Urinary Infections - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Urinary Infections

What are the symptoms of a urinary tract infection in male cats? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Off smelling urine, frequent urination, blood tinged urine, urinating in unusual spots, and squatting to urinate frequently but not producing anything (This is a true medical emergency and needs seen NOW.). If he's producing less than a small stream, he needs seen as soon as possible.

Male kitties can be prone to urinary blockages. If this happens and is left untreated, you wind up with a VERY sick kitty.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Well this little kitty seemed to be urinating larger amounts than usual. My gollywhopper rabbit tinkles in his box sometimes and I wasn't sure who had the flood or if kitty had a problem.
Is there urinary problems with excess other than diabetes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That can be just about anything, including kidney issues or just a simple UTI. As long as he's producing urine, I'd take him in tomorrow and just get a check up done.

Stephanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:51 PM

I have a question to add to this. We have a male cat at the center and he has kidney falure. He is on antibiotics right now. His symptoms were large amounts of urine output drinking tons of water. He was walking around very tenderly and he seemed to be in some discomfort. After the antibiotics for a week he is more lively and playful but he still has large output of urine and he is still drinking a lot. He has a healthy looking coat but it takes a bit for his fur to go back to place when the manager does the skin pinch test. Now he has put on a bit of weight. Is this seeming to be a good sign or not.
The vet said that he is in kidney failure but i am hopeful that he isn't in cronic failure. What do these symptoms seem like to you? I fear that they are going to give up on him and put him down. Would that be the more humane thing to do?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Brenda, if it were a pet cat, I would ask about giving sub-cutaneous fluids at home to help keep him hydrated. Chronic failure is pretty much non reversable but, with adequeate hydration, the cats can maintain comfort for a while. How old is the kitty?

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:08 PM

We don't know how old he is because he came in a stray but wwe do know that he is very tame and affectionate which makes me think he may have been abandoned to the shelter because of this diagnosis. The sub-cutaneous fluids is what Stacy our manager wants to see if they will allow us to give him. He is so worth the effort because he is such a lover! This makes me so sad for him. He needs a quiter home they say or I'd bring him home in a minute.( I have a very loud busy house here)

Tags
male cat, urinary tract infection