Ugh! To Declaw or Not to Declaw? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ugh! To Declaw or Not to Declaw?

...That is the question. Before I brought Saphira home, I made sure that my mom knew that I was NOT going to declaw her. Now she won't let me have Saphira upstairs because she keeps clawing things. I trim her nails every couple of days before she comes up, but mom still freaks out that she's going to tear stuff up... even though there's no evidence that she is. I'm so angry. I feel that declawing is cruel. But I think leaving her downstairs away from people is cruel too. I don't know what to do. I'm planning on getting a tv in the animal room, along with a cat tree for Saphira, but I don't see that happening in the near future. Any suggestions?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what about buying these claw caps thing its basically little plastics that go over there claws so they cant claw anything up?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Betta Bomb

My sister uses them. They're called SoftPaws and (generic brands). All you do is clip the nail - which you already do- and glue them on. They fall off after a couple weeks but my sister was thrilled because she lives under a landlord who is VERY materialistic and has leather furniture and stuff. Here's a link to soft paws but my sister just bought hers at the pet store.http://www.softpaws.com/
Tell your mom that declawing is utter modification that is both painful and unnecessary to cats. It not only tears the nail off but half the joint too so healing is atrotcious and the money spent on the procedure may be a waste once post-op problems occur. http://www.declawing.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Newborn Pup

there are so many options -- the caps mentioned previously, sprays that help deter cats from scratching, etc. honestly, these alternatives are so much healthier and better for the wellbeing of your cat than declawing. it isn't worth the potential problems, as others have said. there are a lot of great resources about alternatives, both physical and behavioral -- try searching for catscratching (dot) com. (i can't post links yet..)

miss evelyn, enid & oliver hopscotch (not yet pictured)

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Emery cat might help.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Can you dremel your cats nails?

I use a dremel on my dogs nails and it makes them a lot smoother than when you cut them with clippers. I make them nice and smooth and rounded so they can't really do any damage to anything.

You'd probably have to get your cat use to a dremel, but it works well once you get the hang of it. It makes it easier not to hurt their nails too, my dog is very relaxed when I do his nails now.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've decided to stand my ground and not get her declawed. I actually like my vet a lot better now because she flat out refuses to do it. She talked to me for about 20 minutes on alternatives (double sided tape, penny can for when I catch her, the nail caps that you've talked about, etc). I use to work at a vet and I saw numerous cats/kittens getting declawed. It was one of the worst surgeries to watch them wake up from. Once I remembered that, I decided to stand firm with my mom. She can yell all she wants about it, but she needs to keep her promise. In the meantime, I'll keep trimming her nails and I just ordered 40 hot pink and purple nail caps off of ebay for $12. Do I need to do the back ones too, or will just the front ones be okay?

I'm taking Saphira to get her picture with Santa tomorrow! But she also gets some shots tomorrow too

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 AM
It's all for them

Thank goodness. You might want to point out to your mother that declawing is illegal in 26 or more countries around the world.

Countries whose people enjoy their cats quite well without chopping their toes off.

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Bosnia

Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland

Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium

Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Yugoslavia
Malta
Israel

And six cities, so far in the USA. I pray every day this mutilation of cats will stop in this country.

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

And Norfolk Va

Have her read this link:

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Betta Bomb

I;m glad you decided on the alternative!! Actually spraying water and shaking a can I'm pretty sure will not stop the behaviour. As soon as they realise where the source comes from they'll just avoid the behaviour around the person they know will scare them. I've seen it happen. Cats are malicious. ;P
You'll need to out up pictures when she gets on her nails! And, no you do not need them for the back claws. Cats only use their back claws to balance, not for scratching. While it's most unlikely and my sister has not had it happen, cats should not fall off furniture and scratch it in the meantime unless they are ill or are deaf with balance issues. So, leave the nails off the back paws!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM
It's all for them

PS cats can be trained to scratch where you want them to scratch.

Make sure they have enough scratching places, including a cat tree. Cats like to stretech out when they scratch.

Offer several different surfaces for scratching. Sisal, cardboard and carpet, even wood are all things cats might like.

Offer different "shapes". Some cats like to scratch on flat surfaces, some like curved surfaces, some like upright surfaces.

Incorporate the scratching furniture into your interactive Games with your cat. Drag the string up the post so she climbs it and gets the feel of it under her claws. Toss the mouse or crumpled paper up the tree or under the tunnel of the scratcher.

Teach by example. Cats are the original copy cats. When playing with her, periodically go to her scratchers and scratch on them yourself. Make happy noises when doing it.

When you find her scratching something you don't want her to scratch simply pick her up, gently, and bring her to her own furniture and show her what to do. You can hold her paws very gently and move them in scratching motions.

But most importantly you want to make sure there is furniture for HER upstairs that she is allowed to be on and allowed to scratch. It's not fair to not let her scratch the sofa, but not give her anything she CAN scratch. So get a cat tree or cat condo and some sturdy posts up there and teach her to use them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Betta Bomb

And addition to that, somebody, it's important to mention that cats have the desire and instinct to scratch. If you propose this training technique with her you may actually train her out of scratching on things you don't want her to That would be good. the softpaws will not curb her instinct so scratching a sisal post might make the softpaws come off. Just keep an eye on them. That's why you get so many in the pack for a low price. They're really awesome but they will fall off and need replacing! ^^ Especially during training!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 AM
It's all for them

Yes, cats scratch because they need to, it is part of who and what they are as feline.

My training methods are based on not using claw covers, just training cats to scratch where you want them to scratch.

Cats are trainable.

It takes time and work and consistency and patience (you can't expect a cat to learn what you want in a day, or even a week, it can take months), but the training also forms even deeper bonds between you and the cat, so it's a win win situation.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Betta Bomb

Well if her mom does not want the cats to scratch upstairs and lilchris train them downstairs then they might go upstairs and it would be a new room for them to scratch up and training would begin again!! lol maybe not, I think all cats are a bit evil though
While he trains them not to scratch furniture I think it might be a good idea to use the softpaws ^^ Then her mom can see for real that the cat needs to scratch but cant
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 AM
It's all for them

Oh sure, I wasn't talking against soft paws. Not at all. If they work as a solution, that's great.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Betta Bomb

Even as aid to your training ^^