soft poos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

soft poos

ok so are you sick of me yet? If anyone wants to direct me to a website that has lots of useful cat info. I'm happy to do my own research! Anyway today Milko used his litter tray to do a poo....he got half of it in and the other half he did out. Yesterday he didn't even get it in there so I'm sure over the next couple of days we'll be sorted. His poos are kinda soft. They come out all foromed, but joined together, like one long sausage. The only experince I've had with cat poos is in older cats at work, and they come out more like oval shaped pellets. He is eating and drinking better and better every day, and so very playful. He has a little of bit dried mucus next to his eyes after he wakes up but it's hard and dry, not runny and his eyes are clear.
His poos are easy enough to pick up...they don't go mooshy in the tissue in or anything. At first I thought he could be on his way to diarrhoea, but then I thought that if Biscuit has been using her maternal instincts to clean him so he didn't need the toilet, then they'd have to be softish for her to be able to slurp them up (I know it's gross, try listening to it when you are eatong dinner 'lick lick slurp slurp' right? Everything else seems perfectly normal, and who knows, maybe 4 week old kittens do have soft poos normally. He is coming to work with me on Thursday for a full check up by our female vet. I hardly ever get to work with her but she has a huge interest in cats and their health (she keeps telling me she is going to be an old woman with 43 cats) so he's going for a thorough check over with her on Thursday....I'll take a stool sample in then cause she'll check it out for me for worms etc.
I basically just want to know if I should be worried, or if it's pretty normal?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:13 PM

I think at 4 weeks it is normal to have soft poop. Think about it, human babies don't have solid firm poop either.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I knew you'd reply for me Dena!! I wasn't concerned, but figured I better double check, just incase. Thanks for replying!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i just wanted to say that i think it's so cute how you are being with this cat! i can't believe YOU have a cat! hahahaha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:08 AM

Carmen yup it is normal for a kitten that young to have soft poos!! they usually begin to harden about about 5-6 weeks old, once their body adapts to food, etc....
Let us know how the check up goes.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
i just wanted to say that i think it's so cute how you are being with this cat! i can't believe YOU have a cat! hahahaha.

me neither Jane!!!! I always used to say to alex...'well one thing is for sure, no matter how many pets we own, we'll never own a cat' Oops can't use that arguement anymore!!!!! He is just so darn cute I can't help myself. Alex even let him on the bed yesterday!! And he was on the phone bragging to one of his mates about him. I feel bad, if I knew he liked cats so much I probably wouldn't said that we'd never own one. My mum is still in shock. Apparently she went around telling everyone I'd rescued this cat, but that it was okay, he'd never become part of the family because I'm not a cat person. I'm sure this sounds really bad but I would never have hurt a cat or anything like that, I just didn't see the point in owing something 'so independent.' But it's really cool! I'm loving it!!! 'I've had a few people say to me 'I'm not a cat person' when I tell them about our new addition and I say 'neither am I' Ok I'll shutup now!!! I'm done....seriously.....ah heck I love him, I can't help myself!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Kim....of course I'll let you know how the check up goes!!!! The nurse I co work with was ordering some food in for me today (all natural products, they even taste test themselves...the woman I spoke to at the pet expo a few weeks back told me which ones she liked best' told me that cause he was a feral he won't be as affectionate. I laughed cause he spends his day running between me, Alex, and Biscuit looking for love!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:52 AM

Aweeee how cute, you are very lucky to have gotten him at such a young age, feral kitties are easier to become more affectionate prior to the age of 6-7 weeks, now there are still chances to turn a feral kitten to a domestic cat after that age, but that is just a good guideline to go by We had brought in one kitten she was about 7-8 weeks and we had such high hopes for her, but after a month of trying and Darren getting tore up pretty bad, we decided there was more evilness inside of her than good, and it was sad because it wasn't the kittens fault
she is now spending her days at the "feral cat colony" at Dr.Frizs'
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

lol kim...totally enjoying herself I'm sure!! Milko has no 'feral cat' signs at all. He is a little scared of new things...but doesn't attack..just hisses and runs away. I'm making everyone that comes to the house gain his trust, I want him used to all people, and at this time of the year people are dropping in constantly so it's great for him! He hasn't one bit or scratched us out of aggressiveness. Playfulness yes, but now his nails are trimmed, he doesn't scratch and he is turning biting into licking. Even when Shadow was attacking him, he'd meow, hiss and run away as soon as she'd let go.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 AM

That is such great news Carmen You have yourself a very lucky Kitty there .... Although I'm not sure who is the luckier one, you or Milko
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
the woman I spoke to at the pet expo a few weeks back told me which ones she liked best' told me that cause he was a feral he won't be as affectionate. I laughed cause he spends his day running between me, Alex, and Biscuit looking for love!
I have seen 450 cats, all feral, come into my shelter. I have not yet seen a kitten under 6 months not be able to be adopted as an indoor cat to a home. I think I said this is your other thread too, we have an adult that was nasty and feral when he came in and he is the MOST affectionate cat I have ever seen. Once you pick him up he will not let you put him down. So pooey on all those people that think they aren't going to be as affectionate.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I know Dena....I'm very happy to prove them all wrong. She wouldn't say that a puppy with a bad start to life, could be affectionate and then become aggressive for no reason so I don't know what her goes is with the kitten.

Tags
indoor cat, litter tray