Tracking Cat with GPS - Interesting Behavior - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Tracking Cat with GPS - Interesting Behavior

Ive had my cat for 10+ years. She loves to go outside. I leave her out in the morning and when I come home at night from work she is waiting in the driveway for me. Ive always wondered what she does and where she goes all day. Well, I bought a Garmin GPS tracker for her collar. I can view a history of where she is all day. Here is what I learned so far...

1. She does not go more than 1 mile from the house in any direction.

2. She basically walks the same path daily.

3. She has favorite resting places where she stays for 1+ hour.

4. She goes into areas with no people, cars, noise and avoids populated areas and never walks near or across busy streets.

Im going to assume in order to find her way home she smells her wayback. Kinda like she leaves a scent breadcrum trail. I dont know if a cat has the ability to be visually aware like a human by recognizing landmarks by sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

As I understand it, the ability of a cat to find its way home is called “psi-traveling.” Experts think cats either use the angle of the sunlight to find their way or that cats have magnetized cells in their brains that act as compasses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Interesting findings but surely, your cat is very attached to you and always having his peaceful adventures..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Playful Pup

I have a GPS pet tracker for my pet dog and cat, although they are costly, but it is worth spending a few extra dollars to make sure you that i know there whereabouts and i can retrieve them easily.

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
and
-PetStreetMall.com

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

Very interesting information. I don't have a tracker for my cat. I do live in the country however and I can tell you just from observation, much is the same with my kitty .

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Playful Pup

Yeah, you should try it. My pet cat tracy jump off the fence only to find out that she was in our neighbor's pet cat too. i received nifications of my cat's whereabouts thru my phone, PC and my handheld device of the pet tracker. No worries.

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
and
-PetStreetMall.com

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 PM

I'd seriously recommend not using these gps trackers. I'd be very worried about the danger of them causing cancer, particularly on such small creatures.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
I'd seriously recommend not using these gps trackers. I'd be very worried about the danger of them causing cancer, particularly on such small creatures.
They can be pretty useful is some situations.

you need to keep your pet happy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Playful Pup

I think cats are creatures of habit.

Tags
cat outdoor