Something is wrong with Maggie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Unhappy Something is wrong with Maggie

I'm not sure if I should put this in urgent care or the cat section so I thought I would start here.

This morning when I got up I went through my normal routine, and at the end of it I always sit at my computer to check email & paw-talk... without fail every morning Maggie jumps into my lap to nap while I do this.

This morning she did as usually & when I started petting her I felt a hard spot on the right side of her neck right at the top of her shoulder blade. So I turned her sideways to get a better look & it appears as though she hurt herself somehow? there was a smal spot (about the size of 1/2 a pea) that had a surface scratch on it (kinda like if you scratch a layer of skin off with your nail or the edge of something.) It was not bleeding anymore though nor pussy but her fur around that area was hard & matted sorta. I cleaned it with a warm wash cloth & overall she looked ok.

Throughout the day I have been keeping an eye on her & have started to notice her breathing kinda funny. It almost sounds like she has fluid in her nose or lungs. She sneezed just a few minutes ago & a little light yellow "snot" came out of her nose. She has also been unusually hyper & touchy (she is persistant when she wants to jump up on something & even lightly bit me a couple times because I prevented her from doing so.) When she is done running around she seems to be breathing heavier than normal too.

She is 3 months old (as of 11-2.) Her eating, drinking & bathroom habits are all normal. & she is current on all shots & worming. I know a call to the vet is deffinatly in order which I will be doing first thing in the morning when they open. I absolutely do NOT want to wait any longer than need be in case she has pneumonia or something more serious.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thought on what cold be going on?? Am I don't something wrong that she is acting like this? Can cats catch a human cold? Anything you can advise on what could be wrong in the meantime of the vet would be greatly appreciated!! I will also keep you updated after the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kay I don't know much about cats but I just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you and Maggie. Keep us updated please

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Kay I'm sorry to hear that Maggie isn't feeling herself. It sounds like she could be having the onset of an URI (upper respitory infection), I'm no expert, but from my experiences with cats, everytime their breathing sounded ruffled, or they were sneezing and stuff was actually coming out of their nose it was usually a URI. Seeing as you got her from a shelter this wouldn't be uncommon. URI's can travel fast in shelters, if one cat has it, other's are bound to get it, not all but some will. If she has a scratch like abrasion on her neck, that is probably from her scratching because of several reasons, her ears could be bothering due to a URI, or possibly being stuffed up (sort of speaking). We had one foster kitty here that scratched her neck open so bad and after a few vet visits of not finding anything, we finally took her to our favorite town vet, and Dr.Friz found that she had ear mites deep down in the ear canal, and began treatment.
Kay I would take maggie into your vet for precautions, because if it is a URI you don't want to wait any longer, if that is what she has she will need immediate antibiotics, hang in there with the proper diagnosis and possible med's, Maggie will be back to normal in no time, I'm sure of it
P.S. if you have any neosporin (the plain kind), bacitracion, or bag balm, rub some on her abrasion this will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Kim (& Carmen) I sorta thought URI last night which is why I am calling the vet as soon as they open (in a couple hours). I'll let you know what the vet says
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Let's us know what the vet says

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

She is going in this afternoon at 2:00
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Good luck to you and Maggie. I hope it's nothing serious.

Rhonda

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Kay! Kim had some very great advice, my first thought would be a URI, too. I was going to say dab a little neosporin on the wound, too. Glad you got an appt today and good luck with Maggie! You'll be in my thougts, hon. Keep us posted.

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope her appointment goes good and that its nothing too serious. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I'm back to work now & Maggie is back home. She does indeed have a URI which I was told is very common when getting a kitten from a shelter? They put her on a course of Clavamox and she has to go back for a re-check in 2 weeks. If improved (which they expect she should be since I was able to catch it early) she will then get her next set of shots.

Thanks for everyones support! I figured I was being paranoid but its always better to be safe than sorry... I was going by the theory "when in doubt, check it out" and now I'm glad I did
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstybrat
I'm back to work now & Maggie is back home. She does indeed have a URI which I was told is very common when getting a kitten from a shelter? They put her on a course of Clavamox and she has to go back for a re-check in 2 weeks. If improved (which they expect she should be since I was able to catch it early) she will then get her next set of shots.

Thanks for everyones support! I figured I was being paranoid but its always better to be safe than sorry... I was going by the theory "when in doubt, check it out" and now I'm glad I did
I'm glad that Maggie is being treated and she will be ok! Good job Kay!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Clavamox is the URI wonder drug Maggie will be feeling much better in no time Glad you took her in, never doubted you wouldn't though

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she is feeling better in no time!! Give her a little nose rub for me!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Miss New Booty

I hope Maggie is feeling better soon, Kay! How is she doing with her medicine? Give her a hug from me, too!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 02:34 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Hope Maggie is feeling better soon.

Tags
dry food, ear mites, outdoor cat, vet visit, vet visits, wet food