Temporary kitten owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Temporary kitten owner

Ok so I'm waiting for a phone call from work to see if I'm a temporary cat mum to either one or two kittens. They are over 6 weeks but not by much...but they are both eating and drinking well. A man bought them in to work today....they were dumped out the front of his house and he doesn't drive so we were his only option. I think we have found one of them a home...the woman was having a look at them some time this afternoon.
They both have worms which we are treating them for and both have cat flu (the reason why I am getting them....everyone else owns cats). They also have slightly weak bones so the nurse is bringing some calcium in for me.
I will have them for a week at least...I'm not placing them in new homes until they are better......any advice for me? I'm going out to buy some cat food and a cat litter tray for them today. I hope I only get the one but I could end up with both of them.....and they are temporary!!!! They will be living in a large cat cage here until they either find homes (if straight away) or until their worms are all cleared up.
I just couldn't see these little kittens not have a chance in life. If alex brings home the digital camera I'll take some pics of them for you to see.
But any advice will be useful....I've never owned a cat before and never really paid much attention to them to be honest so I don't know much but I'm very ready for my crash course lessons!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:11 AM

Litter training is one of the first things you need to teach. It shouldn't be too hard with them in a cage. Once you get them settled, put them in the clean litter box and take their paw and scratch it in the litter. Cats are smart so they will get the idea. They prolly won't use it right away. (When I potty trained Troubles it took him hours before he used it.) You could also repeat this after they eat if they aren't catching on.

What are you giving them for the cat flu btw? If it's oral fluids you'll have 'fun' giving them that.

Good luck with the babies and I hope they find good homes ^-^
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks for such a quick reply!! I don't know what to give them for the cat flu!! i'll get my boss to give me something!! It will be liquid form...he likes to make my life difficult!!! The boy is feisty and fought us for his worm tablet so I'll be fighting him but the girl is pretty placid! I'm still waiting....I've heard no reply yet as to whether they have found hoes and the woman was supposed to look at them over an hour ago now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Miss New Booty

Awww Carmen you are so sweet to take the kitties in! Alex better bring home the digital! I wanna see them!
Like Tonifer said, litter training is fairly easy! They are fast learners, too.
When do you bring them home??

One important thing... Dogs LOVE the kitty box, gross I know! Try to keep Biscuit away from the box, or have it somewhere she can't get to. But if the kitties are in a crate, she probably won't be able to get to it. I don't know also, if dogs can contract the worms if they eat something out of the box?? Does anyone know this? Just be careful with Biscuit trying to eat it. I had no idea until my vet told me dogs did that when I first got Kahlua!

Oh about the pills. Yes it can be hard to give cats pills! One suggestion.. what I do for my cats, is hide the little pill in a little bit of canned food or even a piece of chicken if you have some. They usually eat it right up, just make sure you are watching closely and seperate them, so you know they each got their medicine. I think it's alot easier that way!
I'm sure everything will be fine! I hope they are feeling better soon.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:46 AM

What symptoms do the kitties have? My youngest cats in the colony are just recovering from Upper respitory infection, and I had to give them this pink bubble-gum flavored medicine. . . i never understood the bubblegum flavoring. . .you'd think it's be tuna or something, 'cause they sure don't like bubblegum!

p.s. RSBunny any luck finding 'hoes'? lol
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Yes Biscuit will be kept away from the kittens!! for the kittens safety as well!!! biscuit is not exactly gentle and took off late last night chasing a cat!! The cat got away but man my girl runs fast!!
We gave the worm tablets with somemince around it.....the boy ate the mince and spat the tablet out!!!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Angel They have really weepy eyes.....I only seen them for five minutes so I'll know more later when the vet checks them over!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 AM

That sounds like what my cats had. Did they have gunk on their eyes? With it crusted shut?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

No not crusted shut but weepy.....I don't think they have been sick for too long

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
the boy ate the mince and spat the tablet out!!!
Uh-oh!!! He is so smart!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, I figured you were going to keep Biscuit and the kitties seperated. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the "Kitty box treats" that dogs love! Ewwww!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:56 AM

Well that's good. I think the pink stuff is just a generic anti-biotic and you might it as well to treat your tem. kitties.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:58 AM

Yes the dog can get worms from eating the litter You might have to crush the tablets with the back of a spoon and make it nice and powdery, then mix it with the wet food, or mince as you like to call it.

The bubble gum stuff is Clavimox. I know that stuff well. The cats see me coming with it and they run. I don't know if they would have this in Australia but there is an amino acid called Lysene. You can find it in your local health food stores and that helps with the weepy eye and other URI symptoms.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 AM

Also about the litterbox training. I just had four in my home that I had to bottle feed and stimulate to go to the bathroom. The most training I had to do for the litterbox is put it on the ground. I think its an instinctual thing for them to dig in it and go I was so happy at that point I didn't have to wipe their butts anymore.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:03 AM

Yeah Dena, I just resently learned about the butt wiping thing. I've never really had to take care of little kittens before, but I remember when I was younger and my mom would take care of abandoned kittens they would always die,i guess because she didn't know about the butt thing i guess.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok well the boy has a home and we are waiting for a phone call in half an hour to see if the girl has a home too...if not she is coming to live with me. for a little bit!
The boy was the bugger with the worm tablet so all is good!! The vet is going to check them both over and decide what they need and then give me and/or the owner all of our instructions!!!

Tags
canned food, cat food, health food store, litter box, litter train, litter training, litter tray, potty train, potty trained, wet food