Tummy ache? Kitties doesn't feel well. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Tummy ache? Kitties doesn't feel well.

I woke up with morning to my kitty, Troubles, throwing up. It wasn't solid and there wasn't but one piece of food in it. . .all the rest looked like bile or slobber. He's been acting weird all day, like he doesn't feel well. He's usually my shadow, but he's been sleeping most all day. He doesn't take treats nor hasn't eaten to my knowledge. He just threw up again a few minutes ago, but once again it was nothing but liquid. I'm not too concerned because I guess he just isn't feeling well and prolly ate something that didn't agree with him, but what do you guys think? Is there something around the house I can give him to make him feel better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:12 PM

hi tonifersangel, it could be he's drank some old milk or some other offering from a neighbour. My neighbours used to feed my cats their old chicken after it was unfit for themselves, they were trying to be nice but in fact kept poisoning my cats and they kept being sick until I spotted them putting the chicken down on a plate - once I educated them they stopped being sick.

All the same if he hasn't eaten or drank anything for a couple of days he will deteriorate quite quickly like mine just did (fever) - he's currently in a vets cage with a drip...

What colour is the vomit? I would keep him well watered above all but I would see a vet in my humble opinion.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Is this a new kitten, young? Are it's eyes clear, non-runny? Does it weeze at all or sneeze often? Did you get it froma shelter? Some cats can have an upper-respitory infection. If you cat continues to not eat or drink, I'd take it to the vet. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 09:25 PM

Could be anything from possible poisoning to a regular ole' hairball. If you notice other symptoms of lethargia, loss of appetite (which you mentioned), lack of water intake, third eyelids exposed (you will see the raised white membrain on the inner corner of the eyes), difficulty breathing, exesive drooling or foaming of the mouth, you should take him to the vet immediately.

Try giving him a hairball remedy or I think someone mentioned they use olive oil to help eliminate a hairball. Usually you may hear some actual coughing before the animal vomits.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

He seems to be fine now. I guess he just didn't feel well. He'd been eating my pizza the other day, so it might be that. He couldn't of gotten anything from neighbors cause we were staying with my boyfriend and he's not aloud out over there. He's not a new kitten he's 9 months old and quite large. And I know all about URI, I have a cat whose kittens always get it. All of our young kittens are on medication for it (do you know how NOT fun it is to medicate 8 or so kittens???) anyway, like I said he seems to be doing fine now.He's eating and running around getting into mischeif and all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonifersangel
All of our young kittens are on medication for it (do you know how NOT fun it is to medicate 8 or so kittens???)
Oh yes, I know that very well! I run a shelter and I seem to be the one who gets stuck with that job all the time. Knock on wood there isn't any need for medicating anyone right now.

It sounds like it may have just been a hairball or if there was a change in diet, I forgot to mention that. Some cats just don't like certain foods or it could have been the pizza and the cheese was too rich for his tummy. Keep us posted on how he's doing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 AM

Sorry to hear about your sick little guy,one of my older cats who has sinced passed she lived to be 18,well when ever we went to our vets about stomache upsets he told us to use the low dosage of the over the counter tagament said it helped to settle thier stomaches when they were throwing up. Hope that helps and glad to hear he is into michief again,always a good sign
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

He seems to be doing fine. It probably was the change in diet. . I didn't think of that. I used whatever food Josh uses for his cat. It looked like the same thing. . . but then again all cat food looks the same just about. lol

Troubles is doing fine. Last night I brought him home and stayed there for the night, and he kept me up all night by climbing on the dressers and night stand and knocking every thing down!! He's soooo nosy!

By the way, to those who live in NC (as there seem to be alot, especially in fayetteville) Does anyone know where I can get a discount on spaying? I have a bunch of cats, and many of the females pop out kittens every 4 months it seems. I need to get them fixed but I have little money since I just graduated and I haven't found a job. (this stupid town. . .you have to have "connections" to get a job i swear!)

Last edited by tonifersangel; 06-14-2004 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 PM

good to hear it's nothing serious - the pizza - that'll explain the biley slobber your mentioned hehe

Tags
cat food, doing fine