Vomit Alarm - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

View Poll Results: Does your cat ever let you know in advance that he or she is about to vomit?
Most if not all of the time. 15 51.72%
Sometimes. 8 27.59%
Never. 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Vomit Alarm

An odd poll, but a worthy one, nonetheless! (Or so I hope. )

My Siamese, Lacey, will do this weird guttural meow when she's about to vomit. We are very familiar with that meow, and run into action when we hear it. We usually have about 60 seconds to find her and keep her from vomiting on carpet or rugs. (Tile is so much easier to clean.)

Does your cat ever let you know in advance that he or she is about to vomit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 04:06 PM

I don't know if any of my current cats have ever vomited, at least not in my presence, so I wouldn't know if they give any warning.

Two years ago I had a kitten that used to eat fabric (I'm a seamstress). On two occasions she started vomiting. The first time she started on a Sunday morning and by noon I decided she couldn't wait for a Monday vet visit. It turns out that she had eaten a piece of fabric and it had shredded in her gastro-intestinal track and caused a blockage. She had to have emergency surgery and became our $500 free kitty. I ended up moving the bed into the small room and putting my sewing area in the master bedroom with the closable door so she wouldn't be able to get into my fabric.

Several months later the vomiting started again and I knew it was time to go to the vet. Yes, she had done it again and had to have surgery. While the surgery went well, she had a tissue reaction and when they took her back into the operating room to take a look she arrested on the table. I must have one of the kindest vets; he didn’t end up charging me for the surgery because he knows that I am a college student with limited funds.

Moral of the story: Be very observant when the vomiting happens, it may be a clue that something more is wrong than just an upset tummy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 04:38 PM

This poll is kinda gross Roz. lol. My cats don't throw up very often, but when they do I usually discover it by stepping in it in the middle of the night! Tiger sometimes meows before he is going to throw up, so I voted sometimes. Since we are on the subject of gross things, has anyone ever left the vomit for a minute, came back and it was gone? Eeew, that has happened to me many times. The cats ate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Only one of mine does, Donovan. Sounds like he's dying, then up comes a hair ball! Could you add an option for I have one that does It wouldn;t be right for me to vote for them all!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 AM

Mine don't vomit often, but when they do (mostly hairballs) there is no telling, I'm with Steph, I usually discover it by stepping in it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Well, all the hairballs in this house don't come from my cats, they come from SEAMUS (the sheltie)!

We've only had one kitty vomiting incident in this house, and it's when I found out that Galina is allergic to milk. She was drinking milk out of my cereal bowl and I noticed her sides were starting to shake. Soon (with her STILL drinking) her whole BODY was shaking. Then she leaped off the table and threw up everywhere on the floor. After that, she wanted to get back up on the table and drink MORE milk! Silly cat. Since then, she hasn't been allowed ANYTHING with milk in it.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:03 PM

ALLWAYS! That is what they do before vomiting, silly!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:31 AM

I know that crazy vomit meow! It sounds more alien than cat. I didn't connect it to my cat vomiting until it happened twice. I've only heard it maybe 6 times out of many many cat pukes, but I always think it's funny when they do make it. (Of course after I run to prevent a mess!)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
has anyone ever left the vomit for a minute, came back and it was gone? Eeew, that has happened to me many times. The cats ate it!
Dont have to worry about the cats getting back to it, the dogs run over and snag it first

I've never known when our kitties are gonna gag something up. I either find it in the morning by the accidental step-slip-slide-gag manuever or catch the dogs about a second after they've lapped it up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mine never warn me i normally find it by stepping in it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Mine don't warn by meowing, just making that horrible "hurgh hurgh hurgh" noise and heaving. I usually have 10 seconds or so to relocate them to an easier to clean surface. They usually slink away afterwards but come back to look for it later. They always seem slightly confused as to where it went.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Mine make the same noise that Chantelle's does. Unfortunately, I don't always here them and have often found it by stepping and sliding as well.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
vet visit