We Found a Mommy and Baby in Our Backyard! What to do??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

We Found a Mommy and Baby in Our Backyard! What to do???

On Friday we went into our backyard and found a cat had a kitten under our porch! The kitten looks like he/she's about 6 weeks old but you can tell they've been under the porch for a long time. Well we called the county to have someone come get them but they said we had to call back on Monday(today), but I've gotten very attached to the little guys. LoL

We probably did the worst thing we could have done and gave mommy some food (since we have indoor cats we have plenty of cat food) and she was extremely thin. Well now she's used to us feeding her and in the past 3 days has become rather friendly. This morning I woke up to her standing at my back door crying and waiting for me to bring food out to her. She eats about 3/4 what I put out then lets her kitten eat the rest.

They've also started sleeping ON our porch instead of under it. So I don't know if I should just let them be and just adopt ourselves a new outdoor kitty or if I should still call someone to pick them up. The only issue I have is with the kitten. Since he/she's never been around people he bites and hisses. Mommy you can tell had a home at some point because she knows what a food dish is and comes right up to people (as long as you don't get to close to baby she's great).

What do you guys think, should I let them stay??? Here's a few pics I took of mommy and baby.... Starting with baby next post is mommy...

Last edited by qhluvr430; 08-26-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Here's mommy....

Here's the mommy.....

Last edited by qhluvr430; 08-26-2006 at 02:47 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:05 PM

Ahhh yes we are chronic stray rescuers in my family! If you have the room, the money and the time I would say go for it and keep them.. just make sure to make a stop at the vet for check ups to make sure they are healthy! Good luck, cute pics!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM

i think it depends on all those things too. if you think you have the time and patience it will take to work with the kitten to get him used to humans and the resources to take care of them (sounds like they both need to be fixed) then i say go for it. good luck with your decision
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Right now mommy doesn't let us near baby. She's gotten better with bringing him right up to the door but when we go outside and get to close she herds him into our shed. Is there a way to get mommy used to us being around her kitten or is this something she'd grow out of as the kitten gets older? Kitten was outside trying to play with mommy earlier and and doing the usual kitten thing and attacking her tail. Poor mommy looked so miserable.

Last edited by qhluvr430; 05-22-2006 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh you should take them in! We have taken in several cats and they have all done very well. I think the kitten just needs time to get used to you. We have also gotten kittens that hissed at everyone at first but calmed down. Some of our "finds" became to coolest cats ever! One was a 19 pound male that was a real life Peppy Le Peu! He adored the girls and the girls despised him. The other was a brown Tabby cat that constantly hissed at my sisters husband (boyfriend at the time) Mark said that he must be Rabid because he would chase him every night. Well my dad took him in and the name Rabid stuck. Rabid was the greatest cat and my dad's best friend. He acted more like a dog than a cat and would be at the door every night waiting for my dad. And never once did Rabid try to get out once he was in!
Good luck and you did the right thing giving them food!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 AM

let the kitten warm up give it time keep them outdoors they could use a good home and you seem nice enough for em
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 PM

if you want to keep them, then keep feeding her. try to make sure she sees you put the food out. she'll probably stop herding the kitten away as soon as he's weaned and then he'll warm up as well.

i think it's very sad that she only has one kitten... i hate to think something happened to the rest of them... my parents' momma cat (who's fixed now) had her first litter attacked by a big dog... this happened while we weren't home, but as soon as we came back we found her huddled under a bench on the porch scared to death and guarding a solitary kitten (she did have eight)... from what we can figure is when the dog attacked, she grabbed the kitten closest and ran out the back window of the shed... we had built a fort for them inside my dad's shed out of cement blocks... the dog tour through the wooden door of the shed and the plastic covering off of the fort...

the next time my father saw that dog he shot it and killed it... it had been harassing our cats for a while by then and this was just the last straw... wrong or right...

4 years later her son is still always by her side, they are never, and i mean never, seen apart...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't think it was the dogs fault but the owner who had let him out - although I can understand how your dad felt. I know my husband would have the same reaction.

Poor kittens - that is awful.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM

my dad figured out who the owner was about a week later just by asking around - the owner's response to my dad shooting him: "Good, I was sick of that dog anyway."

apparently he'd had a few heated calls of that dog chasing cows too - for anyone not familiar with the severity of this, a dog will run a cow until it falls down out of exhaustion (that will usually kill it), and cows will run into trees and poles as well because they only have side vision and can't see straight ahead of them...

you cannot break a dog of this, and it's the usual practice of cow farmers around here to shoot a dog onsite if they see it chasing their cows, their cows are their lively-hood and they can't have a dog jepardizing that.... people around here know to keep close tabs on their larger dogs... i'm surprised it wasn't some angry cow farmer that shot that dog before my dad did....
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM

Ohh, I've always had a soft spot for kitties in need. If you do decide to take them in, make sure to have them tested for FeLk before letting them see your indoor kitties.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 PM

any update? i'm really hoping things have been going well
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Talking Update

Mommy and baby have moved onto our back porch. They seem to really like it there. Every now and then we'll see daddy kitty out there watching the mom and kitten. He's very very mean though and sometimes the sounds he makes makes me think he's got something wrong with him.

We're trying to get someone from the city to come out and catch him. He's responsible for producing all the stray kittens in the neighborhood (we have at least 10-15 new kittens on the block every few months) and every one is the spitting image of him. We're hopping that getting rid of him will cut down on all the stray kitties.

We've been feeding the mommy, and kitten has slowly started eating the hard food. He still runs from us though, but moms more friendly than ever. She keeps trying to come inside the house, but since she has had shots or anything I can't let her in. I'm waiting for her to warm up and trust us a bit more before traumatizing her with a crate,vet, and shots. lol

But I think it's safe to say they're staying! I just want to kitten to like us, he's so cute you just want to cuddle him. hehe
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

If you want, catch them and bring them in. Lock them in a bathroom. Use a baby gate and a towel (since baby is probably young enough to wiggle under the door and get between the gate and door.) Since mom sounds so friendly I doubt it will be very traumatizing for her to go to the vet. No more than normal for a cat that doesn't like the vet.

I'd also give them a flea bath and be sure to have the vet take a stool nad see if they have worms. Once they have shots they can roam with the other cat(s) but if they have worms you want to make sur ethey aren't using the same litter box so maybe keep them in the quarantined room when youc an't watch their play. We also did the two dose worming with all cats in the household even if the kitties are quarantined.

Also, if youd on't plan on bringing them as indoor cats I'd at least have them spayed/neutered. If you search enough you can find either a rescue that does fix and release to help cut down the population, or at least an office that offers the low income co-pay procedures.

I helped my aunts out by taking in some cats for spaying as nothing says low income like a college student working only part-time. It was $20 for the females, $15 for males.

Good luck with teh pair!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:47 PM

wonderful, wonderful news!

Tags
cat food, indoor cat, indoor cats, litter box