Is there something wrong - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Is there something wrong

Trinity has always made this funny sound after she meows. ITs kind a whining but really short. and she sorta snorts, but she has done it her whole life. and then today she made hacked... so i think she might have hair ball either that it was a sneeze. Shes an obsessive cleaner so is there anything if its a hairball that i can give her to help her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You are probably right in assuming it is a hairball. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it becomes consistent.

There are a number of hairball treats and foods available that offer remedies to the problem but one of the best things you can do for her is brush her. Cats of any sort should get brushed regularly so they don't ingest as much hair when they groom. It is much easier on their tummies.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Miss New Booty

Erin gave great advice! Yup, there also is hairball formula food, too. There is some kitty malt stuff (can't think of the exact name) in a tube for hairballs that we got, but my kitties wouldn't have it! Has to be Pounce treats and even those Smokie doesn't like! lol!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Trinity seems fine now. She doesnt like wet food either lol. So who knows

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

So i picked her up and her little meow was a little hourse... So ia m oging to go the natural store by my school tomorrow and see what they have for hair balls... my poor baby... . Any suggestions?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Part of the Pack

I use Laxa-Stat "A Lubricant for Hair Ball Elimination and Prevention"
It works really great on both my cats. Simba always coughs them but sky actually throws up so I have to use it before they even start coughing. Simba actually loves it lol...and Sky just eats a little by herself because she wants what Simba's getting. I have to open her mouth and put it in there. She doesn't think it's really nice. lol

I've also seen that most petstores, like petco and petsmart, carry grass for cats. That works really well too. That's why most outdoor cats don't get hairballs.

My babies...

Last edited by mm_simb; 06-07-2005 at 12:57 AM. Reason: to add something
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

my roomate was all mean and was like (i cant get it till tomorrow when im at school) what if your cat dies :pullhair:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sounds like a hairball.

I would definetely try the hairball-reduction products available and see if they help, but if the coughing and wheezing and snorting are persistant, then you might want to take her to the vet just in case.

Side question--
Anyone know if hairball malts are good to give to dogs? Seamus has hairballs that I've posted about before and it's impossible to find information on it. It seems like I'm the only person in the world who's dog hacks up hairballs.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Rowan, I would double check maybe with a vet to make sure its okay to give to a dog. I don't know what ingredients go into hairball treatments since i"ve never used them excessively.

Aw, your cat will be fine, Ariel. I don't see what your roommate is fussing about. Doesn't seem like she was very considerate of your pet's conditions in the first place (not letting her out of the room as you mentioned...) Trinity just needs a little hairball treatment and maybe a little more frequent brushing.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Kerri, the vets here don't seem to know squat about it. The one I talked to honestly admitted she had noooo idea what to do for it. That was in Espoo--next time I go to the one in Vantaa (who speaks good English to me), I'll ask her.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

So this is what i got (i get trinity a lot of natural products because she got sick when she was a kitten and i dont know what caused it and if she got into some chemical she might not be able to handle some of the chemical in other things). Its by vetbasis. its called hairball gel. its petroleum free, enriched with vitamins, no trans fatty acids (hehe i sorta laughed at that) no sugar and sodium. Any way that stuff STINKS!!!! Claudia she tasted it and ate half of it but she was like NO so then the dirrections say to put it on her cheeks and paws so thats what i did and she eats it because she doesnt want to have on her lol. Now shes drinking water. but its kinda funny watching her try and get it off her cheeks.

Last edited by Trickiesmurf; 06-08-2005 at 01:37 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Part of the Pack

lol...poor Trinity
I cant do that to Sky...she just doesn't care if I put it on her. Simba would probably lick it off her...lol. He loves it. So I just grab Sky, open her mouth, and put it in there. She doesn't really like that.
I hope it works though. I'm pretty sure it will. I never liked the foods that have hairball preventives because they never worked for Simba. I like the gels for that better. I've never had one that hasn't worked but this one is the one Simba seems to love.

My babies...

Tags
outdoor cat, wet food