Something's up with kojack kitty... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Something's up with kojack kitty...

Kojack's developing some issues. When we picked him up his left eye and nostril seemed to be "in poor health". His left nostril stays quite...bugery...and his left eye was the same, sometimes a thick mucus would be in or around his eye. The mucus seems to have cleared up...I was told it was normal in some kittens, just to keep an eye out for certain signs of deterioration. His nostril seems to stay crusted over, though. He seemed to also have a light scabbing in the nostril...I thought maybe the other kitten hooked him while they were playing. Really all of it seemed just like stresses related to sinus problems and enviroment changes.

A couple days ago I noticed something new. A small, 1/8" flakey area by his left ear...right at the corned facing his eye. Again, I thought maybe he got hooked or ran into something (he runs into a lot of things trying to escape and catch Lady...he's a clutz). Tongiht, though, the spot is closer to 1/4" in diameter and he's got several more smaller ones...two in front of the other ear, one over each eye, and I think one on his back but not sure. They're slightly inflamed, but not painful or feverish. They look just like the start of a heat-spot (my dog gets them often) or like fever blister.

Any ideas? He's going to the vet sometime this week to get his shots updated but I'm curious now. Thanks!!

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...or does a gecko have me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like he may have ringworm and possibly an upper respiratory infection. Both are treatable with meds from your vet

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Well it sounds like he has a URI which could be bacterial or viral herpes or chlamydia. Any of which could need antibiotics for his eyes or he could end up losing his eyes. He also may need to be on an oral antibiotic to clear up is URI or to prevent a secondary infection if its viral. The spots do sound like ringworm which needs to be treated with special shampoo immediately because you could catch it and spread it to everyone else. You might want to check the ears for earmites if you notice the kitty scratching at his ears a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I've seena lot ringworm cases and I don't think that's it...possibly, though...I've never seen it on a cat.

He does have some garbage in his ears, but not a lot. I don't have any ear-mite stuff or I'd use it...he doesn't seem to be bothered much. Doesn't scratch much or anything.

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Newborn Pup

Did you recently get him? Cuz maybe he caught somethin' from his mum, which is actually kinda' common.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Looking at him tonight he now has the classic ring-worm evidence...red irritated area with a pale, flakey ring. Bleh. He's going to the vet tomorrow and I'm going shopping either then or the enxt day...ring-worm stuff comes up then.

I have a gecko...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookie2
Did you recently get him? Cuz maybe he caught somethin' from his mum, which is actually kinda' common.
I've now had him...ummm...6 weeks I think....early May I think.

I have a gecko...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I just found a small spot just like kojack's on lady cat's head (in front of her ear), then one right behind her rib cage and one on her front left leg. They look vaguely reminescent of what I'm familiar with of ringworm...but my experience has always shown infections to be flush with the skin and appear bruised with a vibrant ring surrounding the infection, discolored flesh. All of their "wounds" appear to be rashed and elevated from the flesh...like very dry skin...with skin flaking and pealing away from the center.

I just washed both of them with an anti-bacterial soap and anti-something pet shampoo...now I need a blood transfusion. Anyway...as said...they're going to the vet soon so I'm not too concerned at the moment...but I'll keep posting back in here...

I have a gecko...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Nevermind...I found plenty of stuff saying they were still remeniscent of ringworm. I'll be looking for some anti-fungal shampoo.

I was told that some athlete's foot treatments were effective...since it's the same dermatophytid infection. Any insight?

(to point out...the people who live out in the sticks call where I live "the sticks"...only other treatment I might find locally will be for large livestock...anything from the local vet will be about 4 times it's accepted retail value.)

p.s. A 15 minute edit window is really obsurd...these could have all been one post...but oh well...

I have a gecko...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Newborn Pup

Wow...atheletes foot, huh? I'd never would have thought of that!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Guess he won't be going to the vet for a while......my "call when you're ready to come in" appointment just got pushed to "we can't see them until the middle of next week"...they apparently "don't have any vets in today". And I'm driving to South Padre next week...

I have a gecko...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Newborn Pup

when i first read your thread thingy, it kinda sounded like an extreme case of dandruff! [B]

Tags
respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection