sylvester had surgery this morning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Erin

Unhappy sylvester had surgery this morning

Yesterday evening I noticed sylvester had a very large lump that had grown in his ear. I called the vet and she said it sounded like a hematoma, that it needed cut open and drained. I scheduled him for surgery this morning at 9am, I got him home at 2:30, he's in a lot of pain, and all bandaged up but the good news is that his ear will be ok.

He goes monday for a bandage change, and he's on antibiotics twice a day. My poor boy!

Here is him and his bandaged ear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:14 PM

well, i'm glad to hear that he'll be ok. he looks very relaxed in that picture.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well the good news is that this is fairly common in dogs .... when they shake their heads they can burst a blood vessel. The cartiledge doesn't absorb blood and there's no where else for it to go, so it builds and swells, causing the hematoma which needs to be drained. He should be fine, but I'll keep him in my prayers! He's a good looking kitty, too!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:07 AM
Erin

Yes, the vet assured me it was fairly common in cats as well, same reasoning for them as well.

He's my little snuggle bear, I just hate seeing him in pain(as with any animal). He's sprawled across my arms on my desk now, impairing my typing speed

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:17 PM

aww the poor thing! I am glad he will be okay though!