Urinary problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Urinary problems

Hi everyone

One of my cats, Xander, has started acting funny over last few hours, he's going to pee, but doing nothing, but trying like every ten minutes.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever, he's playful, has good appetite, in fact begging for treats, and seems generally fussy.

I am calling the vets first thing in the morning, but anyone got any ideas? I have considered the possability of crystals, but my dad's cat had these a month or so back, and his cat was definitely showing signs of pain and distress. Also considered cystitis, which has got me panicky as I know it can be fatal.

My dad said it could just be a behavioural thing that I never noticed until his cat was ill, and I'm just looking out for things!!! As I panic, maybe!!!

Anyway, Xander is my absolute life and can't bear to think of anything being wrong with him.

If anyone has any theories, please let me know!!!1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:21 PM

If he is blocked...meaning there is a crystal/crystals stuck in his urethra and he can't urinate, run don't walk to your vet!! Someone on here just lost a cat due to this problem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

OH god, now I'm worried! Seriously, if he's running around (he's just joined me now) and doesn't seem in any pain/discomfort, am I over reacting?
To whoever has just lost a cat - my heart is with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:39 PM

It was Steph (Veggiegirl), who lost her cat, I am sure she will be able to help you! Good luck with yours!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I went through exactly the same thing with my dog a few months ago so know how you are feeling. She didn't seem in any discomfort and when i first took her to the vets they thought it was a bladder infection and was not weeing as was painful but next day she was in pain and i mean pain so i rushed her in and they operated straight away to remove bladder stones, if i hadn't she would have been dead now as her waste products would have poisoned her system and caused kidney failure. I really think you should get him to a vet as soon as possible as he really needs looking at, it could be quite simple and be a infection but on the other hand he might need surgery to remove a blockage such as stones! Goodluck and please let us know how you go on with him

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLEBUNNY
It was Steph (Veggiegirl), who lost her cat, I am sure she will be able to help you! Good luck with yours!
Yep.

Go to a vet right away, have a urinalyses and bloodwork done. Probably some x-rays too. Its better to be safe than sorry. My cat Sneakers acted fine as well, and because I didn't take him in sooner (and other reasons) he wasn't able to get well. Don't wait! Please keep us updated.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Go now!!! The more you wait, the more blocked he will get, and then the pain comes... Any worth-while vet will see you right away if you mention the cat is having trouble urinating. I have been to the vet many times for this! Always go when you see the first sign of straining. It can only get worse...

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:37 PM

I agree with everyone else. You don't want to mess around with something like that. It is truly detrimental if not taken care of right away.

Keep us updated!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys

I'm off to the vets in one hour. Shaking like a leaf and already about to cry incase anything is wrong. Vet just tried to put my mind at ease in case it's just an infection. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Just got home, his bladder is not inflamed which is a good sign, so still possible just an infection. He's had some anti-biotics and he has to go for another check tomorrow, they will decide on what action to take then, but it's not as bad as I feared!

Think I'm just being an over protective mum, I lost one of my rabbits last month, and still upset over that, but better safe than sorry eh!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPFROG
Think I'm just being an over protective mum, I lost one of my rabbits last month, and still upset over that, but better safe than sorry eh!

I always say it's better to be safe than sorry! I'm very overprotective when it comes to my furry babies, and my husband will vouch for that. I sense one thing is wrong and I'm on the phone to the vet or e-mailing them!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPFROG
If your cat was having a hard time peeing, you are definitely not an overprotective mom! You did the right thing
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear things sound like they are ok, its always best to get things like that looked at as they can turn bad in no time at all, keep us posted on how he's doing and you can never be too over protective where your babies are concerned

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You did the right thing!! Urinary problems are not to be messed with! I am so glad his prognosis is good!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
If your cat was having a hard time peeing, you are definitely not an overprotective mom! You did the right thing
I'm glad your kitty is going to be ok. Make sure to take him back if it happens again.