Stubborn, stubborn (and crazy) Galina - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Stubborn, stubborn (and crazy) Galina

Last Friday we took Galina in to be spayed because I just couldn't take it anymore! She was driving me NUTS! I had wanted to wait until she was bigger (for a kitten that is 7 months old, she looks like she's only 3 months old), but with her going into heat every 1.5 weeks and being VERY moody/hormonal all the time, she was making everyone miserable.

Well, at the doctor's office, she kept spitting and hissing in her bag. But, like always, when I took her out, she started purring. UNTIL the doctor gave her a shot of anaesthetic! Then she chomped down on my sweater sleeve (but thankfully didn't get my skin) and started growling again. When we had Gerona spayed, it took her a whopping 3 minutes to throw up and go to sleep, but Galina just felt she couldn't be like that! It was 6 minutes before she threw up and another EIGHT minutes before she finally quit fighting the drug and was fully asleep.

When we got home about two hours later, she wouldn't quit banging around in her bag. We had made a soft bed for her in the bedroom and I put her in it just to watch her flip and stuggle to get out. She REFUSED to rest! She tumbled out of the bed and was staggering/falling her way into the kitchen, where she DEMANDED she was going to eat! I had to hold her up just so she could get something to eat and drink before she would finally rest. Such a stubborn kitten!

And the presence of the e-collar turns her into the cat version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. With her collar on, she's such a sweet kitten. She'll lay on your lap, purr, and be so nice. But as soon as your take it off, she turns into a monster. She'll growl and slap and attempt to bite you if you even look at her funny.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I know each cat is different (Gerona wanted to rest for a few days and that was that) but my goodness! Galina doesn't want to slow down a bit! After her surgery and later on, when we went to bed, Galina decided she was too good to sleep on the floor on the little bed we made and jumped on the bed. (I kept hearing a lot of thumps that woke me up from her falls until she finally made it and I realised what she was doing.) The next day she was already trying to play with Gerona again.

She really does just baffle me.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

Geeze she is quite a fighter.

I haven't had any experiences like that at all. When I had Cat spayed she was maybe 7 months old and was in heat. The vets in Germany kept her over night.
I just had Angel spayed in August, she was 5 months old (barely) but I had to because the shelter I adopted her from had a relinquish clause in the contract if I didn't comply by the date of the certificate.
She was also kept overnight here in Wisconsin.
I was pretty shocked to read that they actually had you take her home only hours after the surgery? Yikes!

Hope she's feeling better now.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnmycritters
I was pretty shocked to read that they actually had you take her home only hours after the surgery? Yikes!
That's usually the trend here in Finland. When I had Gerona spayed, I picked her up 30 minutes after dropping her off! It was enough time to run home, drop off Galina (who had a check-up), get something to drink, and then go back.

Galina is 7 months old and went BACK into heat the day before surgery (she had gone out of heat the previous Friday). About two hours after we got home, she wasn't drugged anymore and was crawling on the floor like she was still in heat. She's our little huzzy.

She's doing well now, though. She's not wearing the e-collar anymore and is running around and acting completely normal like she used to before the surgery (except no more crawling on the floor and sticking her butt in our sheltie's face--he's her boyfriend, you know)!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!