Strange behavior!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Question Strange behavior!?

Ok, question's coming..quick story first..
We rescued a stray cat from outside about a month ago that was very people friendly and kept coming to our door. How could we say no, lol! Well, my brother wanted to keep her and my parent's said it was ok. We named her Gabby, she is a sweetheart! So, she lives at my parents house. So, we took her to the vet a month ago when we found her. We had feline lukemia and other blood tests done. She had a complete checkup,and all checked out fine! The vet thought she was about 1 years old, small and petite, about 7 1/2 lbs. However, she had no way of knowing for sure if she was spayed, she couldn't see any scars or anything. When she checked her, she wasn't in heat or anything either. She said as long as she was only going to be around my 3 cats, who are all fixed, and since she was going to be strictly indoors, it was up to us when to get her fixed. She said they might not even know until they were to start surgery if she was fixed or not, some places do a tiny incision with no scars. I didn't want to overwhelm Gabby with getting her used to everything and all of us and her new home, we didn't want to lose her trust, so we decided we would wait a little bit and take her in to get spayed, rather than right away. I am not familiar with this, since Snugs and Ging were fixed when I adopted them, and we got Smokie done at 7 months. She said it's not like dogs going into heat, cats are very clean, so there wouldn't be blood and they are really friendly and can make real loud meows, I guess looking for a mate.
Ok, onto the question. My brother called me today and said Gabby was acting weird, but I have never heard of this. She was fine this morning and when he got home. He went later to check on her and as soon as he went in the room, she got low to the ground, looking like a pounce stance, moving her tail and back end. He thought "oh I guess she's playing" But she kept doing this, everytime she saw him or anyone else, but when they left the room and observed her, she wasn't doing this anymore? But they would go back in and she would get all low to the ground again, and stay that way, like in pounce mode, until they left the room. It's very weird. They would bring her into the other room, and she was still doing it?! Now, she stopped doing it. I have no idea if this has anything to do with going into heat, I have never heard of it. I told them to listen for any loud meows like the vet said, and we will go from there.
Does anyone have any ideas on this weird behavior??

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:43 PM

It sounds like she might be in heat! All of the cat's I've seen in heat do that crouch thing, with thier butts in the air, meow alot and loud, and are EXTRA friendly, lol. I don't know for sure but you could probably tell if you checked her out, if female cats are anything like other animals her area will look swollen and puffy. Any petting at the rear end by the base of her tail will drive her nuts too, lol.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:24 PM

Sounds like she's in heat to me too. Of course then again we have a cat in the shelter that was spayed and still acts as though she is going into heat and she does this all the time. I would think that since she was an outside cat if someone did have her spayed they would have used disolvable stitches and you would be able to see a scar. They probably need to at least shave her to get a better view if there is a scar or not. I wouldn't worry too much about the behavior right now just keep an eye out for any other strange behaviors like trouble walking, lethargia (is that even the right word ??), not eating... stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sounds like she could be in heat to me too. One thing I noticed with one of my girls, before she got fixed, is that she began to spray everything! Not very pleasent. Not all girls do, but keep a watch out.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks guys for the info! Sounds like it's possible she could be in heat then. I thought you guys would think I sounded weird or something, lol. My brother said she is eating ok, and seems ok other than that. I will have him keep a close eye on her. If it is heat, how long does it usually last?
Dena- Ya, I thought, too, if they shaved her when we take her to get spayed, they might see before they have to make the insicion.
Becki, I will have my brother check her out to see if she is swollen at all.
Lixx- ohhh jeese, we'll have to keep an eye for that!
Most of the time, I would think she wouldn't be spayed, but she clearly is very people friendly, was very clean and ran right into our house and totally trusted us. So, I think this cat has been in someone's house before, the only reason I am thinking she possibly could be spayed. I guess we shall see!
Thanks guys!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
male cat