Taking in a pregnant queen - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Exclamation Taking in a pregnant queen

All right, guys. I'm going to need all your fingers crossed for me soon.

A woman in my Finnish language course has a stray cat that has appeared around her home. The cat is VERY thin and is pregnant. The woman already has two cats and lives in a very small home, so obviously she doesn't have the space needed to house this third cat and her coming babies.

So, I've offered to take the poor thing in because we have a bedroom with a door that is fairly large and the cat can stay in there during the introductory phase.

What do you guys think about this? At first, the new cat will not even see my two girls and vice versa, since I know that's not the way to introduce two adult cats. And, I won't let the pregnant queen see Gerona and Galina until she's been checked up at the vet and wormed.

This cat needs someone to take her in to provide her a safe and warm place to have her babies.

Part of me views this as fate because just the other day I was at the animal shelter looking for a cat to adopt and none of them really struck my fancy because they did not need me. They were fat, happy cats content to live at the shelter. This poor girl needs me, though. She needs someone.

So, I'd like your thoughts on this. I don't know what I'll do with the kittens when they come, but I do know that if they can't find good homes away from me, they'll find good homes with me. And, the queen will be spayed after having the babies. I would never let them wind up in a shelter.

Aside from a good food to help her gain weight (I'm considering giving her James Wellbeloved like I give Galina and Gerona or maybe trying to find a pet store here that sells the Eagle brand food), what are some other good things I can give her to help promote milk production? Should I give her an adult food, a kitten food or a mixture of both? I need some advice on helping milk production because I'm worried that, because she is so thin, her body will not be producing enough milk for the babies.

Thanks for any advice and well wishes in advance.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I know nothing about cats so cant give advice but I think it is great that you are taking her in and I hope she gets along with your cats.
I hope the kittens are born healthy and you find good loving homes for them all.
You are starting to become a guardian angel of that finnish class you know...

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Sheryl, I hope she eventually gets along with them, too.

But, she won't be meeting the girls face to face probably until after she has had her kittens. I don't want to stress her out even more, so I will wait to do any major introductions until after the kittens are born. Until then, they'll get to know each other through scent and room swapping.

Today I went out and bought some kitten food for her (wet and dry) along with some supplies that might come in handy if there are small birth complications.

This weekend I'm going to go buy a large plastic bin with a lid that I will cut a hole in to make a birthing den for her. I'll hope she'll feel comfortable enough to use it and NOT have the babies under my bed.

And, after we get her, probably shortly after Sami and I will be taking her to the vet so that a more thorough assesment can be made on her health. Also, I want to have her checked out for FeLV (Feline Leukemia) before she is introduced to my girls.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM

My suggestion would have been for the kitten food but I see you already got that. At the shelter we feed pregnant and nursing cats kitten food up until the kittens are completely weaned. When you have them separated (as long as she is healthy) you may want them to be able to smell one another, either through the door or on your clothes. That helps with introductions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I planned on getting them used to each other's scents first.

This is mainly for Galina's benefit, since she hates ANY change of ANY kind. So, I think it would be easier on my little Tuff if she just smells the newcomer's scent at first without seeing her.

So you think rubbing the new cat with a towel and leaving the towel out for my girls to smell is a good way of introducing scent at first? Also, after the newcomer gets a clean bill of health, I plan on doing the room swap, which is what a lot of sites recommended when introducing cats for the first time.

What would be some good ways to introduce her to the dogs? I was thinking of putting Seamus in his crate and letting HER go to him and check him out rather than him bounce around and run to her. With Kirby I was thinking something similar, only it would have to be with him on a leash and Sami and I make him lie down since we don't have a crate for Kirby. And, I planned on doing scent introductions with the dogs, too, since I think Kirby won't be as excited to see the cat if he's been smelling her for over a week. He LOOOVES kitties, but sadly they don't love him. So, I think if he gets used to her scent first, he won't be as excited about seeing her.

What do you think a good idea for a birthing den would be? I would like her to have a place that she feels secure in when giving birth to the kittens and I would prefer her not to have them under my bed. I was thinking of getting a VERY large plastic bin with a lid and cutting a hole in it and covering the bottom with newspapers and towels. Do you think this might entice her to use it as a birthing den, especially if I put it in a rather secluded/dark corner of the room?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'd like to suggest giving the mother a blanket to sleep on for a few days. Then leave that out where your kitties can investigate it. You can do this all the while without having them actually meet face to face. This may help for a better transition once she is no longer separated.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Rowan, I think this is awsome what your doing with this new kitty. I would love to do something like this in the future either when my cat is older, and when I have enough money to take care of more then one cat.

I dont know a whole lot about this topic for I am a new kitty owner. I wish you luck!!!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm worried.

Renąta came in today saying that the stray didn't show up yesterday and she's worried that she might have had her kittens.

I'm hoping that she's like most Finnish cats and hasn't had her kittens yet--they are usually born around Juhannus time (middle of June).

Unlike cats in America, Finnish cats that live outside have an actual mating season. Because the seasons are so distinct, their biological clocks are more closely programmed to that of a wild cat, who has a mating season and a birthing season. So, most Finnish cats give birth around mid-June.

I'm going over there tomorrow for certain, whether or not she shows up today. But, my classmate said that if she shows up today, she will catch her and put her in the bedroom. Keep your fingers crossed guys. I hope she and I can get this poor girl here safely.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no!
Maybe she got a bit spooked with all the interest in her.
she wants her babies to be safe.
Hope they find her again and get her to you

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge

Tags
animal shelter, kitten food, pet store