swollen bum - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

swollen bum

Hey everyone i have a female cat about 3 or 4 years old she has her shots but has not been spayed. Shes eating normally and still going to the litter box as normal but ive noticed when shes done she would drag her bum across the floor. Now i checked about 3 days ago her bum seemed fine but just today i check and on either side of her bum there are swollen mounds and there was a yellow discharge. Also the swelling seemed to spread abit into her tail. This was at about 4. now my gf just called me, its now 10, and apparently my cat is laying down with her leg up and it seems very swollen with what she said looked like blood. Please if you know what this is and what i can do im begging for help.

Last edited by Rewhymo; 08-18-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like she might have had her anal gland(s) rupture. Either way, she needs vet care now.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh my okay thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewhymo View Post
oh my okay thanks
No problem. Dragging their butts on the ground is a classic sign of impacted/full anal glands and if not expressed (either by the vet/you or the cat) they can rupture. The vet will probably clean the wounds and give you medications to help them heal and prevent infection. Good luck and keep us updated.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
It's all for them

This sounds more like a pyometra than anal glands. A pyometra is a terribly painful infection of the uterus and is fatal if not treated immediately.

Whether it is pyometra or ruptured anal glands your cat is in extreme pain. Please do get her to the vet right away.

As in. this is an emergency.

Let us know what happens.

Declawing: please read this first
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Betta Bomb

oh goodness!! I hope she's okay! Let us know
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
This sounds more like a pyometra than anal glands. A pyometra is a terribly painful infection of the uterus and is fatal if not treated immediately.

Whether it is pyometra or ruptured anal glands your cat is in extreme pain. Please do get her to the vet right away.

As in. this is an emergency.

Let us know what happens.
Ah, yeah, it could be that too. I didn't catch that the cat is unspayed. Hopefully she's ok.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
It's all for them

Anal gland rupture would have been my first thought too, except for the fact that the kitty is not spayed.

Either one, anal gland rupture or pyometra, will cause the kitty to be in excruciating pain. I do hope they've gotten her to the vet and treatment by now.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

okay so i called the vet and i told her what i saw and she said that its most likely anal glands and she said she has an appointment open saturday at 12. Now im not too worried because she asked me to describe what the area looked like and she said yes we see this often with ruptured anal glands. She asked me if the cat was eating drinking and still goin to the litter box. Apart from being a tad lazier her habits have not change which the vet said is a really good sign
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM
It's all for them

Just checking for an update on your kitty...Please let us know how she is doing

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

sorry i completly forgot to post. saw the vet and she was happy to hear that the swelling was already going down. And yes it was ruptured anal glands. Lucky for my cat when they ruptured they did so inwards so her body was already hard at work flushing it. now shes on meds and is energetic again no more rubbing her bum and the swelling is gone.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sorry, poor cat. There must be some infections being worsen this last few days but so glad she's finally getting better.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Betta Bomb

Glad to hear!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm glad she's ok!

~Stephanie

Tags
bleeding, bum, sick, swollen