Taste of the Wild? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Taste of the Wild?

As anyone tried Taste of the Wild cat food? I know Flickeringhope uses it (I think) as she suggested it in another thread, but has anyone else?

I think Amadeus current food isn't working for him as his feces aren't as they should be. I am thinking maybe he has allergies or a sensitive digestive track.

I am going to switch him to a different brand and if that doesn't help he is going to the vet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

No no, I used to use it. Until I realized berries are bad for cats. Taste of the wild contains raspberries, and blueberries, which both contain Benzoic Acid, which cats are very literally, uncapable of metaboliziing. to metabolize Benxzoic Acid it takes two other metabolites: Hippuric Acid, and Benzoate Glucuronide Acid. Cats lack the metabolite Benzoate, which means any Benzoic Acid they ingest, gets turned 100% into Hippuric Acid, which is toxic to their systems.

Cat can only handle about 300 mg/kg of their body weight of Benzoic Acid, and can ONLY handle an accumulation of 300 mg over 7 days. Any longer, and signs of toxicity starts showing.

I can include the links where I found this information if you'd like.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's a better food - contains NO berries and thus no Benzoic Acid once so ever:

http://www.trilogyonline.com/Trilogy...%28Pet_Base%29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I overheard about Taste of the wild too from friends talking about changing food and she switch immediately too after her cat vomits and had diarrhea with it.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I heard that too. But they may have vomited off it because they weren't switched slowly enough from their old food to ToTW. Often, high-potency foods will do that to pets, and the transition has to be notched up to 2 weeks or longer instead of 7-10 days.

There's cats that have vomited off of Innova EVO, as well.

Other than that, it could really be the Benzoic Acid - some signs of toxicity are loss of balance and vomiting, I believe.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I see...... you were raving about it in the other thread though....

Anyways I went to look for it and the store (even though I checked the sites etc...) didn't have it. LIES!! So I got "Before Grain" since we only had a little bit of food left.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I raved about it.. until I found out what I did about the Benzoic Acid in berries and how cats can't metabolize it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Ok, I looked into the food you suggested but I can't seem to find a store locator so I'll have to check it out at the store. I do not however recall seeing it.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh - they don't sell the food in stores, They only sell it online.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Oh - they don't sell the food in stores, They only sell it online.

Ahhh now that would be a problem for me.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How come? You don't think they would ship to Canada? I could ask - I've been in touch with the woman who runs the company, I could ask her for you.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I checked on the site you provided, and did the calculate shipping and it doesn't accept Canadian Postal Codes.

And I feel that shipping would be crazy for it.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Newborn Pup

My cats absolutely love TotW. However, Zeke (2 yo male) was eating it AND lots of water, and one day he started having peeing problems--urgency and straining. I got him on methigel immediately and syringed water. Then I switched him (how hard this was!) to 100% wet food (not TotW). He has had no blockages since.

I found TotW very expensive too. When I got the kitten, Ariel, she loved the canned food and then Zeke was willing to eat it. But those tiny cans are a fraction of a meal for one. It would take at least 4 cans for a whole meal. FAR too expensive.

Now, I use the leftover dry TotW for treats.

I keep searching for the best wet food for them that is also affordable. EVO and Innova and Felidae seem cheapest nutritious.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you think he might have allergies or food intolerances...do you have any idea what it could be too??

I'm sure it would be helpful to try to find out. I haven't had a cat for a long time, but we found out that Kit is allergic to chicken and grains. There are a lot of dog foods that contain those, so if I didn't know what he was allergic too, I'd have a hard time switching him to a food that didn't contain it.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Food allergies are common in cats. Cats develop food allergies to the main protein in their food - they evolved to thrive on different meat sources. Taste of the Wild, and many other brands who only manufacture one flavor/protein source aren't really a wise situation. Cats need to monthly have the protein source in their food switched so they don't develop an allergy to it. If you feed them the same protein source long enough, they could develop hyperthyroidism.