Two vs. one - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Two vs. one

I was just looking around and found a local lady that makes an entire web page for her fosters. She fosters through the county shelter and has a wonderful room designed for cats. I asked her for advice on making such a room and she gave it to be but included that IF I had the heart, time, and money, I should adopt two.

I guess I was fine with just one because I always saw cats as solitary so to say (as in...not a pack animal like dogs or horses.) I did some quick research and found that it seems the pros of multiple cats outweighs the cons. She gave me tips on pairing as well.

She told me that two cats at a similar age would be my best bet. She didn't have any kittens around Pepi's age. There is a few at the Petsmart she is at and a bunch at the shelter around her age though. She also told me that cats that previously had a litter sometimes "adopt" younger cats/kittens.

So what is your opinion on multiples? We probably won't get a second till after the new year because I like all of my cats to at least have their own tree...and it can never be just a small tree LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

We have two ourself moe just turned a year old and kimik will be a year in march. I think it depends on the cat itself. Moe and kimik love eachothers company but when we had kimik's mom Philly she was much happier being the only cat in the house.so personally I think it depends on the cat itself.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Cats are very social creatures. I used to think they were solitary, too, until I moved in with my fiance and his parents who..have a thing for cats. They are very social creatures; they've even had cats years ago who sensed the pending death of their friend, and they all lined up and "kissed" the nose of the dying cat and walked away. They don't necessarily spend all their time with each other(which is probably where people get the idea that they aren't social), but when they want to, they initiate play time and cuddles and grooming.

I have a cat who was petrified of other cats. When the adoption agency had her and the other cats running around in the adoption area, she hid underneath the table with the longest cover and stayed there the entire time. Despite my misgivings, my fiance insisted I introduce her to his cat. It was bad at first. She hid and hissed and growled and got herself into a bunch of tuffs. But now, three years later *and* his *other* cat added in, my kitty has changed so much. Now instead of hissing at a cat nearby and running away to hide, she'll give a little "personal space" hiss and stand her ground. She eats with them and no longer spends all her day hiding away. She's a ton more self-confident. I can actually hold her for several minutes now and she'll wiggle when she wants down, in comparison to like...1 second 3 years ago after which she'd flare out all her claws and leap from my arms. All that from being with other kitties. It's definitely been food for her soul. There was one time I woke up and she was curled up in bed at my feet 6 inches away from my fiance's cat. I couldn't believe it. At one point she laid back and was actually touching his cat. That was something me, nor my parents ever thought possible.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-25-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

here is where I'm confused. ASPCA has one article saying
Free-ranging and feral cats lead complex and busy lives. They maintain far larger territories than most people realize, and these territories often contain a variety of environments, such as forests, farmlands, urban gardens and yards. Within these territories, cats explore, hunt and scavenge for food alone. They only occasionally interact with other cats. They don’t live in groups or even pairs, and they don’t seek out contact with other cats. In fact, they actively avoid it. Considering this natural behavior of cats, it isn’t surprising that it can be very difficult to introduce a new cat into an established cat’s territory, even when that territory is your home.

but also has an article that says
Ah yes, there are many benefits to having two cats, but they apply only when the two cats are well matched and have enough physical space to live together comfortably. For one, two cats provide each other with exercise, social interaction, and mental stimulation. Cats housed together have more opportunity to “just be cats” by socializing and playing with each other, and this means they are less likely to be destructive or engage in other problematic behaviors...However, the potentially positive aspects of having multiple cats are quickly negated in the face of “cohabitation anxiety.

Almost all of the cats on my list were adopted (awesome I guess lol) so I found one and I'm just gonna go in and get him lol. Funky because he is at a Petco and came in to the rescue with his sister as a bonded pair. They broke the pair up...and now he is all alone. I found an interesting rescue that moved to a rural area to expand. They take in abandoned/feral litters and adopt them out. They also TNR and all that fun stuff. They have a cat I'm interested in as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope what the ASPCA is trying to get at is cats are highly adaptable. In the wild they kind of have to be "every cat for himself" due to their diet. Kind of hard to share a mouse or a bird. Meanwhile, at home, all cats get fed by their humans so there's no reason to divide things up. I bet if you took a feral cat into a home setting, it would learn very quickly that food was simply handed out at will and would slowly accept friendships with other felines. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Betta Bomb

I thought the ASPCA was another HSUS type of organization- I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Sure cats love their territory... When they're outside to establish it! Inside the human is top cat and they have adapted thousands of years to living with humans so they're fine. I am fully for having a pair of cats bc I have seen how much they love and cuddle.
My mom and sister lived together when they got their cats at different times (Illusion as a kitten and Mama was an adult street rescue) And they were integrated fine. They can read each other's body language to know when enough's enough.
In the meantime, there is such thing as having too many cats. In a house they still have their preferences and space needs. I lived with my cousin who "collected" cats she thought she was saving. The psychological needs of the cats were ignored in favor of their basic survival needs. She felt if they at least had a home they were fine. -_- So the cats formed cliques and bullied the anti-social one it was just a sin. They seemed to always be uptight and picky.
I have no advice on integrating cats. My boyfriend's dad had 2 cats upsrairs and 2 downstairs and over the summer he would just open the door and leave the house. By the time he came back the cats would have established corners and boundaries. They're all fine now but I heard 2 scuffs since being here. I would love to get a friend for Oliver when I go home to Newfoundland but I think the apartment is far too small to give each cat their space. Plus, my bunny would hate me! She already hates me for letting Oliver come in the house. It took a while to build a bunny bond following Coco's passing but now it's mostly gone bc of the cat. I could never bring myself to get another cat while I have Acacia.

Anyway, follow your heart and even trial adopt a cat to see if they connect. It's possible that they might not take right away.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
I thought the ASPCA was another HSUS type of organization
Anyway, follow your heart and even trial adopt a cat to see if they connect. It's possible that they might not take right away.
SPCA is similar to HSUS (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals vs Humane Society United States.)

Anyway the county always confuses me with how they do their stuff. I think one of the kittens I want is back at the shelter (out of foster care) for some reason. My heart says pick these two. Willy came from a hoarder with his sister. They broke them up. Pepi was found in a dumpster covered in fleas. She bonded to cage mates but I guess everyone thought she was too big for a kitten. Hopefully I will be lucky to get both and everything will go smooth.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Betta Bomb

I have seen aged pets bond to younger ones. My bf's dad has a 13 yr old cat (Cheeks) and a younger cat about 5 yrs. Granted, they were both adopted the same time so they both came on the car ride home to explore a new environment together. Now they cuddle and play and wrestle and groom each other. I'm sure it will be hard if Cheeks gets sick before Henry due to age though
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Our friend here have two cats too which mostly are co-siblings and are very sweet with each other. Very true that cats are very social and sweet and they love companions.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Cats - well, most cats - love company. It keeps them busy. They can attack each other instead of you. You get a break sometimes as they cheerfully beat each other up in the hallway.

Best two-fer pairings are 2 males or a male-female pair. Relations are better this way.

Two females MAY be prone to turf arguments, especially if they're not from the same litter. However, 2 girls from the same litter tend to get along better.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)

Tags
adopt, cats, multiple, rescue, shelter