weaned off soft food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

weaned off soft food?

My kitten is 15 weeks old and when I got him, they had been giving him soft food mixed into hard food for kittens. So I have been doing the same. I was wondering when can I give him hard food without soft food mixed in. I wanted to do this asap, since the canned food is more expensive and it`s cheaper to buy the big bags, but I want to do it right, so it`s good for him too. Thanks anyone for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Betta Bomb

please never stop feeding your kitten/cat wet food. Dry food is a commercial gimmick to make pet ownership easy, affordable and convenient. Wet food mimicks the natural diet of a cat and it actually keeps them healthier. Cats fed only dry food need more water in their diet and since a lot of cats get their water from their food (which dry food lacks) cats are often dehydrated and develop urinary tract issues.
I stress, PLEASE don't wean your kitten off wet food!!! If it's too expensive then you for sure cannot afford the vet care which she will need once she gets sick from cheap bagged dry food.
Just something to consider, here are some links:
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
.. Granted, you may feed some dry food i combination with wet. Make sure the dry food is a good quality (preferably holistic) variety with little additives and unnecessary by-products and corns..
http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandn...goodingred.htm
http://www.a-house-full-of-cats.com/bestcatfood.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Cheap and good don't equal up lol.

40lbs of most expensive cat food (using Wysong) $100+
40lbs organic raw food $30 from co op.

So see you can get good food cheaper but it takes work. Dry food really isn't good for anything carnivorous. You can only find GOOD dry food for rats, mice, horses, chickens...and so on.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Playful Pup

I always reccommend feeding a good dry food only as soon as they are able,, she should be able to be eating dry only at this point.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Betta Bomb

Cats are true carnivores. As true carnivores, they require wet food. Cats get their moisture from their food, dry food lacks enough moisture. Therefore, wet food is absolutely necessary.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Resident Zoologist

I will jump in and concur....if you want to do the correct thing for your cat, feeding them a diet consisting of exclusively dry kibble is not doing it. As has been suggested in previous posts, raw food is best, top-quality frozen or tinned food is next, a mix of top-quality tinned with top-quality dry is third.

Also, when choosing these foods, bear in mind that cats are obligate carnivores (google that)....the diet that is right and healthy for a domestic cat is no different than that of their wild cousins.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Please, please don't wean your cat off wet food for the reasons others gave. So many common health issues in cats are due to dry food. There's not enough moisture or meat in dry kibbles. Your kitten is also young enough that he might try new things so even if you don't want to a raw diet, at least introduce some meat (like pieces of raw chicken) and raw bones (like chicken necks). The dental benefits of raw bones will mean no (or at least less...depending on how much dry food the cat gets) expensive dentals later.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Colony View Post
I always reccommend feeding a good dry food only as soon as they are able,, she should be able to be eating dry only at this point.
This is bad advice, unfortunately.

As mentioned already (by almost every other poster in this thread), do not give your cat dry food only as it will likely lead to health issues.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Playful Pup

everyone has a different opinion on this vets and owners alike,, I have always had my cats on a dry food diet and my last cat lived to be 20. I worked as a vet tech for a few years and we always recommended feeding dry unless there was a medical reason why not,, I know there have been studies and trials anc such but more often than not I have seen cats get overweight on canned food,, as long as the cat has a good water source they should be fine,, should,, cats naturally go for moving water,, so get a water fountain or leave your faucet going at a trickle,, (thats what my friend does) but yes I do agree that cats dont get enough water from dry food they need a water source as well.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Betta Bomb

Dry food is bad for their teeth, pieces crack off and get stuck in the gums to rot. Unless you're using a enzymatic toothpaste for cats.
Not all cats take to fountains either, it's a more natural way to give them moisture to give wet food to them. It's not fair to feed only dry to an animal who is built to digest raw meat. It's simply not fair. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's neglecting- but it sure is not counting in the needs of the cat.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
everyone has a different opinion on this vets and owners alike,, I have always had my cats on a dry food diet and my last cat lived to be 20. I worked as a vet tech for a few years and we always recommended feeding dry unless there was a medical reason why not,, I know there have been studies and trials anc such but more often than not I have seen cats get overweight on canned food,, as long as the cat has a good water source they should be fine,, should,, cats naturally go for moving water,, so get a water fountain or leave your faucet going at a trickle,, (thats what my friend does) but yes I do agree that cats dont get enough water from dry food they need a water source as well.
As a vet tech, have often does your clinic do dentals? How often do you have to treat kidney disease? How often do you hear complaints of vomiting (something that seems to be thought of as "normal" for cats these days!)?

Yes, cats prefer moving water. Those fountains are great. But even with a fountain, most cats just aren't drinking enough water. They're meant to get moisture from their food.

High-quality canned food doesn't make cats overweight, free-feeding, too many treats, poor diet, and lack of exercise do. But the cats at your clinic are probably not being fed a good canned food anyway. If they're getting canned Science Diet or something it's not much better than dry. Also, dry food is just as likely, if not more, to make a cat overweight. It's often free-fed, too.

Lifespan isn't the only measure of health and can be more about genetics than diet, anyway.

Dry food isn't the best for dogs but most dogs do just fine on high-quality dry because they'll drink enough water to compensate. Unfortunately, cats don't and so it's impossible for me to ever recommend a dry food .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
As a vet tech, have often does your clinic do dentals? How often do you have to treat kidney disease? How often do you hear complaints of vomiting (something that seems to be thought of as "normal" for cats these days!)?

Yes, cats prefer moving water. Those fountains are great. But even with a fountain, most cats just aren't drinking enough water. They're meant to get moisture from their food.

High-quality canned food doesn't make cats overweight, free-feeding, too many treats, poor diet, and lack of exercise do. But the cats at your clinic are probably not being fed a good canned food anyway. If they're getting canned Science Diet or something it's not much better than dry. Also, dry food is just as likely, if not more, to make a cat overweight. It's often free-fed, too.

Lifespan isn't the only measure of health and can be more about genetics than diet, anyway.

Dry food isn't the best for dogs but most dogs do just fine on high-quality dry because they'll drink enough water to compensate. Unfortunately, cats don't and so it's impossible for me to ever recommend a dry food .

x2, she is dead on.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Playful Pup

we did almost no dentals on cats,, didnt see much kidney disease, and vomiting is never normal for a cat to do.. I never recommend free feeding a cat,, measure out a daily amount and thats what they get for the day.
as I said it is my opinion and the opinion of many other people to feed dry only,, I really don't know all the science behind it all but as I said I have used dry food on my cats and will continue to recommend it,, it is an OPINION and advice,, it is up to the owner of the pet to make the final decision. This is a forum and if someone asks advice on something I have an opinion on I will give it I feel it is up to that person to do what they believe best,, I share my experience on it and you share yours.. I shouldent have to defend everything I recommend,, I understand you have something against feeding dry only and thats your thing,, I have something against feeding canned all the time,, ok we have different opinions....
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
we did almost no dentals on cats,,
And the cats you saw had clean teeth? No periodontal disease? That honestly is hard for me to believe from my own time volunteering with cats. Not everyone opts to have dentals done (since they're so expensive) but I have seen very, very few adult cats with clean teeth.

I know it's your opinion but even the local vets here (and the vet techs I know) recommend wet food or wet food mixed with dry food.

Does your clinic sell dry cat food? If so, I would consider doing your own research and reading articles written by people who aren't selling something.

Sorry and no hard feelings, this is just something I'm passionate about. It's fine if you believe dry food is working best for your own cats but recommending against wet food when there's no reason to doesn't make sense to me. Is there a reason you think wet food is bad? Even if you think dry is OK too?

Part of the reason some of us feel so strongly is also that this is a kitten. Once the cat is an adult, it's hard to get them to try new foods. Some of us, and fellow cat owners, later struggle to get the cat on wet or homemade diets when health issues warrant it. A kitten should be given a mixture of different foods and protein sources so they don't grow up to be picky .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
as I said it is my opinion and the opinion of many other people to feed dry only,
If there are 10 people posting in this thread, 9 of us are suggesting that "dry food only" is a terrible diet for a cat. You are the only person contending otherwise.

Quote:
I really don't know all the science behind it all but as I said I have used dry food on my cats and will continue to recommend it,, it is an OPINION and advice,, it is up to the owner of the pet to make the final decision.
Terrible reason to continue to defend your "advice". Don't you think it would be reasonable to do some basic research on cat food and learn the "science", so that you can give an informed opinion?

Continuing to recommend dry food only because "my last cat lived to be 20yrs old on a dry diet" is the same as saying that "smoking is actually safe for humans because my father smoked his whole life and lived to be 80".

Quote:
This is a forum and if someone asks advice on something I have an opinion on I will give it I feel it is up to that person to do what they believe best,, I share my experience on it and you share yours.. I shouldent have to defend everything I recommend,,
When literally everyone posting disagrees with you on advice, then you should take that to heart.

Quote:
I understand you have something against feeding dry only and thats your thing,, I have something against feeding canned all the time,, ok we have different opinions....
Please, tell the forum why you are against wet feeding only?

Tags
kittens