Is there any solution??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Lee0923

Is there any solution???

Well, I don't know if there is a solution to my cat problem, but I would love to hear any suggestions!

I have 2 senior cats, ages 10 and 11. I also have a 10 week old kitten. My problem is feeding time.

We have a 'constant feed' container full of dry food at all times, which the cats nibble on throughout the day. When I get home from work, they all get 1/2 a can of wet food.

The 2 older girls get 'senior food' while the baby gets kitten food. The girls like to take their sweet time and nibble on the wet food all night. Not the kitten. He inhales his and will start in on theirs. One of the older cats recently gained back weight she lost and needs to have her food. I've tried to put their dish of food up, but then it isn't there when they want it.

I can't do much about the dry food, and I'm sure the kitten eats that too, even though he has his own dish of dry. Feeding them in separate rooms won't help, because, as I said the girls don't eat all at once, but the kitten does.

I guess I would be more concerned with the older cats eating the kitten's food, as it has more protein which isn't good for their kidneys, but they wouldn't have a chance anyway.

Any suggestions on how to get this little boy not to eat the girls' food?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 11:01 PM
NewFerretMom

With the kitten being so young, is there a shelf or something anywhere in the house that the older ones can get to that the kitten can't? If there is, you might try putting their wet food there at least until the little one gets big enough to get there or you can figure something else out.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Lee0923

Jess,

I did do that, but the area I have is big enough for only one bowl and one cat. Plus, Bentley (the kitten) has caught on to the idea now.

I guess there isn't too much I can do. Bentley's tummy was making all sorts of noises last night and he had a gas problem, if you know what I mean!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 10:51 AM

My suggestion would of been what Jess said... Obviously that isn't working for you, so I would just keep an eye on the 2 older cats to make sure they aren't eating the kitten food, but sounds like you don't have a problem there either, lol.... It is hard to train a cat the learn the word "no" I wish you luck, and I hope somebody can come up with a suggestion for you that will end up working out

Tags
dry food, kitten food, wet food