wanting to adopt but parents say no. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

wanting to adopt but parents say no.

I am having a problem you see I work at the local humane society and have gotten attached to a few animals but none like this cat Fripp. He has problems with his balance so his head is always tilted when he walks. He is just so special to me. I have never tried so hard to get my parents to say yes. I'm 20 years old and am going to school, I'm planing on living at home as long as my dog is alive because it is so hard to find rental housing with a 50lb dog. He is going to be 10 next month. I would take the cat with me when I moved out. We have had at least one cat my whole life, the last one got too old and we had to put her down about 4 months ago, so its not like we haven't had a cat before. My mom says she is worried about the new cat going potty where are other one wen't(not in her litter box). And my dad just says I dont want another animal be happy you got your birds and dog. I don't know what to do I even offered to pay them monthly to keep the cat at our house. Anyone have any Ideas? Please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fripp.jpg (13.9 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unfortunatly it's your parents house so you have to respect their wishes. I know how hard it can be to find rentals, but it is possible (Just look at my sig and see all the pets I have to squeeze in!) The last thing you want is animals in a home where they don't feel welcome. Spend as much time as you can with them at the HS and hope you find a place soon

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for writing. I do respect my parents very much, if I didn't respect them I would have just taken the cat home with out asking. I cant afford to move out because I'm paying for school but that is fine because I like living at home, it's just that I'm getting depressed about not being able to get this cat. I have quickly been deprived of something I have had my whole life, I have never been without a cat and it might be dramatic but I feel like my heart is being broken again and my parents care but it wont change anything. I just wish they would understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

It's a sticky situation since you live with your parents, but perhaps if you perservere without getting to the point of being annoying, they might give in.

You could offer to pay and have the carpets steam cleaned which would remove any of the old cat's smells. Do research on it and share the information with them.

How many birds do you have? Your parents could be feeling like their house is too crowded with animals ... And also, you have to take your other pets into consideration when you bring a new one in. How do you think your dog or the birds might take to a new cat? How do you think the CAT will take to living with a dog? And do you think the cat might try to attack the birds, since not all kitties can live peacefully with animals they view as prey?

Just some things to think about ...

Good luck, though.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for writing

I have given it a lot of thought. I have done research on introducing a new cat to the resident dog. I think the new cat would be fine with our dog if we introduce them the right way. I work at a shelter so I know from experience how important it is to follow the rules and don't introduce them too fast. We had a cat before and he liked her (she wasn't too fond of him though LOL) She was old when we got our dog and any cat person knows how they get set in thier ways. I have 2 birds and there cages are hanging so the cat wont get to them (we already had them cat proofed). Thanks for the advice on getting the carpets cleaned I actually was talking to the vets at my work today and they told me a way to get the cat smell out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

It's good to know the birdies are safe! And I know how hard it can be to catproof their cages! Man, it's almost impossible to catproof ANYTHING in our house. My kitties are just too clever (and they get my sheltie to assist them).

But just be persistent but not pushy and hopefully your parents will give in.

Cleaning the carpets would actually be a good idea anyway, even if your parents had already agreed, since you never know what strange behaviours foreign scents will bring about in your new kitty.

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

thank you

I wanted to thank those who replied to my post, tried to help and had hope. I'm giving up on getting my kitty. I wrote my parents one more letter pouring my heart out and they simply said "stop torturing us and yourself, it's not fair. You aren't getting another animal." I wont ever think it is fair but I'm not going to bother them anymore because it wont help and I need to respect them. I went to my aunts house and cried there instead of doing it in front of my parents because they would (my dad) would get upset with me. Of course he said dont get Dayle (aunt) Into this. Any ways thank you again to all that helped, I will secretly have hope and maybe Fripp has already gotten adopted.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwwww.. I'm so sorry. We're here for you if you need us, too.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
humane society, litter box, local humane society