Suckling on earlobes and kneeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Suckling on earlobes and kneeding

My little Frodo (not so little anymore ) is now over 9 months old and he still jumps on your chest and kneeds your neck and suckles and licks your earlobes. Is this normal behaviour? Will it stop? Should this behaviour be discouraged?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Pet Lovers Resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

my cat is nine months old and still loves to suckle our armpits (of all places!) and our clean clothes if he can get to the basket. When I first got him the advice I got here was that if I couldn't get him to stop (which I couldn't) he should out grow at around one year of age. I'm just waiting now! I tried to discourage it and got nowhere and it is a sign of affection so don't punish him for it. I was putting him down every time he suckled but he suckles every time he got a cuddle and I decided I didn't want him to be anti-social cause of it!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i adopted a stray that is about 3-4 yrs old and he still loves to knead on me and on pillows. i think it's cute so i let him do it.

they say that animals that suckle when they are older were probably taken away from their mom too early. this could be the case or it could just be something that calms him down. either way, i don't think it hurts anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Gerona has two blankets in the house that she LOVES to knead and suckle, and I let her do it because it soothes her and makes her happy.

Because she has her two blankets now, she no longer suckles on my husband's shirts (WHILE HE'S WEARING THEM, no less)! So, you could try buying your kitty a soft blanket and use it a lot when you sit on the couch to it absorbs your sent and they may want to suckle that instead.

Some cats simply love to suckle. I don't think it's always a matter of, "Oh, they were separated from their mother too young," but rather that they just like to do it and it is a sort of therapy to them. It's why some teenagers still suckle their thumbs occassionally--it's a sort of subconscious soothing mechanism that makes them feel better. It worked when they were babies, and it works now.

As long as your cat is just SUCKLING and not EATING the fabric, I personally don't see a problem with it except that you have a wet spot afterwards. However, this is just my opinion on the matter.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Socks suckles my blanket and kneads it, but she prefers to do it in my hair...after a seizure or some bad day for her I let her get away with attacking my hair, but usually I just put the blanket next to me and shes happy...

does anyone else's cat sleep under the blankets with them? Socks (mama) loves to get under the blanket and sleep against my belly...my dog used to do that before she passed away, so I like it, kinda helps, but Ken says shes wierd....

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If the house is not too hot, Gerona will come sleep under the blankets with us. She's done this since she was 4 weeks old.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
Socks suckles my blanket and kneads it, but she prefers to do it in my hair...after a seizure or some bad day for her I let her get away with attacking my hair, but usually I just put the blanket next to me and shes happy...

does anyone else's cat sleep under the blankets with them? Socks (mama) loves to get under the blanket and sleep against my belly...my dog used to do that before she passed away, so I like it, kinda helps, but Ken says shes wierd....

Frodo likes to sneak under the blanket and lie between my ankles and knees. I guess he likes his little tent.

- Pet Lovers Resource
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Egg paddy paws (what we call kneading!) my neck and nestles under my hair during the day and night and has done so since she was 5 weeks old, its so nice to give her a big cuddle and be cuddled back, she excessively salivates whilst doing so and i end up soaked, she literally dribbles whilst paddy pawing anything, bless her!