Two questions in one thread... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Two questions in one thread...

I recently began taking care of a stray and I have some questions. First, how long does IAMS Dry Adult Cat food last? It's been in an airtight bag...Also, how long does wetfood that's never been openned last? See, I have food left from Keiko but that was from like March...Also, the cat I'm taking care of is losing her sight due to malnutrition...how can I help? I'm sure a good diet will help but is there anything else I should do?

Oh, and while I'm at it, anyone know of a way to get a collar on a cat who thinks that collars are toys? ^^'

Thanks in advance.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

The food in the can and bag should still be good as long as it hasn't been opened yet.

Yes, a good diet *might* help the cat from losing more of it's sight, but I would definitely take the cat to the vet for better options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if I can get it to a vet yet, simply because it's still pretty wild. It only seems to trust me. I'll try to get it in a crate, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Miss New Booty

I agree with Scarlette. It should be ok if they haven't been opened? Most bags have experation dates on them, just like food we get. Do you see one on the bag? Sometimes they are in a weird spot, I know!

That is so nice of you to take in a stray! Has the kitty been to the vet for a checkup? Is he going to be an inside kitty, or an outside? I agree with Scarlette, I think talking to a vet about the malnutrition is best, b/c there could be underlying causes of whats going on, especially since you don't know about kitty's well being since you took him in. That is so sweet of you though!! Aww the poor baby is losing her sight. I'm sorry to hear this.

Awww what kind of collar have you tried, the one with a bell? They do think those are toys don't they! I have a safety latch collar for my kitties, with their name and rabies tags on them. So I can hear them coming, too! I always have their collars on b/c you never know "what if" and they escape or anthing like that.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Dry food will usually have a date on it and it is usually a year from the approximate date of purchase. Cans should also have a date on them, also usually a year and they should be fine unopened. If its bad you usually can smell a worse odor than the normal stinky cat food.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
If its bad you usually can smell a worse odor than the normal stinky cat food.
Dena

Oh Sasami, we must've posted at the same time yesterday! I just saw yours now! Awww we had a kitty like that in our backyard at our other place, we tried to bring him, but he was too scared of people, didn't trust us yet. He loved our dogs though, it was so cute, and he tried to play with them!! I'm sure you already know to use caution if you try to catch him..
Good luck with everything! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823
I agree with Scarlette. It should be ok if they haven't been opened? Most bags have experation dates on them, just like food we get. Do you see one on the bag? Sometimes they are in a weird spot, I know!

That is so nice of you to take in a stray! Has the kitty been to the vet for a checkup? Is he going to be an inside kitty, or an outside? I agree with Scarlette, I think talking to a vet about the malnutrition is best, b/c there could be underlying causes of whats going on, especially since you don't know about kitty's well being since you took him in. That is so sweet of you though!! Aww the poor baby is losing her sight. I'm sorry to hear this.

Awww what kind of collar have you tried, the one with a bell? They do think those are toys don't they! I have a safety latch collar for my kitties, with their name and rabies tags on them. So I can hear them coming, too! I always have their collars on b/c you never know "what if" and they escape or anthing like that.
It's gonna be an outside kitty simply because it doesn't want to go inside and because my mum's allergic. Plus it's still kind of wild. The collar actually wasn't one with a bell, because we have coyotes and I thought that the bell might give it away. Just wanna be extra careful.
She's getting tons more social, though. She now responds to her name and will follow me when I call her. Thanks for the advice, everyone ^_^.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Glad everything is working out with her! Keep us posted on how she's doing - she sounds like she's made some really great and caring friends

[center]

[

Tags
cat food, dry food