Wet vs Dry - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

View Poll Results: Which diet is the healthiest?
Dry only 2 28.57%
Wet only 0 0%
A combination of the two 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wet vs Dry

What do you guys think is the healthiest diet for a kitty?

I've noticed that some vets are against wet catfood because it can cause dental problems. When I took Jasmine to Banfield (Petsmart) for her exam, the nurse was insistant that I switch her over to just dry food. Other vets feel that feeding wet food along with the dry is a good thing because it adds moisture to the diet and is good for the digestive system, especially for cats prone to digestive and urinary disorders. I feel like if I would have fed Sneakers wet food more often, he may not have had as much trouble.

Right now I'm feeding my kitties wet and dry. I bought Innova dry for Jazzy because she needs to put on weight, and she likes the wet food. I may switch back to dry, or continue feeding wet and dry. Or I might get a lite wet food later on (because Ollie is overweight).

What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If the cats drink enough, then dry, imho, is the way to go. It's generally healthier being not as fattening and much better for their teeth.

If, however, they do not drink water throughout the day, then wet food may be required to ensure they are getting enough liquid (75% water in wet..only 10% in dry).

If the cat's teeth cannot chew up dry food, then of course a softer wet diet may be required, however, to avoid requiring such a food dry is the way to go...

I'm not an expert with cats at all but from my own experiences, Brigg lived to be 15 with all of his teeth and still able to crunch away at dry food ... he was fed dry all of his life. Saber is going on 7 years of age and has been on dry food all of her life as well... her teeth are still in excellent condition...

I do believe, however, if you feed only dry, treating them with something wet is a good thing... my cats always get to clean out the tuna and sardine cans et al... If I were feeding them only wet, I'd give them a crunchy treat of some sort to work their teeth....

I've never fed both mixed together cuz I'm always afraid whatever doesn't get eaten right away will be wasted...

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for responding Deb I prefer dry too because it doesn't get wasted. Right now I have unlimited dry for them, and I have them split a half a can of wet food every morning. They always end up eating most if not all of the wet, and they snack on the dry throughout the day. Tiger and Ollie do drink a lot of water though. We'll see how Jazzie does.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

The cats main diet should be in dry food, cause the dry food has more of the nutrishment that the cat need. It is also better for their teeths, works kinda like a toothbrush. The wet food, is more like "a treat"...f.ex. as dinner, a little spoon per day. The nutritional value in the vet food is almost just water, and is not something the cat needs to be healthy and sound.

If you give the cat a dry food that they like, they will actually eat less of the wet food. We give them Royal Canine "Fit 32", and this food is their favorite. Every morning we give them cat snacks, and in the weekends we give them fish. They almost never eats up the wet food...Even though I just give them one spoon(there are two cats)...This proves to me that the dry food is meeting their needs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you go to www.catforum.com there is a vet on there named Dr. Jean whose specialty is cats. She is insistant that dry food for the teeth is a myth. I kind of believe it because at work we see many cats with bad teeth that have eaten dry food all the time. She also believes that many cats get obese on dry food. She is very pro canned food (or raw food diet). Not just any canned food mind you, but Wellness, Innova and the like. She believes if more cats ate nutritious canned food there would be a lot less crystals, UTI's, kidney failure etc. Something to think about....

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Newborn Pup

Like CTChin said, wet is better for some health conditions. For example there was a study that showed that cats with kidney disease stayed 50% more hydrated if they ate wet than if they ate dry. I agree the dry doesn't necessarily keep teeth cleaner. But it is cheaper, more convenient, less fatty. I feed mine dry only, but my old man kitty "White Meat" gets a can of Science Diet k/d each day to help slow his kidney disease. He also gets fluids under his skin every day or so.

-TwinkieSlug Whippetmaster

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Personally i feed mine a mixture of the two, they have a pouch of food every morning then they have dried food down all day for when they get peckish. I find with dry food they drink a little more which in my opinion is a good thing as keeps there bladders flushed out and hopefully stops things like stones from forming. I think cats should be given a varied diet as too much of one thing is bad for them and if they have a variation it stops them becoming too picky!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
If you go to www.catforum.com there is a vet on there named Dr. Jean whose specialty is cats. She is insistant that dry food for the teeth is a myth. I kind of believe it because at work we see many cats with bad teeth that have eaten dry food all the time. She also believes that many cats get obese on dry food. She is very pro canned food (or raw food diet). Not just any canned food mind you, but Wellness, Innova and the like. She believes if more cats ate nutritious canned food there would be a lot less crystals, UTI's, kidney failure etc. Something to think about....
I agree. I think if I feed a little Innova canned in the morning, and let them have Innova dry throughout the day, they will have healthier digestive systems and urinary tracts. After losing my poor Sneakers, I'd rather feed both and brush their teeth more often than increase their chances of serious internal problems by feeding them only dry.

Tags
canned food, dry food, raw food diet, royal canin, wet food