Taming of the Wild Thing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Taming of the Wild Thing

Does anyone else have a problem with their cats being absolutely WILD right before bedtime and on into the night? Well, we did until a few nights ago Sami found a solution!

Recently, we bought one of those poles for the kitties that has the string with the feathers on the end (made especially for CAT fishing ). Sami realised that he could get Galina (our youngest kitten) to chase the feathers around for as long as he would dangle it in front of her. Well, after thirty minutes of this non-stop kitty exercise, Galina was slowing down and panting like a little dog. After that, I made him stop and as SOON as he put the pole up, Galina flopped down on the floor and didnt' move from her spot for about two hours.

A tired little Galina.

Now, we do this every night right before we go to bed. Since Galina is so tired afterwards, Gerona, my older cat, has no one to play with all night, and since she has no one to play with, she sleeps, too!

Sami tried to get Gerona to chase the feathers, too, but she is much to clever and sits and waits for them to come close to her. Then, in just a nanosecond, she lungs and bites down hard on them and refuses to let go.

This is one of the best toys we have ever bought. Even his dog loves it!

Do any of you have a something you do to get your cats to calm down at night? Or are they just natural sleepyheads all day AND all night?

( More pictures of our tired kitties and dog can be seen here.)

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Newborn Pup

I tried that type of toy with Sig, but (no offence, Galina) he's too much of an aristocrat to chase a fluffy bundle . Soft golf balls is all the only thing that works, and mostly by himself (he says I throw like a girl!). Since my sister finds he's noisy at night I tried a pointer --away from his eyes of course-- but he quickly got bored and now he barely turns his head to follow the beam's course. Pff. So he still goes *thud* in the night. But if I can deal with my sister's boyfriend, she can tolerate a heavy and clumsy cat at 4AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, Galina is quite far from being a little lady.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aw look at her lying down! that's how my dog, chaquita, lies down!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwww such cute pictures!!!!! Your cats are adorable!!!

How about the 2-3 AM nightly playtimes! That's when my cats like to go running through the house, too, all 3 of them!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Such cute pictures!!
It usually depends on Lizzie's mood - sometimes she'll sleep soundly with us on the bed, other nights she'll do back-flips with her furry mice and practically shake the whole house. Then she'll howl for a while, crunch her food as loud as she can - I'll hear Blackie growl which means she's bugging him while he's trying to sleep ...
What I find odd is how often I'll find her fur mice or her catnip sack in the bed when I make it up in the morning. Is she doing back flips in the bed while we're sleeping ??

Sharon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Ray is the cats favorite play toy, he is usually found crawling around annoying them at any given point when he comes home from work. But our cats do fight and play all night, every now and then we will hear them and then very quickly they will dart over us in the bed and back out of the bedroom, and down the stiars again. When I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I will hear them and as soon as I hit the top step they freeze and look up at me like they weren't doing anything!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsweets
But our cats do fight and play all night, every now and then we will hear them and then very quickly they will dart over us in the bed and back out of the bedroom
Mine do the same thing. They get so wild at night and run in and out of the bedroom. They also fight and scream at like 5:00 in the morning. Sometimes they play with their toys on the hard floor and make a lot of noise. I don't really mind but it drives Mike nuts. Sometimes he gathers up their toys at night and takes them away! What a big meanie. I usually wait until he's asleep and give them back to the kitties LOL!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I usually wait until he's asleep and give them back to the kitties LOL!
Ha! Well, I'm the one that takes the toys away here. And Sami doesn't DARE to give them back after I've put my foot down. We know who's the boss in this apartment.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!