UTI and our trip to the ER vet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

UTI and our trip to the ER vet

Well, we had to take our Snuggles to the ER vet. I noticed he looked kind of weird Saturday before last (the 10th), like he was peeing in the dogs bed. I didn't see anything, so I thought it might be a marking thing, since he has behavioral urinating issues. After 5 pm (on Sat after the vet closed ofcourse! lol) I came in from outside and noticed blood on my 2 rugs by the doors, and I knew right away it was something, a UTI or I was freaking out he was possibly blocked. I saw him keep going to the box and nothing coming out or only a tiny amount.

We called an ER vet/24 clinic we recently found right near our house, not the one we went to before, and they said they were booked till the next day! But once we explained what was going on, she said in a male cat we needed to bring him in right away and they squeezed us in that night at 9:45. Brad was able to get a sample in a little tube from when he peed on the rug and we took a picture with out digital camera of the blood spots, we were all prepared. I was freaking out the whole way, thinking what could be wrong. Since Brad got the small sample, it was enough for them to test on so we didn't stress him more. The vet was impressed with that and our pictures! He said we caught it right when it started, his bladder was pretty empty and his tests came back that it was definately a UTI. He said he didn't see any blockage which was good, and that he was going to be fine, he gave him 3 injections, 1 antibiotic, 1 anti-imflamitory and 1 vitamin injection. We went home with 3 different meds, and 2 he is on for 2 weeks. He was peeing all over my small kitchen rugs the next 2 days, so I picked them all up and washed them and didn't put them back down yet, but after a couple days of the meds, he is feeling better and using the box all the time now. He is taking the medicine good, 2 liquid droppers of antibiotics 2x a day, and the other 2 at night. One was pills and I said I couldn't get it open to see it, well Brad opened it and they were bigger than human vitamins! LOL! They were chewable tabs, break them in half and he eats it with canned food. The other we mixed in his food too but hes now done with it. I need to take him to my regular vet for a recheck in a few weeks to check his pH levels, etc.

I told him I feed Wellness, which has cranberries and blueberries in it for urinary tract health. I know they have Wysong for urinary health specifically, but I really don't want to change from Wellness, because I really like that food/ingrediants and they love it so much and it took me awhile to find a great food they all loved eating, or one that agreed with Ginger's sensitive tummy. I was doing some research on supplements to prevent anything like this from happening again and I came across this for dogs and cats on Solid Gold's website.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...id=25&code=509
Has anyone seen or tried this for their cats? I went to our dog/cat food store and the girl that works there just had the same thing happen with her kitty, and she highly reccomended it to us. I think we will get some to add to their food.
So that's my update on my boy!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm glad Snuggles is okay! Keep us updated on him and how the food supplement works out for you too.

Stephanie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

You caught it early! Lucky kitty!!

You're great pet owners, Jackie... You and Brad have things all figured out. I would've been a total wreck if Sam started to do that... I wouldn't have thought to bring any samples or take pictures!

I'm glad he's doing better!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I'm glad you were able to get him treated before it got to bad. I hope he gets better fast for you. Let us know how the supplement works too.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks guys! I will keep you posted!

Mal, the vet was impressed we took a picture! I didn't know how much of a sample Brad was going to be able to get off the rug, but it was enough, they only needed a small amount. He was not a happy boy at the vet, he hates going there. He is such a sweetheart, and a very affectionate kitty, he gives us hugs, but he doesn't act like that at the vets! lol! He was he hissing and growling up a storm!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Glad Snuggles got in okasy and is on the road to recovery.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks Keri!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Glad to hear he is doing better. Magilla says hello - the girls are just snobs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks Dena! LOL about the girls being snobs!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Im glad snuggles is ok . Thats so scarry kudos for you catching it early! How did brad get a sample off a carpet?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm so glad that you caught it so early and that's great that he's doing so well now! What a great kitty mom you are.

Rhonda

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Playful Pup

UTI's can be very painful for a cat! So glad you found out in time GOOD LUCK, Snuggles!!

Tags
canned food, cat food, male cat, pet owner, regular vet