spaying ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

spaying ?

i was wondering does spaying a female cat change there personailty ? felicia has been grawling none stop at moe,and i was just wondering if spaying her will change her personailty, moe is a neutured male, and we do plan to have felicia spayed either way but i was just wondering if it would help with her attidude?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Keep in mind cats are matriarchal. Females claiming dominance will often make sure neutered males know they're below them. So....not necessarily, I wouldn't think.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I know weve only had her a little while and we are trying to let her adjust, but we were wondering about spaying as shes no longer just grawling at moe but at hubby as well. is there any good points about spaying female cats other then they wont be able to have babies ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
It's all for them

Many reasons to spay. Cats go into heat repeatedly, every few weeks, until they get pregnant or spayed.

A cat in heat WILL get out, eventually. And once out she WILL get pregnant. Or lost. or Killed.

Spaying prevents uterine cancer and pyometra (infection of the uterus), both very serious and usually fatal.

Spaying greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer. With every heat cycle her risk of breast cancer (and the other two diseases mentioned) increases.

Endless heat cycles are rough on the kitty both physically and emotionally. And misery for everyone else in the house too.

No, her personality will not change, she is who she is.

How long has she been with you? It takes time for a cat to adjust, and for her personality to blossom. Growling at other cats and people is normal for a cat in a new situation.

As for the female being top ranking cat....well I have three girl cats and one male, and HE is Top Cat, they all kowtow to Himself.

PS my kitten was only recently spayed, and her personality is as delightful as it was before the spay.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Many reasons to spay. Cats go into heat repeatedly, every few weeks, until they get pregnant or spayed.

A cat in heat WILL get out, eventually. And once out she WILL get pregnant. Or lost. or Killed.

Spaying prevents uterine cancer and pyometra (infection of the uterus), both very serious and usually fatal.

Spaying greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer. With every heat cycle her risk of breast cancer (and the other two diseases mentioned) increases.

Endless heat cycles are rough on the kitty both physically and emotionally. And misery for everyone else in the house too.

No, her personality will not change, she is who she is.

How long has she been with you? It takes time for a cat to adjust, and for her personality to blossom. Growling at other cats and people is normal for a cat in a new situation.

As for the female being top ranking cat....well I have three girl cats and one male, and HE is Top Cat, they all kowtow to Himself.

PS my kitten was only recently spayed, and her personality is as delightful as it was before the spay.
shes only been with me a couple of days, i asked about the personality change incase she doesnt get any better,shes starting to adjust, to us adleast, my mom has a female cat and not all females try and get outside, but i do see your point. thank you for the info you have provided about the spaying . greatly appreciated

By Anonymous
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Playful Pup

We had the kitten spayed just over a week ago, she had her stitches out a couple of days ago, and she's just as mad as ever. Nothing's changed about her. She still runs about the house trying to play with our older cat, exactly as she did before. Even when she had to wear the cone, it didn't change her behaviour; it just made her more funny to watch :]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieDemons View Post
We had the kitten spayed just over a week ago, she had her stitches out a couple of days ago, and she's just as mad as ever. Nothing's changed about her. She still runs about the house trying to play with our older cat, exactly as she did before. Even when she had to wear the cone, it didn't change her behaviour; it just made her more funny to watch :]
supringly thats sorta a relief to hear

By Anonymous
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Playful Pup

Yeah, I was a little nervous that she'd go all mopey and not so energetic; but it hasn't changed her in the slightest. I think the only thing she does now which she didn't used to do as much before, is she will come to you for attention and let you stroke her without trying to bite your hand, like she used to. She still does it occasionally, but she's more loving than fighting now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
Newborn Pup

Both of my girls are spayed, one was much older because she wasn't living with us at the time. But I honestly have seen no difference in their personalities. The only thing was some how my girl in the time from going to the vet for surgery and coming home she learned how to jump onto counters ;;. Not a big deal, it was just funny.

Anyway. I have not seen any differences in them. They are both perfectly happy and one year old and very playful.

I'm never having children. I have two cats. Sisters no less.

Mother to:

Neko

Cleo

Tags
spaying