stray cat ques. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question stray cat ques.

there is this stray cat in my neighborhood. i'd seen it around from afar before and thought it was someone's cat. well, one night (about 3 days ago) it was in my driveway. it was kind of skinny and had no tags, so i gave it some of layla's food (my cat i'm watching). now, of course, it comes around a lot. i just don't have the heart to not feed it. it's a very sweet cat and is, like i said, on the skinny side. so my ques is...

am i doing anything wrong by feeding it? should i do something else for it? should i have it picked up? i would just feel bad if it spent a bunch of time in a shelter and was, possibly, euthanized. (i do realize that it could die on the streets, also.)

so should i tell the shelter? or is it ok to just feed it?

thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane, my mom had the same thing happen to her. A little skinny cat started hanging around and my sister started feeding it. We think the cat was probably dumped there or someone moved and left her. Pretty soon the kitty stayed in our front yard all of the time. My mom wouldn't officially say it was our cat, because we had a cat already and she didn't want another one. Well...that was about 6 years ago and she still has this cat living in her frontyard! She feeds the kitty and she gives her a blanket at night and lots of attention, but she doesn't get her vaccinated or take her to the vet. (she did take her once when she got sick one time).

Now, I really don't approve of the whole thing because I feel like if you are going to care for a pet, you should provide them with everything they need instead of just feeding them. So if it would have been me, I would have taken the kitty in or I would have found her a new home. I don't think I would have taken her to a shelter because I doubt she would have had much of a chance there. She is a little feral from being outside her whole life.

Anyway, is there a chance that you could feed the kitty and try to find her a new home where she can be fully taken care of? Or maybe you could try to contact a cat rescue or something? If it was me, I wouldn't have her picked up unless she would be going to a no-kill shelter or rescue. Let me know what happens!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

veggers-
i want to get it its shots, etc. but not having the money for that right now, i really just want to find it a good home. it doesn't seem very feral at all. it meows a lot and will get within about 8-10 feet of me. it seems very sweet. i will try seeing if there are no-kill, cat rescues somewhere around here. that would be the best. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yeah, that would be awesome. I'm sure you can find a kitty rescue near you.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

BC's Story

When we were house-hunting, I noticed a small black cat (a kitten, I was sure) roaming in the nextdoor neighbor's junk piles... I never thought I'd see it again, or come to know it so well, but I did.

The black kitten turned out to be full grown. She was probably so small because she was likely abandoned young or born on the streets, and was malnourished. She just never grew to her potential. She had at one point broken her hind leg, and no one took her to the vet, so it healed improperly. She could not use it at all.

We dubbed her "BC" for "Black Cat," and she had two litters next door. We thought she was owned by the next door neighbors, and that they weren't very good owners. But she had actually just made their junk piles her home.

We didn't see much of her until the second litter. She seemed to be comfortable with us by then. The kittens would visit us when they were young, though they became a bit more skittish as they got older.

We began feeding them when we found a dead kitten in our garage. It had been gnawed on. We later saw the mother carrying it off to finish it.

To make a long story short, we spent MONTHS trying to befriend the momma (BC,) her son from her first litter (Midnight,) and her latest three kittens (Nyx, Po, and B.E.) Finally it paid off. We lured them into a cardboard box that was rigged up to trap them, using tuna fish as the bait. Then while they were happily munching away, as they did everyday in our carport, we snuck up and closed the box on them, taping it to secure them. (No worries, we had lots of holes punched in it for air. We had no other way to secure them, since our only other option was to drive an hour away and borrow a humane cat trap form the Humane Society for $80+)

We took them to the HS and turned them over. We were told BC and Midnight were too feral to be adopted out, but that the kittens had a chance.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i called the people at petsmart to get the # to the people that adopt the cats out of there. they gave me the # and i called. the place is a no-kill and all that - but they won't even consider taking the cat because i "found" it in another city. according to them i have to contact someone in denton (where i live) to give the owners (if there are owners) a chance to claim the cat. so..........
i called the spca (police affiliated) in denton and they said that i could bring the cat in, but it would have 1 week to be adopted out. then it would be put to sleep.
so then i called the marilyn wells (the lady i talk to about my neighbor's neglected dog, rocky). she is with the humane society. she called me today and told me that there are a few cat/animal rescues around here but that she thinks they are all full. (her association fosters the animals and they are all full). she said they most likely will not take the cat. also, it might not have a good chance because it is feral (i can get close to it, but barely touch it's head before it moves away. it's not mean, just scared). so........she said my best bet would be a shelter (as in a kill shelter). she said that she knows it's a hard decision, but that there are so many other horrible things that a stray cat faces (disease, cars, others animals, dogs) that this is the most humane thing. i made her give me the #'s of all the rescues (no-kill) and i'm going to call tomorrow just in case! marilyn suggested that i keep the cat, but i don't think i can cause of chaquita (barks her head off, freaks out) and because i wouldn't know what to do with it if i'm out of town. so i don't know what to do............ just sucks.

i know for SURE that if i can catch the cat, i will bring it to low cost spay/neuter to have it fixed and get it shots.

do you guys think i should do this and try to "support" it as an outside cat or do you think i should take it to a shelter?

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

If it was me I don't think I would be able to bring her to a kill shelter, knowing that she would most likely be put to sleep. I would probably support her as an outdoor kitty and try to find her a home in the meantime. Its really your decision Jane. You need to do whats best for you and what you think is best for the kitty. Like I said, I couldn't bring myself to take her to a shelter especially with her being feral and everything. She wouldn't have much of a chance there. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you can find her a rescue.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane....Your kind of in a tough spot hun.... If it were me, I would either keep feeding the kitty outdoors and try to get her shots and spayed.... Call the local animal shelter, or animal warden (whatever they are called there) and see about the possibility of help with money for shots and spaying.... If they can not offer you any help maybe they can give you some numbers of possible cat rescues/fosterers in your area. I wouldn't take her to a shelter though if she is as sweet as you are saying, because sadly if it isn't a no-kill shelter with her being a "stray" she could be put down after 7-10 days if nobody claims her.
I agree with Steph though, it is your decision and you need to do what you feel is best for you and for the kitty...... Best of luck hun hang in there

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you guys! the lady (marilyn wells) said that if i decide to keep him/her that they could help me out with shots, food, etc...

but i just can't have a cat. i brought up just keeping him/her and keeping it as an outside cat. she said that they would rather see the cat in the shelter (cause of the problems i mentioned above). so...i don't know. i'm going to just try and get it to let me hold it (even touch it) so i can get it fixed and get it shots. that's my 1st step. i didn't see it today...i think it'll come back though.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh my... what a hard situation, Jane! I know how you feel about seeing the kitty outside and wanting to help him/her. Since our apt., we have always fed the outside cats. It made me so sad to see all these cats.. They were all over our apt complex, we would leave out food and water bowls. They never let us pet them, though. When we moved to our second house, we saw a black kitty outside, kind of looked like the nieghborhood cat, hung around the cul-de-sac, layed in our driveway and our cars and let us pet him. We think he might have been the neighbors outdoor cat. So, we left food out and other cats came around, too. We were out getting cat food for these kitties! My vet said "Those kitties know where to go!!!!" So, this is how my brother got Gabby! She came around a year ago, and was so friendly, and would come up to us and try to run in my house! lol! After a couple weeks, she was still hanging out on our frontdoor step. We made a box/bed for her and she would sleep in it! So, my brother asked my mom if he could keep her and she said "yes" so we took her to the vet for tests, shots, etc. Everything checked out fine, she was estimated to be 1 years old. Such a sweetie. Then, at the same time, we had a backyard hang out cat, that was afraid to come near us, but get this.. LOVED our dogs! What on earth!? Kahlua would sit there and the cat would come up to him and roll around! LOL! We had a bowl of food out there for him every night, and when we moved and we couldn't get him to come with us, Brad told our landlord and he said he and his daughter were going to feed him! I felt SO bad we weren't able to take him.
Now, as we speak, Brad said there is a cat outside in the front yard. Yup, we have food here for them, too. They know where to go!
I hope everything works out, Jane! Keep us posted girl!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I would also do what Steph suggested and try to keep it as an outdoor cat while looking for a home and trying to tame it...the tamer it is, the better the chance of adoption. No matter what you decide is best, I support you

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

Maybe you could become a foster family for her and help her get adopted out that way. Maybe room will open up at a no-kill shelter and she'll be able to go there then. That way you aren't taking her permanently and she'll have a chance for a good life.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you guys! i haven't seen the cat in a couple of days! i don't know where it went. but if i see it again i think i'm just going to get it fixed and shotted and try and get it in a no-kill shelter. i'll take care of it till then though. i hope i see it soon!

btw - it looks very much like Lvnmycritters's Gordie.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

update:

well, i hadn't seen the kitty in about a week. but then earlier today i put some popcorn out in the front lawn for the birds and, lo and behold, guess who's eating the popcorn tonight?? so the cat is back! (i gave it cat food, btw) and guess what?!?! i got to stroke it today!!!!!! yah! it was scared, but i sat down and when it passed by me, i just stroked it's back. and now it lets me pet it and rub it on the head! yah! he/she was purring, too. the cat is really sweet. was just a little scared. now that i can touch/pet it, i will be trying to pick it up so that i can get it fixed and shotted.

i wonder if it's a boy or a girl.....hmmmm.........

btw, i've had a "name" for it, but didn't want to say it cause it makes it harder to be unattached, but i'll tell you guys anyways...
COOKIE. cause it's white with black spots. now we can all call it that from now on.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

btw- i'll try and take a picture soon!

Tags
animal rescue, animal shelter, black cat, black spots, cardboard box, cat food, humane society, litter box, local animal shelter, outdoor cat, water bowl