soft paws - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

soft paws

so i just got done doing soft paws LORD. if my cat is at all vindictive i will find out tonight. theres one paw that didnt go too well. yeah its nto ont here all the way and the glue well dried so it looks like shes flipping off o then she moved and i got super glue all over my finger and all over her paw i didnt want to put acitone on her so i jsut cut the little glue off. i got bit a few times yeah soo hum right now shes licking her paws is this bad???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Give her some wet food to take her mind off of the paws and let the glue dry. Make sure that you don't clip the nails too short, otherwise there isn't enough surface area for the paws to stick to.

Candice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

ack i need to edit that post it wont let me! shes leaving them alone it just looks funny that one little nail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

well i am guessing she either forgot or shes a very forgiving cat. this morning we did our routine pet-fest where i pet her for about an hour half a sleep most of the time she just nudgeing my hand. and then she sniffes my face and touches her nose to my eye lid (which i have no idea if she thinks this is kiss or shes just trying to figure out that i didnt meraculasly change into a differant person in the middle of the night) now shes she looking at me and meowing. so i pick her up and she runs away. she likes to be petted a lot before i go to school, but im guessing not held... what can i say. i dont have a vendictive cat. i was surely expecting something, when she was a small kitty she used to attack my hand (3 in the morning) when we sprayed her any time during the day with the spray bottle *fewf*
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Part of the Pack

I've been thinking of trying it on my cat. I'm not sure about it though. Wouldn't it be weird to have something over your nails all the time? I guess cats don't really have much of an use for them to care a lot (as long as they are not completely taken off). I think it'll be difficult to put them on one of my cats though. He's extremely moody and wont even allow me to cut his nails. I have to wrap him up in a blanket to do it.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 04:07 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Soft paws? what is that?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

well my cat is ok with them she licks them but she licked her paws before hand. she doesnt act any differant i think it just weird for them to be put them on. my cat squirms out of a blankets and towels so i put her in a sweat shirt that my dad left behind. she walked to the end of the sleeve that might work better i also did it alone. Baiscally her head was pokeing out alone with her paw. Simba might bite my cat did and she never bites me only when playing but that was a protecting herslef bite i just said no and talked to her and praised her then after ward you gotta hold them for 5 min after the glue is dried, priase your cat the whole time giveing them treats... she jsut chose my moms 5000 dollar chair over my roomamte 5 dollar chair lol so there had to be something done.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Part of the Pack

I'm sure Simba will bite me actually. I have enough trouble trimming his nails. He found out how to wiggle himself from the blankets so I have to hold them really tight. He also tries to scratch my mom's couch which is expensive. He has my chair as a scratching post. I could never get that habit to stop so I just let him.

My babies...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Playful Pup

Smile

Great to read you guys are trying alternatives to declawing.
I visit a few Pet Forums and regularly see posts from people in US, either considering declawing their cats, or regarding problems after cat having had the amputation procedure. Sometimes people post suggestions on alternatives, but few comments from people who actually use them. Scratchposts rule for distracting cats away from furniture and wicker baskets are bargain buys too.
Declawing is illegal in UK and many other countries, but sadly still seems to be the quick fix offered by a lot of vets in US. My vet would refuse to see me again if I asked her to declaw my cats for convenience !
Scratching cats are happy cats, declawing profoundly interferes with this core cat behaviour.

~ Helen

...missing
GanMan

Click
2 Feed Animals In Need 4 Free

Last edited by Creativz; 04-15-2005 at 08:34 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativz
Scratching cats are happy cats, declawing profoundly interferes with this core cat behaviour.
While im on the fence about this issue, i dont know if it affects their behavior... i got my cat tobbie when he was six months old. when i got him, he was already neutered and front declawed. he acts just like my other two cats who still have their claws.. only difference is i dont have to yell at him to stop claw the couch... he rubs his paws on the couch like he still has them, but i think hes just as happy as he would be with his claws... so i think your statement isnt completely true
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Playful Pup

Juliet9521 - In your first response, you asked what "Soft Paws" are, which is why it's so important people comment on trying the alternatives to declawing. These threads get a lot of views. I'm not here to argue with or offend anyone, I wouldn't post something as misleading, I wouldn't waste my time.
I've done a lot of research, I know a lot of vets, have various reliable sources. I'm not attacking cat owners, but vets should be educating them on the possible future complications and consequences of declaw, before agreeing to perform procedure, purely for convenience. Not all do and people don't realise the severity. Most of the world does not declaw. In practically every country where cats are companion animals, declawing is illegal or effectively banned.
Quote:
"Scratching is such an innate behavior that even declawed cats still go though the motions--but it's not a real scratch. A declawed cat can rub her paw along a scratching post and leave a scent, but she misses out on the upper body workout that a cat can only get from flexing and tugging against the impedance of dug-in claws. Not being able to engage in a hearty scratch each day takes its toll. A declawed cat's shoulders and upper back gradually weaken, since scratching is the main way they stay strong. The whole scratching experience--the exertion, the visual impact, the noise of scraping claws--is a potent de-stressor for a cat. One cannot predict how an individual cat will react to being denied this great stress-relief source. One cat may develop lifelong aggression problems; another may apparently be fine--until faced with a stressful situation. A scratching cat is a happy cat. Declawing profoundly interferes with this core cat behavior."
- Gary Loewenthal, Whole Cat Journal, 2002.
Quote:
"The consequences of declawing are often pathetic. Changes in behavior can occur. A declawed cat frequently resorts to biting when confronted with even minor threats. Biting becomes an overcompensation for the insecurity of having no claws. Bungled surgery can result in the regrowth of deformed claws or in an infection leading to gangrene. Balance is affected by the inability to grasp with their claws. Chronic physical ailments such as cystitis or skin disorders can be manifestations of a declawed cat's frustration and stress." - David E. Hammett, DVM.

~ Helen

...missing
GanMan

Click
2 Feed Animals In Need 4 Free

Last edited by Creativz; 04-15-2005 at 11:40 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

so far the only complain i have about soft paws is the fact that my cat gets them off arg... but they said in the thing that this will be normal they also said cats shed the top layer of there claws and i might have just put them on during the sheading processes. so when i examin her claws and i see one of those little buggers off i get her and i replace it. there only 20 dollars for a set of forty which should last you 4 to 8 months depending on how often your cat sheds its top layor of claw...

how do you get superglue off your skin???my cat bumped me and i have it all over my hands its dried i just feels funny nothing glued together
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Part of the Pack

You can try running your hands under hot water and that should do it.
I work at a shelter so it's great to educate people on declawing (as in, don't do it because it's not the best thing to do). We have an article on soft claws in the visiting rooms so they can be visible to them. I've had a lot of people who come to me and tell me that they are going to declaw the cat that they adopt. Well, people are not allowed to take a cat that is older than 6 months old if they want to have him declawed and most people that want them declawed have wanted older cats...I tell the front desk before they go up there and they are not allowed to take the cats. I understand the importance of that rule though. It's wrong to declaw them when they are older. I've noticed that the majority of the cats that come in with litter problems are declawed and most of the declawed cats are really aggressive. It's quite sad to that a person actually paid for that operation and still could commit to the cat for life.

My babies...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

my vet said if nothing else worked she would do it. Scott told me dont do it. he said that if you have them declawed that it shortens there life span. he also said if gets out she wont have a way to prtect herslef, thats why i was worried about soft paws but her back claws protect her. but with soft paws her claws dont get as gross there cleaner. my cat is obsessive cleaner which is nice, but i guess all cats clean themselfs quite often. i just have no idea were those soft paws go when they fall off, i hope she doesnt eat them.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Part of the Pack

I've read that it's fine if she eats them. They are non-toxic and wont affect her.

My babies...

Tags
companion animals, wet food