traveling with kitties??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

traveling with kitties???

Hi! I'm new here and have questions about traveling with my cats. I am driving to Colorado for a week and am considering taking my 2 cats with me. I could either leave them home and have someone check on them periodically or I could take them with me. I am torn as to what to do. I really don't want to leave them for over a week. We are very attached to each other! I can't decide if it would be better to keep them in their own surroundings with minimal human contact, or take them to new surroundings with human contact. I really want to do what is best for my kitties. What do you think?

P.S. My bf tells me that when I leave, Scooter goes to the window to watch and cries. Also, when I was packing earlier, he kept sitting on top of my suitcase...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Tiffany~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi Tiffany! First of all, welcome to PT!
How long is your drive to Colorado from where you are at? I know alot of cats don't travel well, but there are some that do, I'm just not sure how long your trip is. In my instance, my 3 cats LOVE the car! But the longest trip we take is 2 1/2 hours so I'm not sure or have any experience with taking kitties on a long car trip. Also, another thing, it's hot this time of the summer so if you take them, just make sure they don't get too hot or overheated in the car, too.

How do your kitties generally like the car? How old are they? How do your cats react when you get to a new place? (My kitties are fine because we are always going to my parents house) Sometimes, cats can get really stressed going to a new place, so it might stress them out more going for a long ride for only 1 week, I'm not sure. You know your kitties best.

Aww my cat Ginger cries the whole time I'm gone, too! I guess my kitties aren't the best example to compare your situation with, lol, but I would say it's up to you. As long as they are healthy and aren't too stressed in the car, I would say it would be ok to take them.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. It's a 15 hour drive. We are going to split it into 2 days, but we have decided it would probably be too much for our little babies, so we are going to leave them home and have someone check on them/play with them everyday.

My kitties names are Scooter and Mochalina. They are about 8 months old. Both were strays that we took in. When I figure out how, I'll post their pics! They really haven't traveled before, except to the vet. They were fine going there and coming home, but it's not a very long drive.

I'm gonna miss them like crazy, but I gotta do what's best for them. I've been researching online and have heard far too many horror stories about traveling with pets. I don't want to take any risks of them escaping or getting hurt while traveling. I'll just have to suffer through some serious kitty withdrawal! lol

~Tiffany~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think you've made the best decision

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Miss New Booty

Ya, I think so, too. That sure is a long drive, especially since they haven't traveled alot before. I think they'll be ok at home although I know you'll miss them terribly!

Awwww we would love to see pictures of them! Cute names! You can upload them by scrolling down and click on "Manage Attatchments" and you can upload one straight from your computer. Or, you can host them somewhere, like www.photobucket.com and Paw-Talk also has image hosting with the Supporting Membership.

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Playful Pup

Yeah It probaly will be best! Going away makes them miss you more.If you understand what I mean. Enjoy your vacation.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpot3
Hi! I'm new here and have questions about traveling with my cats. I am driving to Colorado for a week and am considering taking my 2 cats with me. I could either leave them home and have someone check on them periodically or I could take them with me. I am torn as to what to do. I really don't want to leave them for over a week. We are very attached to each other! I can't decide if it would be better to keep them in their own surroundings with minimal human contact, or take them to new surroundings with human contact. I really want to do what is best for my kitties. What do you think?

P.S. My bf tells me that when I leave, Scooter goes to the window to watch and cries. Also, when I was packing earlier, he kept sitting on top of my suitcase...
aaaaaw...that type of thing is so cute...in a sad way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when I leave on weekends my mom takes care of mama and she sits at the back door with my dog waiting for me...as soon as I get home there they all are but I make it a habit of loving her first...just cause shes so sad looking

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley