The Tabby's Story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The Tabby's Story

A Little Tabby . . . Speaks for the feral cats of the world.

This article really touched me, and the chart below from it just downright made me mad.

Multiplication Chart for Cats

Two uncontrolled breeding cats create the following:
Two litters a year... at a survival rate of 2.8 kittens per litter with continued breeding ---
12 cats the first year
66 cats the second year
2,201 cats in the third year
3,822 cats in the fourth year
12,680 cats in the fifth year and so on

multiplying to a staggering 80,399,780 cats in the tenth year!!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:04 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Wow ! Those numbers are unbelievable ! Such a sad story, it's hard to think of what so many of these feral cats go through.

I lived in a trailer court where the feral cat population was just ridiculous ... the landlord and park manager would do a "round-up" every so often, and all the cats they caught went to the dog warden to be euthanized There was an older woman who had over 30 cats in her trailer, when she died they went in to get them and they were all so diseased they had to be put down.
One of her two males that lived outside was a big tabby - I'm sure he's my Lizzie's daddy. She's a feral rescue from out there. I'm glad we saved at least her and her littermates.
With the weirdos that lived there, I'm surprised they didn't go around shooting the feral cats like in the story.

Sharon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 07:54 PM

That story has me bawling for those cats and the kitten....Those numbers are astounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 08:23 PM

That's just so sad. It really makes a case for neutering/spaying your cats. I always said if I ever hit the lottery big I would quit my job and run a cat rescue and educate people on spaying/neutering.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

So sad...

Tags
feral cats