wet kitty food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

wet kitty food

SO i been told that wet food is better for cats then dried so how do i get my cat to eat it???? sh will not touch it! i took a spoon and only took a little bit like the guy at the pet store said. Then i put her bowl in the microwave for a little to warm it up with a little water then i put the food in it and sorta made a gravy out of it. She likes the cravy stuff ok she keeps pawing at it but she wont eat it? what does that mean she goes around in circles and scratches at the floor.. gah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Part of the Pack

I wouldn't know why she wont eat it but cats usually paw at the floor as an instinct because they want to bury their food to save it for later.
I've actually been told that dry food is better for them because it reduces more tartar in the teeth and it actually makes the teeth work a little instead of with the wet food. At least that's what I was told when simba use to eat wet food all the time when he was little. They told me to either mix in with his dry food or just give him the dry food. Maybe mixing it in with some dry food will make her want to eat it a little more.

My babies...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

hum my vet told me and a lot more people have told me that it helps reduce UTI's. Well she has both and i brush trinity's teeth and she gets hard food at as treats too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:42 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

There is an opposing argument that dry food is actually worse for teeth because it sticks in the cheek pockets and causing plaque. I can see how this argument holds value, but I'm not sure to what extent. If you are concerned about your cat's teeth, brush at least every other day and/or give raw meaty bones (RMB) as a supplement.

Wet food is very important to a cats diet because it prevents urinary problems, like bladder stones, UTIs, and kidney stones. Try a few different flavors and see what your cat likes. My female is a bit finicky and she'll only eat some brands. We wanted to switch her to a completely wet diet but she just won't eat enough. Instead, she gets a small scoop mixed with warm water every night. Stay with it, you will find something that she likes.

And the burying is generally considered a trait carried over from wild cats. They bury their food to hide the scent from other cats.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat eats dry food most of the time, but we do mix it with some wet food 3 times a week usually...she has so many health issues that we are not to fond of the wet foods reaction with her...she has special food for IBS and the wet food makes for one stinky kitty lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I give my cats both wet and dry and they eat any type of wet food so I cant help you there.
You could try different brands and different flavours.
i think maybe fish ones would be good

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Happy Dancer, I also have an IBS kitty and we have had fairly good luck feeding him wet food. Mostly, stay away from any type of grain in the wet food. He actually does best on the Wysong 100% meat cans (beef, turkey, chicken). They only have meat, no grains, vegetables, etc.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

well she ate it... this is what i have to do: I have to put her dish in the microwave with water for about 30 sec to warm up the dish and the food. It makes the food smell stronger i guess. then i put a table spoon of food in the water and mush it up so its like a kitty gravy

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

yeah we give her the meat ones...no fish or rice or anything...and buying dry was beginning to break us, the vet had us buying the fod from her...we found one she likes and it works thats alot less and she seems to be ok...she is truelly spoiled, I would give her anything she wants and I think she knows it lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

my kitty knows shes spoiled too.. lol

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I know that any food that is low in ash and magnesium will help reduce the chances of UTI and the crystals. I feed dry food, simply because I know if my cats went on to wet food, they'd probably snub their nose at the dry stuff.

Karen

[

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Part of the Pack

My cats are very picky eaters, they always have dry food available, but they want the wet food all the time. I have tried almost every brand out there and I have found that their least favorite is Iams. They refuse to eat it. It is usually hit or miss with them. They will eat one brand of a certain flavor but not another brand of the same flavor. I have still yet to find something they will eat consistantly.

My male Ragdoll does usually eat what I put down, although now all of it. Where as my DSH female will try to bury it then walk away. I have come in to find lots of things on top of her food bowl. I.E. curtains, cardboard, books, clothes. She is very crafty.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I figured it out!!! its an art you guys. She loves the cravy so i jsut mgravy out of the food put her bowl in the microwave like i posted above it works. She loves it! but she still eats dry cat food. for her teeth and stuff and she likes tht the best. ... i am awsome

Tags
cat food, dry cat food, dry food, food bowl, pet store, wet food