Upset Tummy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Upset Tummy

Hi everybody,
I'm really worried about Pixel, again. Her stomach has been upset for the last three days. I had been feeding her Nutro kitten food, but she turned 1 in August so I wanted to switch her to adult food. I let her finish out the large bag of kitten food, and just a little over a week ago bought her a grown-up food. It's also Nutro brand, but it's a Lite food, because she has a little extra weight on her. I gradually added the adult food to her kitten food, phasing out the kitten food over 1 week's time. She was fine for that whole week, and she really enjoys the new food. However, Sunday was her first day of eating only the adult food without any of the kitten food mixed in. That night, she had diarrhea. Monday and Tuesday nights she also had diarrhea. Each time, she does it *right* before we go to bed, and each time she ends up with it all over her legs, so she has gotten a bath three nights in a row.
So, I'm wondering if this is normal for cats when they are adjusting to a new diet. Three times seems like too many to me. So if it is the food that is causing it, do you guys think that I should put her back on her old food, then gradually phase in a different adult food, or just switch her right away to a new adult food? I'm really not sure what to do.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would add back some kitten food and do a more gradual change, like over a couple more weeks if that fixes it.

If it doesn't fix it, give your vet a call.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear Pixel isn't feeling well. I agree with Steph, I would change back and do more of a longer change over a few weeks, maybe the total change was too much? Her tummy could just be really sensitive, too. How is she doing today? Was there any blood in her stool? I hope everything is ok, keep us posted.

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't know if this will work on cats or not, but when my dogs get an upset tummy, I give them Greenies. They have them for cats now.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and advice! Well, we went and bought some of the old kitten food yesterday morning. She was fine all day yesterday, but got upset again tonight. I checked carefully this time, and there wasn't any blood in her stool.

I'm really worried about this weekend, because my boyfriend and I planned a trip to Nashville before this happened. Luckily we found a friend to watch Pixel who has three cats of her own and used to work at Petsmart. So she should be able to handle a problem if there is one.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. I thought everything was fine because yesterday and all day today she was fine. But I guess there's still something wrong.

What are Greenies?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

They're cat treats that have chloryphll (sp?) in them. It helps their stomach.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, thanks for the help everyone. She is back to normal!
I'm going to try re-adding the adult food to her diet. Wish us luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Newborn Pup

Haven't seen a post from you lately...how is Pixel doing with the switch over now?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are kitties that probably requires longer phase on their change of diet. Hope Pixel fully recover soon..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
kitten food