weening the kitties - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

weening the kitties

websites dont tellmewhat is a good age to start weening and litter box training the kittens.. they're 5 weeks old now.. any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Seeing as mom is with kittens she will wean them when she feels they are ready... Usually by 5 weeks they should be eating soft food and usually by 6 weeks a combo of soft/dry and by 7 weeks straight dry, now that is only a guideline based on kittens being with their mother. In most cases the mom will push the babies away when she feels it is time for them to learn, the kittens will learn everything from the mom, (eating, litterbox training etc.) kittens usually adapt to litterbox training very easily and quickly.
If it were me I would watch mom with the kittens over the next few days and see how she is with them, and if she is still nursing and the kittens aren't touching any of her food, than after a few days I would place soft food (canned or very wet mushy dry food) on a flat plate and put it right next to them, if you are the one to wean them and not the mother, sometimes the kittens may need a little help realizing what to do, you can help by taking a small amount of the wet food and placing it in their mouth, this will help them get the taste of it, and about 95% of the time they will go directly to the plate for more.
Wishing you luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
dry food, litter box, litter box training, wet food