stray cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

stray cat

I live in an apartment complex where stray cats is part of the norm. But the tiniest of the bunch has found a haven (for lack of a better word) with my family but it is very evident that she is sick. I was hoping someone could help on what she might have.. And if it's going to cost a fortune to get her healthy again...

I managed to attach a flea collar but she still scratches a lot. Why?

I once read that if a cat's ears smell it may be a sign of something serious. Her ears smell. What exactly could this mean?

She eats like a beast but is nothing but skin and bones. Is this only a sign of parasites or something more serious?

and lastly,

That cute purring sound cats make when they are pet isn't so cute on this one. It sounds like she has a phlegm ball lodged in her throat all the time. What could this be?

I would really appreciate any insight and suggestions.
Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Take that flea collar off right now, they're toxic!

You can kill fleas by giving a cat a bath using Dawn dish soap.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 07-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

how are they toxic?

i can't really bathe her.. she's a stray and becomes extremely violent when agitated even a little. Carrying her is out of the question.

and to be honest, i think the flea collar is the least of the poor cat's concerns, healthwise..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How about reading the story of this guy? http://www.our-happy-cat.com/cat-flea-collars.html

"The Poison Necklace A Pesticide collar is nothing but a poison necklace around your pet’s head. It emits a constant toxic cloud that your pet inhales, and so do you, every time you hug your pet. What about those insecticidal flea and tick shampoos and powders, sprays and dips? Labels warn you not to get any on your skin, use rubber gloves and wash your hands! Yet, they are rubbed into your pet’s skin and then are licked by your pet! Signs of pesticide overdose in your pet can include vomiting, diarrhea, trembling, seizures and respiratory problems. Flea Collars: The Cancer Prevention Coalition (CPC), which informs the public about preventable exposures to carcinogens, list many brand-name products as containing either carcinogens or neurotoxins, or both. Avoid flea collars by Longlife, Hartz, Pet Agree, Sergeant’s and Zodiac. Flea and tick dips, sprays, powders, foggers and bombs: click the headline and scroll down the new page to learn more about how to control fleas without resorting to chemicals."

That's quoted from this site: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/avictim.htm

And there's many other cases out there of cats getting seriously ill from flea collars. It is NOT the least of her concerns. Oh, not to mention flea collars don't actually work, so.... All they do is poison the cat, because the chemicals from the collar are being absorbed through her skin. Skin is a huge sponge, so when you expose it to chemicals in the air, or against the skin, the skin will absorb it, and reak havoc on the creature from the inside.

Now, you can add Garlic Powder to her diet, as fleas don't like the taste of a cat eating garlic. 1/16 tsp Garlic Powder sprinkled dry in her food every day for a week, and it should start to repel the fleas. And of course you have to get rid of the fleas in the carpet. I've read sprinkling salt and baking powder into the carpet, and letting it sit for a day, and then vacuuming it kills them.

Garlic Powder will not only deter fleas, but kill any parasitic worms she may have. There is no risk of Heinz anemia as long as you only use 1/16 tsp Garlic Powder, and only for a week, then wait a few weeks, and if she appears to be bothered by parasitic worms again, use the Garlic Powder for another week. I've used Garlic Powder to deworm 3 cats, and it works amazing. As long as it doesn't get wet, cats'll eat it no problem. And as long as the Garlic Powder doesn't heavily coat the food to the point the smell of the Garlic outdoes the smell of the food, they'll eat it no problem. I recommend using Organic Garlic Powder because...it's organic.

Also, the type of food she's eating will severely effect rebounds of parasites. If cats are fed on raw food, or a diet as close to it as possible, with minimally-heated meat as possible, they will be worm-free after being wormed once. However, feeding the commercial pet food that's infiltrated with grains, and carbohydrates, those actually create the perfect internal environment for parasites like worms, and it is incredibly hard to say goodbye for them forever. People, so long as they're feeding those carb and sugar-laced commercial pet foods, experience a constant struggle with having to deworm their pets. Cats are being fed way too much carbohydrates in commercial pet foods - they don't derive energy from storing carbohydrates, they derive energy from pure meat protein.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 07-29-2010 at 07:51 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have heard that flea collars don't really work as well as they should. Flea drops are pretty spendy, and I don't know what the overlap time is between flea collar and drops. A flea comb should work pretty well, they're only about 2-4 bucks at petco and though they don't get all the fleas off, it is a very good start.

How is she eating? If she's eating a good amount, I think parasites could be the culprit. Look around on the internet to see what weight the cat has to be to be dewormed. De wormer is over the counter, and I don't think it costs very much either.

Her skin scratching may also be caused by parasites, and maybe mites, and also maybe just skin irritation. What does her skin/fur look like?

The purring may just be her. Other than the purring issue, is she breathing alright?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

There's also many many many cases of those kinds of dewormer causing 48 hour paralysis in the hind quarters. Which is why I prefer the the alternative medicine approach, because a medication attacking the nervous system in a cat to cause hind-quarter paralysis doesn't appeal to me. There isn't any side-effects when treating worms in alternative medicine, I wouldn't want to put their body through that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

she breathes pretty rapidly but i'm not sure if that's because something is wrong or if it's because she's scared of me being too close to her. i'm not a cat expert by any means but from what i can tell her coat looks fairly good despite the dirt she likes to roll around in. i can't get close enough to examine her skin =/
and thanks FlickeringHope. i'll remove the collar and i'll try the garlic thing to see how she responds to it. either way, i'm still going to take her in to the humane society to at least get her a rabies shot or something.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

No problem. I mention Garlic Powder because I've had superb luck with it, and it's not as dosage-sensitive like Wormwood and Black Walnut are. I'm no cat expert either, I've just done loads of research, and speak(or type, rather), based on the luck I've had doing it with my own cats and from what the luck which I've read that other people have had using it. Plus it helps to believe in alternative medicine to begin with, lol. The food I feed them everyday uses garlic as an ingredient, and they are perfectly healthy kitties. I've read people who sprinkle Garlic powder in their cat's food bowls everyday with success, and their cats haven't experienced any sort of Heinz Anemia. I personally recommend it as an everyday thing, I mean I'm cool with it being in my pet's food, but I'm sure the amount is much more minimal than it would be with just sprinkling it purely into food every day. It all depends, of course, much like with modern medicine, on the amount that you give them and for how long.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, taking her in would be good. I know my shelter does this, you can check if yours does, but they rent out cage-traps so you can put food in and it snaps shut.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yea my shelter does it too. i think they charge 15 bucks a day and another 15 bucks to give them a rabies shot and have them fixed. i'll have to look further into it.