Talk to me about declawing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Talk to me about declawing

Some of you may know I have a rescue kitten. He has 2 paws on each leg (they aren't complete full paws) This means there are extra digits. He needs a back leg amputation on a deformed leg and the vet recommended declawing due to all the extra toes. I understand that sometimes the extra toes have problems with the claws but they seem to be lined up enough for him to sharpen them all evenly. I check them weekly and tend to two boneless toes that will have to be removed. I understand intense pain is involved with declawing and I feel the claws will benefit him if kept intact for balance and manuvering in general since the back will only have one leg.

Comments and advise welcome, thanks

Please help the kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:07 PM

I really wouldn'T if I were in your position. Declawing is infact just like cutting off your fingers at the first joint. I read a really good article on declawing I think it's still in my favorites I'll get the link when I get home from work tonight and post it.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I wish I could help give you a good answer.

I have seen the procedure done.It is awful.Even though they are given a shot to sleep some still cry out.I always recommend a pain shot to help the the first few hours.
If he seems to be doing fine and they are all the same length I don't think I would do it unless the kitty's health would be at stake.To me I feel he would need the claws to help in balancing himself with the back leg gone.If he was on the couch and was falling at least with the claws he could catch himself and pull back up or help break his fall.

This is just my 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I agree...if he is wearing his claws down evenly why put him through the pain? It might prove to be a problem later on in life and the vet might just be being nice and trying to save you money (instead of two lots of anaesthetic etc.) but I would wait and only do it if you have to...in the end though it's your decision and you have to do what's best.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mom had a cat that was polydactyl (he had 8 toes on each paw in the front and 7 on each paw in the back) and had to have a few of the toes declawed because they kept getting infected no matter how well they were trimmed down. It saved the cat alot of pain in the long run.

If he has a couple of toes that are trouble-some, then have those done but don't have all of them done. I agree with Runt that he may need them, especially if he's going to have a leg amputated.

Rhonda

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to you all for your insight it is of great value to me. I really love this little guy and want to do what is best. The vet was going to do the leg and neuter at the same time but the declawing would be done after recovery to avoid so much stress. I really thought declawing was not a good idea and like some of you said he needs those claws to catch himself to regain balance.
Thanks again
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 06:20 PM

Here is a link to some very graphic pictures.
http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

If the claw is causing a problem, I would suggest Soft Paws. I have just started using them for my male cat (who doesn't know how to play fair with our female) and they are great! I used to trim his nails but Soft Paws are much duller and easier to do.

http://www.softpaws.com
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:39 PM

Oh I LOVE polydactils! Can you post some pics?? *begging*
And I agree with everyone, I am against declawing, but if he absolutely must due to possible complications, then do declaw only those toes that need it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Candice. I will not do this to the kitten, it's sick. Thank you for posting this site.
Pigsterz I will post pics but clinicly he is not a poly. He has two paws per leg not just extra toes. He sounds so deformed but he is a beautiful long haired blue with the most excellent personality. I'll get pics soon.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of Dij the kitty. Nothing deformed is showing, this is his super cute side!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 12:27 PM

Hey I just saw a cat on Animal Planet with 28 toes! He is super cute. I think he now has the world-record for most cat toes.

Anyhoo... do you have a bigger pic of Dij? Hard to see her beauty in that small picture. Of course, it could just be my not knowing how to make it bigger...operator error.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:24 PM

Aweeeeee the kitty is adorable.... I am glad to hear you are not going to declaw the kitty...... I have assisted in several declawings, and it is the most awful procedure, not to mention painful.... I know I wouldn't want a vet using dog clippers on me to break my first knuckle (joint) and pull my nails out......OWIE!!!! I am sure the kitty will do just fine in your hands.....a deformed animal is only an extra special animal
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I tried to click on the pic to make it bigger.She sounds like a very good kitty.It is good she has you to take care of her.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 AM

Aspen has the extra toe.. with the claw that sticks out.. I havent gotten him declawed.. and there is no way I would ever do that to him.. I didnt even give it a thought when we first got him.. the extra toe and claw does not bother him and it is very long... he still runs around here like a maniac... lol
Dij is a very pretty kitty...
the link on the first thread if you click on it .. it has a picture of him.. =)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my! After seeing those pics I don't see how anyone could do that. Just look at the little kitties face! Your rescue kitty is in good hands with you, very pretty, couldn't see a big pic but looks gorgeous from what I can tell!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
animal planet, doing fine, male cat