We're Talking Tuna: How Much Is Too Much For Your Cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

We're Talking Tuna: How Much Is Too Much For Your Cat?

Several cat caretakers visiting ASPCA Pet Nutrition online have inquired about feeding tuna to their animal companions. Mindy Bough, veterinary technician for the ASPCA Pet Nutrition and Science Advisory Service, dishes out the facts on this savory feline fave:

"An occasional tuna treat for your cat is generally harmless," says Bough. "However, if a large part of the cat's diet consists of tuna--or if the cat is fed tuna exclusively--some problems are likely to arise."

Tuna does not contain significant amounts of vitamin E, for example, so too much of the fish can lead to vitamin E deficiency, resulting in yellow fat disease, or steatitis. Symptoms include loss of appetite, fever and hypersensitivity to touch, due to inflammation and necrosis of fat under the skin. Felines who are fed too much tuna can develop other nutrient deficiencies, too, because most de-boned fish are lacking in calcium, sodium, iron, copper and several other vitamins.

Mercury, frequently present in tuna, also presents a potential danger. "At low levels, this may not be a concern," explains Bough, "but if tuna is fed nearly exclusively, it could pose significant problems."

The bottom line? "I recommend premium commercial food for domestic cats," Bough says. "These foods are formulated to meet all of a cat's dietary needs. Then you can feed an occasional tuna treat for your pet's enjoyment. And remember," she adds, "no more than five to ten percent of a cat's diet should ever be table food."

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I read an article about how Tuna should always be given only as a treat, I used it when Smitty was sick and couldn't smell well-I also used that juice in the can, dripped that onto his food so he knew where it was.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 01:34 PM

Tuna is expensive! My cat has to pay me if she wants some LOLl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 01:48 PM

I have never fed my cats tuna, but do buy the tuns flavored foods
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

None of my cats has ever known what tuna is; you can mess up their urinary tracts so quickly with stuff like that and it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

The only way my guys have ever gotten anything "special" (like human food) is when they've jumped onto the kitchen counters and helped themselves, which they knew was frowned upon!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 05:33 PM

I eat TUNA I don't go out of my way to get it lol, my mom always sends a couple of cans down when it is on sale. The smell drives them nuts!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I'm not finding fault with what others do, Cap'n. Just telling you what I do - or don't do!

Cats should not have milk either, because it is very hard on their digesetive systems. However, if you start giving them small amounts when they are young their system grows used to it as they grow up. My parents had two cats that wouldn't go to bed at night until they had their bowl of milk! And they were really insistent about it.

I don't remember the last time we had a can of tuna in our house. INDIGESTION!!! My digestive system can't handle it.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 08:40 PM

I wasn't being defenseive, just saying it because Dena said it was expensive LOL. My cats don't really eat any people food unless they get intot he top of a glass a milk, or eat the ketchup on our plates, lol.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 08:59 PM

Someone once told me that it was good to give a cat milk if they were mice catchers, like barn cats I guess. I never really asked about it cause I figured okay whatever.

Anyone heard anything like that?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Twila

My cat occasionally gets the water from the tuna. But he has to share it with another cat and 6 rats so he doesn't get very much!

However, he is adament about sharing my yogurt. Doesn't want his own, he wants what's on MY spoon. Same with cereal!

Is that safe for cats? This cat is 12 yrs old neutered and on Gold Seal cat food. He's never had to visit the vet for anything besides the occasional vaccination.

And don't get me started on bananas! lol

Tags
cat food, human food