Trouble with running away - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Trouble with running away

Beezle my one year old kitty keeps running out the door and he has jumped off the balconey twice (I don't let him out there anymore). He was fixed at 6mons old and my other cat Lucy is perfectly content to stay in all the time, she likes to sun bath on the balconey but she has never tried to go further. I am worried Beezle will get hurt running around outside, there is lots of traffic and dogs but I am also worried he is not happy indoors. What to do? I've bought toys, climbers, pet grass he still runs.

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Resident Pixie

How high is your balcony? You shouldn't let cats on there unrestrained, they can become distracted by a bird or insect and literally walk off into thin air and fall.

Here's a good article:

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/conte...id=70&cat=cats

Ronald Hickey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goldie's DOB 04/03/02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I think that once a cat gets a taste for something they will continue to try and do it. He possibly caught something when he was out last time (a mouse, bird etc.) and now wants to continue on in the adventure. I think if you keep him inside for a while again he will forget about it and be so persistent. Doesn't mean he'll never try it again but it should help!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The Balcony is on 2nd floor very scarey and cats are only allowed out when we are with them. I also have lattice (sp?) to about 3ft up. But once we were out there and quick as a wink Beezle flew off, I ran downstairs and he was fine running around enjoying himself. I kept him in for quite a few months and then it was a rare sunny warm day in winter so we went out to get sun Lucy laid down and Beezle jumped again. I don't let him out there anymore and it's not a problem for now but in the summer that door is usually open quite a bit. Beezle runs through feet out a door on a daily basis, I do think RSbunny has a point about getting a taste of freedom and bugs, he loves chasing bugs outside. I wish we were not in town.

Ronny
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It takes time but they can adapt. Orangey was an outdoor cat for a good portion of his life. When I moved down here he became an indoor cat. There are times when I think he'd love to go roll in the dust again, but he is content to sit in a sunny window and watch the birds. Since your cat is so young and full of energy it'll pry take him a little longer then it took Orangey to adapt. But he will and he'll be alot safer to boot.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

In Finland, many apartment dwellers have their balconies completely walled in with glass with one section of glass acting as a sliding door in case you want fresh air.

I don't know if in America they will let you do this, but it's worth a try if they will allow it. That way, he could be allowed on the balcony and you won't have to worry about him leaping away.

You could also try building a cat enclosure that you could put on the balcony. He would still be able to enjoy things outside and you wouldn't have to worry about him escaping.
Hope this helps.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Completely enclosing the balcony may be a good idea, the cats really love the sun, I could look into that. I did get Beezle a new indoor toy yesturday that has his attention for now. Its one of those long crinkle tubes, he loves hiding in it and pouncing who ever comes by. I hope I can keep him happy as indoor cat by getting him fun things to play with inside.

Ronny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

That is scary when they have no fear and we jsut watch in horror as they teeter on the brink. My cat Winnie was shoved off of my 3rd floor balcony by my dog and fortuately she landed on the 2nd floor balcony below. (Try explaining that one to your new neighbors at 1:30 a.m. ,"Ah excuse me my cat is on your balcony...she seems to have fallen, oh yeah I'm Brenda by the way.")
It had never occured to me to not let her out there and she never did it again. I'd probably try to keep him inside until you rig up some type of enclosure also. Sounds like he isn't even phased by the things going on around him.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Beezle is pretty oblivious he lives in his own world. Heres a pic of the runaway, we call him Beezle the Weasel cause he can get through anything and he's slinky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beezle.JPG (19.2 KB, 5 views)

Ronny

Tags
indoor cat, outdoor cat