Tell me about Persions. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile Tell me about Persions.

Hi.
I am thinking about getting a Persion kitty soon, plese tell me what to look for and about the breed.
I have never had a cat before so forgive me for not knowing anything

Here is a pic of a cute one

thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg persian.jpg (54.5 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, they are a long-haired breed so they require regular grooming to prevent mats/hairballs ...

Um ... they are known for having a lot of nasal discharge and certain ones' squished faces sometimes cause lifelong respiratory problems ...

But they are very cute and adorable cats .. I have a Himalayan myself so it is kind of similar ...

That's really all I know about Persions offhand ... There's a breed description sheet on the forum.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

One of my friends has a Persian and grooms her everyday, sometimes twice a day and that cat still gets hairballs and matted! Usually in the summer she has to take her to the vet to be sedated and completely shaved. My grandma has a Persian also and had to do that this year. Plus my grandma's cat gets a respiratory infection at least twice a year. She has tried different types of litter, tried a humidifier in the house, just about everything and the cat still gets respiratory infections.

Both of these cats aren't very friendly. I think that's just a coincidence though.

They are beautiful cats but they seem so high maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
They are beautiful cats but they seem so high maintenance.
Yeah, that's what I am getting everywhere
I have a Maltese so I know all about maint.
Any other suggestions on diff breeds?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a persian and she is a sweet, even tempered doll baby and I love her to pieces. Would I have get another persian? Nope! Too much grooming! A nice alternative is the exotic shorthair. You get the look of the persian but without all the hair. Petfinder.com frequently has purebred adult rescues also if you want to check out different breeds.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree. Does it really have to be purebred? It seems to me that you can find a lot of absolutely adorable tabby cats out there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you are not dead-set on a purebred, there are a lot of wonderful mixed breed cats out there. My cat is a who-knows-what, and he is the best cat I have ever had. Sweetest, most affectionate cat I have ever seen. The funny thing is the lady who bought his siblings at the petstore (there were no cats at all in the shelter, oddly enough, or we would have gotten one there) said, "Oh, you don't want him. He is not really friendly." However, as soon as we picked him up, he cuddled right in and started purring as loud as a motor! We think he just did not like the lady. LOL. He is an adult now, and you cannot keep him out of your lap if you try! Shove him off and he is right back on in a couple seconds. Hehe.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Tags
mixed breed, respiratory infection, respiratory infections