We adopted a cat, but..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

We adopted a cat, but.....

My husband and I adopted a four year old cat today at the shelter in downtown Milwaukee.

He's so loving around people and other cats, but when it came to Harley....

I know he's new and probably stressed from the move, but we didn't even have Harley in the room (gate up for protection) and he saw her once and lunged at her. Dan got in the way to protect Harley, and he not only bit Dan's leg, but bit him by his thumb. Three times. He even went as far as shaking Dan's hand in the process of biting.

That scares me to death. Like I said, I know he's new and is probably scared and stressed, but to me that's uncalled for. I'm afraid for not only Harley, but I will not allow him to be near the chinchillas for that reason.

We have him in our bedroom for now, until he gets use to sounds of Harley and such. We're going to try rubbing a towel or something on Harley and give it to Baxter as a way to try to get him use to her scent. I'm hoping in time it works out, but right now I'm so skeptical!

Any other suggestions?

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope everything works out! I'm sure she's just stressed out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

Wow. I sure hope everything works out. I brought home a new kitten once and as soon as my cat saw it, she took off. She hung out around the house, and we could see her. We had to get rid of the kitten so my cat would come back. Cause I'd much rather have my old cat, that I've had for 11 years then a kitten that I barely know. I hope they get to know each other. God luck!

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It's great that you were able to adopt another cat, however with the cat being 4 it will take a little longer to get used to all the smells/sounds around your houses verses if he was a kitten. As for the cat getting used to Harley you have done a good thing with by rubbing Harley's scent on the towel and placing it with the cat, that may help. A few things may or may not happen with the new cat, either he will get used to Harley and they will get along great, He (the cat) will learn to accept that Harley is part of the family and respect the boundaries and leave Harley alone and go about life normal, or the cat will just be so hateful and things won't work out (that is the worst case) and you will just have to find another home for the cat.
Seeing as it's only been a day or so since you've brought the cat home, it is natural for him to be scared and I'm sorry that he bit your husband (as I know that hurts) however the poor thing must have just been scared to death with seeing the dog and hearing all the new sounds not to mention new smells.
Do you have a case history with this cat? Did the shelter supply any information on why the previous owners could no longer keep him? Just curious as sometimes that information can help........ Wishing you the best of luck!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We had to keep my brother's cat Zoey for a while once. She's normally a really sweet cat, but as soon as we got her to our house with our two cats she went insane. She attacked anything that moved including us. We kept her in the bathroom and when one of us had to go potty she wouldn't let us near the toilet. She would hiss and moan and basically just go bonkers. It took her about a month to get used to us and the other cats. She was a total sweetie after that. When she had to go back and live with my brother, our cat Milo who had befriended her pined for her for a week. So the cat is probably REALLY stressed out. Another thing, when I got a puppy and kept it inside, my cat Angel really hated that dog for a good while. But she eventually got used to it. Cats are just really different from dogs. They generally take a little more time to acclimate. About the chins...cats are natural predators. My cat Milo has been around my degus since he was a kitten and he still tries to be too rough with them and bat at them with his paws if I let them near him at all. My other cat Angel basically ignores them. I hope you give the cat enough time to know whether it's just stressed and will change or if it needs to be in an only pet household.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I used to do cat rescue and I would tell people taking home a cat where there are already existing cats, to put the cat straight into a bathroom or bedroom. The cats should not even see each other at first. They must slowly acclimate to each others smell before they are even introduced to each other. On occasion it is instant love between cats but this is VERY rare. Be forewarned to go very, very slow and never force the cats on to each other. This process can take weeks.

On a side note, make sure your husband sees a doctor!! Cat bites can be very dangerous.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

My cat has done the same thing to me. I th ink it's they don't notice what they are doing it, as they are in as much or more shock, or adrenaline, as you are. I think that he thought it was Harley that hew as getting. You new cat could have also had a very bad experience with a dog at one time. So that's all they remember of dogs is that bad experience. And there fore they have to ummmmmmm establish who's boss
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unfortunately, we took the cat back to the shelter. He's so sweet around us, but we were so deathly afraid he'd attack Harley first chance he got and we were also very afraid for the chinchillas.

They never really gave us a case history. Just said the previous owners brought him back because he was ill. That's all they told us. We should have asked if he was okay around dogs before adopting him.

I feel horrible. I really didn't want to surrender him, but my husband was in the hospital, that's how bad the bite was. It was a mutual decision, and I still feel terrible for doing it. I asked them to please not euthanize him, and they said they didn't know one way or another if he would be, and only the vet would know. I also told them to put on there a "no dog home."

Like I said, I feel terrible, like I didn't give him a chance, but I also have many other pets and people to worry about. I wouldn't feel right just leaving him confined to one room his entire existence here, and my husband and I just had this feeling he would never accept Harley.

Karen

[

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

you did what was best for the animals, that's all anyone could have asked.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh my goodness, Karen... I'm so sorry! You and your husband did the right thing, you had to do whats best for you all. This sounded like a very serious situation. Your poor husband!!! OH NO! How is he doing?

They didn't even give you any info. on him, you wouldn't have known, girl. I know you feel bad, but everything is going to be ok, your right, you have to look out for you both and all your animals. I really hope he goes to a wonderful home with no dogs, I hope they added that to the adoption sheet, like you said. ((hugs girl))

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Chin Lady
Unfortunately, we took the cat back to the shelter. He's so sweet around us, but we were so deathly afraid he'd attack Harley first chance he got and we were also very afraid for the chinchillas.

They never really gave us a case history. Just said the previous owners brought him back because he was ill. That's all they told us. We should have asked if he was okay around dogs before adopting him.

I feel horrible. I really didn't want to surrender him, but my husband was in the hospital, that's how bad the bite was. It was a mutual decision, and I still feel terrible for doing it. I asked them to please not euthanize him, and they said they didn't know one way or another if he would be, and only the vet would know. I also told them to put on there a "no dog home."

Like I said, I feel terrible, like I didn't give him a chance, but I also have many other pets and people to worry about. I wouldn't feel right just leaving him confined to one room his entire existence here, and my husband and I just had this feeling he would never accept Harley.

Oh duh, sorry Harley is a dog not a cat!

Don't feel bad. In this situation, you did the right thing. I hope your husband is recovering o.k. Even perfectly healthy cats can deliver a nasty bite that makes people ill. I hope the shelter doesn't hold it against him.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Yeah, I think he will go to a good home. He's so sweet it's not even funny. I just wish he could have gotten along with Harley. I think he knew something was going on, because when I went into the room today before we took him back, he looked so sad. As we were entering the room at the shelter for bringing in animals, I lost it. I was crying as I was explaining to the woman why we had to surrender him back.

Dan is ok right now. He's resting. He was in a lot of pain and had a fever for a long time, but he's on two different kinds of medication, one for the infection and to clear it up (I'd tell you what it is, but I can't spell the word if my life depended on it) and another for the pain. The redness in his hand has gone down, which is good. Now we're waiting for the swelling to decrease.

I just worry they'll euthanize Baxter. That was the one thing I am hoping they won't do. He's been through a lot, and I hated putting him through more, but I have to look out for everyone else. It was a tough decision, and my husband and I hated making it. We won't adopt another cat for a while, but we will eventually adopt a kitten. That way he or she can grow up with Harley and be used to her. I'd rather adopt a cat that is older, but without knowing whether or not he/she would get along with a dog, it's risky.

Karen

[

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:19 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sounds like your poor hubby got "cat scratch disease" (the informal name).

What is cat scratch disease?

Cat scratch disease (CSD) is a bacterial disease caused by Bartonella henselae. Most people with CSD have been bitten or scratched by a cat and developed a mild infection at the point of injury. Lymph nodes, especially those around the head, neck, and upper limbs, become swollen. Additionally, a person with CSD may experience fever, headache, fatigue, and a poor appetite. Rare complications of B. henselae infection are bacillary angiomatosis and Parinaud's oculolandular syndrome.

That could be it, might be something else too, however.

I had an anatomy teacher once who got a staph infection from a cat bite, also.

I'm so sorry you had to give Baxter back. But from the sounds of it, it was the right decision. Maybe he had bad experiences with dogs in the past and that is the reason why he reacted so strongly to Harley. It seems like the most we can do is keep the poor kitty in our thoughts (which I will) and hope for the best.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm sorry you had to take the cat back, but you did what was best for your family....That is odd that they didn't supply a case history with the cat, how lax are some of the shelter's in the states becoming? We have every animal in our home for at least a minimum of 10-14 days this giving us an idea how they react to other dogs, cats, people ect.... This giving the new owners some type of history!!
*As for as cat scratch fever, that is NO joke, my son from my former marriage got that when he was 15 months old, he spent 10 days in the hospital having tests done because they couldn't figure out what was causing his seizures other than the high temp. and they couldn't figure out why his white blodd cell count was so high when all of his tests for Leukemia (sp?) were negative, yet he remained to hold a steady 102-103+ temp. For 24 hours his temp. was pushing 105, I was frantic, my ex was out to sea, when they flew him off the ship to come back to norfolk, a few days later that is when they began to treat my son for cat scratch fever and instantly the fever broke, seizures stopped, it was so strange. I was scared to death let me tell you, this poor child went through EKG's, EEG's, spinal tap's, blood work, and was only 15 months old.
The only reason they began to treat for cat scratch fever is because they noticed a little scratch on his belly from the cat, that happened one day when they were playing.
P.S. Karen if you truly want a kitty I have 3 up for adoption and would gladly pay to have them or one flown to ya all you would have to do is supply the $$ for the health certificate and rabies
I do try to get these kitties out of here!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 08-05-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Tags
health certificate, poor kitty