Those who got your cat spayed... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Those who got your cat spayed...

I just got my cat alice spayed on wednesday of last week.. the 29th i think. i brought her home thursday. they told me to keep her seperated from her brother sebastian until they take the stitches out THIS saturday.. does that seem like a long time to anyone? shes not happy about bein locked in a cage downstairs! (its warm in the basement and shes in a crate the size for a 50-100lb dog so she has room since she only weighs 6 lbs ... has anyone else had to keep their cats seperated for a week and a half?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your input. now i know why i post so much
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

I'm not sure how it is with females, but with both of my males I was told to try and keep them unactive for 1 1/2 weeks. Very difficult to do by the way, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

When we had 2 we had to keep them seperated as well...that way they didn't groom each others stitches...we put them in seperate rooms till they got their stitches removed, but mine had to wear the cone as well cause they kept grooming themselves...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
can't think of one, help

It may depend on how the incision is closed. Mine have been together and I know the shelter I got them from generally lets the kitties be together
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

7 - 10 days is usually how long the stitches should stay in. Any cat (boy or girl) should stay away from other animals for that time so that the stitches don't get ripped accidentely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Miss New Booty

10 days seems about right.

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Was there any complications to her surgery? I have adopted alot of cats, male and female and they have always told me to keep them as calm as possible (to keep them from tearing their stitches out), but never to keep them separated. I see no reason to keep her separated from your other kitty (in the basement) if you are going to keep her in the kennel anyway. Bring her upstairs and let them talk through the kennel. She will feel better and so will you. She won't hurt herself this way, and you can abide by the vet's wishes. Does anyone disagree? I know, loaded question. Hee hee. I would have a hard time leaving one of my babies in a different room away from the family too. Hang in there, it is always hard to go through surgeries, shots, etc. This isn't just an animal. . . it is your baby. And it sounds already to me like you are a wonderful, caring person. So, bring that baby upstairs in the kennel and let her join the family. Now, if she starts really acting up, like she is going to hurt herself, you may have to bring her back downstairs. You may also give your vet a quick call and voice your concerns. They may surprise you and give you the go ahead to give her little time outs of the cage to see how she does. Sorry, I may have talked too much. I just love kitties. Best wishes to you and your kitties. Charlene
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

No, we havent had any complications.. well ive only been having her in the cage at night cause then i know hes not messing with her... even with her in the cage, theyre not actually "seperated" since they can still see each other (and plus the litter boxes are in the other room down there so he has to have access) but the kennel is WAAAAY to big to have upstairs. i already thought of that.. she seems to be doing pretty good... not too active... and hasnt really been grooming her stomach either.. so far so good
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 PM

When I had my girls done, they told me I had to keep them as calm as possible but I did not have to keep them separated. My girls are very attached to each other, and I'm pretty sure they would have made more of a fuss at being separated than they did being together. I'm sure it depends on the cat though. Mine hardly bothered the stitches (their own or each others). My first cat wouldn't leave hers alone. You could always ask the vet if supervised together-time would be okay, but them keep them separated while you won't be around.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes