Undo furniture training? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Undo furniture training?

We recently got another cat, Ghost, who was a stray in our neighborhood. He's adjusting very well except for one thing. He refuses to go on the furniture. If you sit down on a chair with him or put him down on the bed he bolts. So far the only place he's gone besides the floor is on top of our chest freezer. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we can get him ok with being on the furniture?

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Why would you wanna undo that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Well our other cats have always been allowed on the furniture and they often sit on our laps or sleep with us, and we'd like him to do the same thing eventually.

I got a valentine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Give him time, dont force anything.. eventually he'll come around but not if you push the issue

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

He'll learn from the other cats most likely that its okay. otherwise, bribery works with most kitties.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

oh yeah id give him treats up there

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Could be just his preference also. My 5 year old kitty refuses to sit on your lap period. Ocassionally she will get on the couch but that is rare. Her favorite place is on top of my bedroom dresser and at night she will occasionally crawl in bed with me but for only a short time then back to the top of the dresser for the night.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwC
Could be just his preference also. My 5 year old kitty refuses to sit on your lap period. Ocassionally she will get on the couch but that is rare. Her favorite place is on top of my bedroom dresser and at night she will occasionally crawl in bed with me but for only a short time then back to the top of the dresser for the night.
He's just fine with sitting on our laps as long as we're on the floor, so I don't think that's it, but it might be.

I got a valentine!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

I think he just needs time. Hes obviously comfortable with you, but is probably just taking a little longer to learn the rules. With having other cats in the house, he might think its their territory, but he should evntually realise its ok if you keep coaxing him up. One of my kitties was like that because my other cat thought it was her bed and isis wasn't allowed on it. After many times of putting her on the bed she decided to stay there for longer and longer.

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

He may have not been able to get on the furniture from a previous owner. I think just seeing your other cats get on the couch will break him of that conditioning. If both your cats are napping on the couch and he wants to join them, he'll have to get on the couch.

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker