has a sunny window and everything a cat could want, but she gets lonely when we are upstairs, and as soon as we clean off the bed, we would like to start sleeping in the master bedroom up there.

Update to follow in a couple of days.

Patti and Daphne
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 03:24 PM

I use Soft Claws on my male and LOVE them! Did you try giving her wet food after you put them on? I can't remember if that was suggested on the website, or on the box. Max's paws usually last a good 4 weeks. However, he will pull them off once they are about ready to fall off. The key to applying them is to cut the claws short enough that the sleeves will last awhile but long enough that the sleeves don't fall off right away.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. We gave her a treat after the application. Poor dear, she got one hung up on her collar yesterday, but we got it out. I think it will just take a while for her to get used to them.

Patti
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, after much procrastination, we have tried a second application (she got 5 of them off in the first 24 hours from her first application). We have both small and medium ones, and this time they all stayed on. We just had to scruff her for 5 minutes while the glue dried. And now she has the run of the house.

One tip, if you have a cat who is around 9 pounds (which is the cut-off on small cat), I recommend getting small and medium. Some of Daphne's nails are bigger than others. We use a combination.

So far, the leather furniture is safe.

Patti
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Glad to hear everything is going well with Daphne, Patti! How hard was it to get them on her nails?

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Daphne doesn't like to be messed with at all, so catching her is a tactical adventure. This time my husband went downstairs and petted her and then scruffed her, and I came down with the 'torture implements.' Actually, its not to hard once she is scruffed. I had two sizes all ready with the glue in them and you just slide them on. Then you have to wait five minutes for the glue to dry. She shed a little, but not too much. She is getting used to it, and it beats trying to catch her to clip the nails.

Patti
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM

softclaws???

hey guys I've recently had problems with my cat scratching my furniture. She's been scratching our sofa's making them look old and unattarctive. I heard that 'softclaws' could stop this problem. Is this so? Has anyone else heard or know about softclaws?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Will it stop the problem? No. Will it keep your sofa safe? Yes. Beware though...some can chew them off and some cheap brands will fall off.

Great alternative to declawing. You can also try cutting the nails as short as they will go and filing them. One of my ferals that was adopted to my best friend had his nails clipped and filed when he was castrated. He'd play with us but his nails were nowhere near as bad.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
hey guys I've recently had problems with my cat scratching my furniture. She's been scratching our sofa's making them look old and unattarctive. I heard that 'softclaws' could stop this problem. Is this so? Has anyone else heard or know about softclaws?
Hello and welcome to paw talk!

You can teach your cat to scratch HER furniture and not yours. I've had cats all my life and my furniture is not scratched up at all.

How many scratchers do you have? What kind?

Declawing: please read this first

Tags
wet food