Is there a proper way? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Is there a proper way?

My best friends and her boyfriends family just moved. hes an indoor/out door cat. He is ten as well. Is there a proper way to get him used to the house. Right now all he does is hide under the beds. they are not letting him outside because they dont want him to run away. Is there a proper way of doign this. They have a room for him that has his kitty scratcher thing thats 8 feet tall and has a bed with it. A litter box, and food, are they supposed to keep him in there for awhile or should he just stay in the house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Part of the Pack

I let my cat explore the house the day we moved...but he isn't that old. I'm not really sure if there is a proper way. I guess they can keep him in the room for a few days then when they see that he's getting comfortable in there just let him explore the rest of the house. I would provide litterboxes around the house incase he cant get to one on time. Of course, this is a kitten and he can hold it, but you never know.
My cat wasn't that shy when we moved. Sky was when she first got to my house. I let her stay in my bathroom for a while. Then I moved her to our spare bedroom...then I moved her to my bedroom. And then after like 2 weeks, I let her explore the rest of the house. After like 30 minutes, she came back to my room.

My babies...

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

we let him out but he just went into her boyfriend parents BR and hid under the bed, we couldnt get him out, so just in case they got home when we were gone we closed him up in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Newborn Pup

He's hiding because he's frightened and insecure. Generally you can introduce a young or timid cat to a new home by starting one room at a time. If the bedroom is comfortable for him, keep him in there by closing the door. Visit him in there and move his food and litter box there too. Eventually he will have "conquered" the room and will be ready to see what lies beyond the door. Don't rush him as that will only make the problem worse. He needs to operate on his own schedule.

Our Tabby Bubbles is quite timid and we are going through this with her. Our two Abyssinians, Mango & Peaches, took over the new place a few minutes after arriving - but they are bold and confident by nature - and are running around the place like it's always been home. Little Bubs isn't ready to leave the bedroom quite yet.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Unless there are new cats in teh household to be introduced to i tend tojust leave all doors open and let the cat roam as it pleases. If it has hid itself in one room then I choose to move all the things (Litterbox, food, water, etc) there and maybe shut the door if there are many people. If the house is quiet without too much disturbances I would just let the cat roam as it pleases, or stay hidden if it wants... He'll come around in his own time.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Newborn Pup

When we have moved we have always let the cats have run of the House ASAP. As long as its safe. Mainly because they'd drive us bananas if we tried to limit them to one room. It doesnt take them long to sniff out the olace and make them self comfortable as long as they have some familiar objects and smells around.

Dx

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

With the girls, I set up their kitty trees ASAP before letting them run free so that there would at least some some familiar scents in the house and I made sure to keep their litter box close to them.

Other than that, I let them explore the house when they wanted. I would try keeping things relatively quiet for the next few days and don't have too many visitors over--I found that people coming over stressed Galina out even more and she didn't want to come out.

If they're not introducing a new member of the family, I would keep all the doors open for him and just let him explore when he's ready to.

He'll come around in time. Cats just like to do things on their terms.

And they're right in not letting him outside just yet. If they want to keep him as an indoor/outdoor cat, I would suggest not letting him out for at least a few more months and when they do start letting him out, have it be on leash at first so that he can be supervised and will not run off if something scares him. This will help him safely get used to his new territory.

Edit:

P.S.--

Most cats don't like to have their food and water near the litter box, and it can become unhygenic, so I would suggest them move one of the items to another room that is not far away, but does cause the cat to come out some--even if it's only at night when everyone is sleeping.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
litter box, outdoor cat