UTI? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

UTI?

I went upstairs today to clean the cats litter box like I do every wednesday and Hyrum kept pawing at this box of clothes. I went up to it and it had urine all over it. He's been peeing on it the whole week. I searched around and he had also peed on a bag and it looked slightly orange. I looked online and it sounds like a UTI, do you think it could be that or is there something else it may be? What are some of the other things I would notice with a UTI? I'm making an appointment for him tomorrow morning and I actually hope it's a UTI and not just some new habit he has.

One other question: What gets out the smell of cat urine? I've washed the clothes twice now and they still reak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
RAT ADDICT

It does sound like a UTI.My cousin has 6 cats and awhile ago a couple of them started peeing in the bath tub and on the floor and she took them in and they had UTI's.

As for getting pee smell out...I have no idea.I do know cat pee is strong and stinks!

Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

it does sound like a uit to me. when my cat had it, she stopped using her box and would go on teh floor near the door, please take to the vet, they can help lots

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM

How to Clean-Up Cat Urine | OSU College of Veterinary Medicine

This is what the site says about laundry, but it lists how to get it out of carpet and such also.

Laundry

1. Machine-wash your laundry using a cup of white vinegar and no detergent.
2. When the laundry cycle finishes, add detergent and wash regularly.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 PM

another cool site with a bunch of uses for vinegar and pets... as well as other ways to use vinegar.

Vinegar tips for pets - Great uses of Vinegar
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx everyone for the comments and the links. I coudn't make an appointment for him today, I got up way too late and had to leave for my pre-marriage counselling right away, so I'll be making an appointment first thing tomorrow. I checked the litterbox today and it seems like he must have used it, cuz I don't think China (my other cat) would go that much in one day, lol.

I'm trying that vinegar thing right now and I really hope it works, otherwise those clothes are all garbage. I've washed them 4 times already.

Once again thanx for replying.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 PM

no problem. I'm going to try the vinegar thing for cleaning out the litter boxes. I hope everything turns out fine with Hyrum.

If it's not a UTI it could always be the stress of you getting married...if it just started happening. Animals can sense the stress in your life and react. My friend had a problem with her cats peeing in front of the litter boxes no matter how much she cleaned them. She took them to the vet and no UTI....just mad animals. LOL But she got married to a guy the one cat hated, moved them twice in a month, got a new dog, then got pregnant, had a baby, and moved them again all in 2 years time. So they were pretty stressed kitties.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Well it turns out that there was nothing wrong with him and he just felt that the box of clothes was a nice place to pee. I got rid of the box and now he's using the litter box again. Oh and the vinegar worked to get the smell out of the clothes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Kitties can be brats sometimes. Years ago Tyler would pee on the dirty bath towels. The problem was they were kept in the bathroom. When he did it the bathroom would stink terribly!
He's better now.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
can't think of one, help

You might want to wash them a few times in the vinegar, and check the odors of the clothes on damp days when odors seem to be stronger. I'm lucky my kitties don't have a strong urine odor. The flip side is that one kitty has to take thyroid pills twice a day. When one of my kitties had a UTI, she kept running to the kitty box and going one drop at a time. Freaked me out, I was lucky I could get her into the vet fast.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 PM

I'm glad the vinegar worked for you. I used it to get the urine smell out of the plastic litter boxes during the last change and it really worked. It's amazing all the uses vinegar has.

Wish I would've known about it when I worked at a camp for people with disabilities and had to do their laundry. We tried that liquid Fabreeze stuff and everything and some stuff went home still smelling like pee and/or poop even after washing them several times.

Last edited by wellahart; 08-30-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: OOPS hehe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 PM

yeah my cats tyler and jack will pee in the bath tubs every so often and tyler will pee on my clean cloths sometimes if i leave them on the floor. I will try the vineger thing this weekend on the towels first to see if i can get the smell out. Tyler also peed on the towel i used to dry the puppy the other day. Other than that theya are good kitties.

On another note Jack will go around the box not in it but a few times after i clean it out.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, veterinary medicine