Varied Kitten diet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Varied Kitten diet?

As you all know I am adopting a Kitten next month. I was wondering how to give her a varied diet

So far all I've figured out is a can of cat food daily ( different textures and flavors avoiding seafood)

And 1/4 cup blue dry food daily

What can I add to this?

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

is there a reason you feel you need to give such a varied diet? Canned and dry have a variety of things in them, you can give treats and things as well, but it will do fine with just dry food. if its a good brand

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM
It's all for them

A seven week old kitten does not need a varied diet. Feed her the same canned food every day until she gets a little older, to help establish good eating habits. Once she gets to be about 3 or 4 months old you can start branching out a bit. No treats right now either. Just her canned food every day and the Blue healthy growth kibble for snacking.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
is a little "special"

I know this is a tiny bit off topic, but... Is seafood bad for kitties or something?

(I know nothing about cats, so sorry if I sound stupid LOL)

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

no she's not getting treats. I was just making sure I was doing everything right the blue I plan to give her to free feed and throw out leftovers every morning.

I was thinking 3 flavors of the same brand. and Of course her Blue Kitten food

No seafood isnt bad for them it spoils them and they will refuse to eat anything else your fine better safe than sorry I know nothing either thats why i'm learning

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I know this is a tiny bit off topic, but... Is seafood bad for kitties or something?

(I know nothing about cats, so sorry if I sound stupid LOL)
Seafood and fish can contain heavy metals that are bad for cats. Many cats love fishy flavors because they have such a strong smell. Feeding it too young can create a finicky eater. I don't feed fish foods at all, but I especially wouldn't feed it to a kitten, and only once or twice a week to an adult cat.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
is a little "special"

Ahh, OK. Thanks for explaining, Sombody!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

The brand I'm getting they only have two flavors without fish is that enough?

Proud Mommy to-

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
The brand I'm getting they only have two flavors without fish is that enough?
Yes. Two flavors plus the kitten kibble is plenty. I wouldn't advise any more variety than that for such a young kitten.

I bet you are getting excited!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

He told me he hasn't seen them in a couple weeks since she moved them to the attic. So I hope they are ok. He wanted to get rid of them next week ( she wouldn't even be 4 weeks) ... But I talked him into waiting. I just need to get the rest of the money and bring my little girl home

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

How much should I be feeding her daily?

I was going to feed her a little every 2 hours of wet food ( 1 can total a day)
and let her free feed on her dry food ( 1/2 cup) emptied and refilled daily

Proud Mommy to-

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

With my new kitten (he's 8 weeks) I do half a can of food in the morning and half at supper time, and I free feed kibble (although he only nibbles on it, he prefers the wet food LOL). He's always got a warm round tummy...

Great information on
Great information on choosing
Great information on

Mommy to: Cocoa and Gracie (Siamese ratties), Lilly and Mercedes (fancy ratties), Minnie Mouse (dumbo eared rattie), Nova, Lucy and Titan (male Bettas), tropical 15 -and -10 gallon tanks, and a kitten named Mowgli. Plus two human kids!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
It's all for them

One large can? The 5.5 oz size? That may not be enough, kittens need a lot of food.

Every two hours is good.

Feed her a tablespoon or so of food at a time (about 1/8 of one of those 5.5 oz cans). When she eats that, give her some more, and so on until she stops eating. Then two hours later, repeat, and two hours after that......and so on. Leave the kibble down overnight, so she doesn't go all night without food.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
It's all for them

PS You're going to do great with her. She may cry a lot the first couple of days, bring her home on a day when you are going to be home continuously for at least 48 hours.

A wind up alarm clock (the kind that tic tocs loudly) and a "rice sock" would be a good investment for when you have to leave her alone

Wrap the clock and warmed up rice sock in some soft fleece and tuck it in her bed, it will help her feel like she is sleeping next to her mama or some litter-mates.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

That was my exact feeding plan and I'm going to be home with her for about a week.

Proud Mommy to-