We've gone from pooing to weeing...... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

We've gone from pooing to weeing......

Last night when I got home I could smell cat pee in the computer room. I didn't have time to look for it or anything like that but I found the spots this morning. One was on top of a bag, that sits under the mouse cage (which is on top of the computer desk)....I figured that possibly when the mice are running through the tunnels and peeing it was ropping on the bag making it smell (even though we couldn't smell it).
Then when I was cleaning up I just did a bit more cleaning in other areas, to try and eliminate it before it happens.
A few minutes ago, I caught him peeing next to his cat tree, out in the sunroom. I picked him up and said no and raced him to his litter tray (while cat pee flew everywhere...he didn't stop peeing it just went out in true boy style ). I haven't found any poos around at all since the other day. He is taken to peeing.

So my question is, if I keep cleaning up after him, and when I'm lucky enough to catch him, put him in his tray, do you think he will understand that it is to ALL go in the tray? Is it just a smell thing that is confusing him right now? Or do I have a bigger problem on my hands?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:02 PM

How old is he? Male cats will mark their territory, is he using the litter box to pee at all?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 PM

Still sounds like his age to me, he's only 6 weeks Sassy. If the people before you had 3 cats then he's probably confused as heck plus with the scents from you other fuzzies its probably all confusing to him. Either that or he's just a little retarded. I highly doubt that he would be marking territory at his age. I would try to neuter him early if you can just to be in the safe side. Especially with the fact that there is other cat smell there. Most vets wont neuter her until they are 6 monhs old. Some vets understand population control and will neuter at 12 weeks. If your boss (I would assume you would have hime do it) would agree to do it early at 12 weeks I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:27 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that I think what your doing with the catching and cleaning is exactly what you should be doing, a wonderful job as usual!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Dena! My boss will neuter early, if the animal needs too. So if he keeps going I'll have a talk to him. You know he could be a little retarded....he doesn't land on his feet all the time and he always falls off things. He has a clean bill of physical health so we put it down to his age but he maybe he isn't all that bright! He does use his litter tray most of the time....even for peeing, that hasn't stopped. Hopefully it is justcomplete confusion on his behalf with the other smells. If I understand why he is doing it, then it makes life easier for the both of us, and I don't get upset about it. The pooing stopped in a couple of days, hopefully the peeing will too...especially since I caught him today. If I can get him to 6 months old without having to neuter him then I'd be happier...but if it becomes a marking thing then I will definently get it done sooner. For now we are keeping both the bedroom doors shut. He doesn't seem interested in going anywhere in the lounge or dining room anymore....and hopefully we combated the sun room today. I figure if we can get him using the litter tray 100% successfully for a bit longer then the other smells might not confuse him so much.
I just thought it was weird that he didn't start this until 3 weeks after we got him!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 06:05 AM

Carmen that is wierd that he didn't start doing this until 3 weeks after you got him, but ya know it could have taken him that long to feel totally comfortable to where he could see what he could and couldn't get away with, (sort of speaking). Cats are funny animals and sometimes unlike dogs they are sneaky in trying their owners. Our pickles will sleep in the sunroom with the bunnies or even in the chinnie room, and her lazy butt will go pee on the trash bag that has the used litter in it from the previous cleaning and just today I found one of the chinnie dust boxes had been used for a litter pan, didn't even realize she could get to it, let alone use it as a litter box. This kitty has issues!!!
Okay back to Milko, Dena is right in saying you might want to neuter him early to prevent the possibility of marking his terriority. I have always believed that spaying/neutering under 5 months was a bit wrong, as I believed it didn't allow the animal to fully grow up (sort of speaking), but around here they will spay/neuter as early as 8 weeks (and even younger, per our last rescue kitty was fixed at 5wks) and I have to admit the one's that we have fostered and have been fixed that young have shown me there is no reason for concern, but that is just me and being here is a bit different as well
I hope Milko will grow out of this and that he is doing this because he is so young, or is just trying to see what he can get away with, or like Dena said maybe he is just retarded
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well I feel we've gone backwards.....there was a poo under molly's cage last night. I picked it up, put him in the litter, put the poo in there and made him scratch around a bit. I thought we'd solved the poo problem but maybe not!
The rspca here speys/neuters as early as 6 weeks (the ones up for adoption) so it does get done early...but I'm with you Kim....I thought it stopped them from 'growing up' but he might have to get done at 12 weeks.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:34 PM

I remember when I brought home two very young kittens (one I still have almost 15 years old!). I took them away from a farm at 5 weeks because I was afraid the cows would step on them and kill them.

I kept the babies in a crate for a couple of weeks and then gave them more freedom. I thought littertraining was going good. I'll never forget the day I pulled the couch away from the wall and there were several piles of poo underneath I solved the problem by putting a few litters boxes around the house in PLAIN site. As they matured, I gradually moved the boxes to more discreet spots.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Miss New Booty

OH NO! Not the cat urine Carmen! You definatley know that smell anywhere! Awww man I hope he stops this soon. Everyone had good advice, I was thinking too since he was so little it would take him some time, but that is weird he waited a few weeks to start this, isn't it? I really bet now that he is smelling the kitties from before on that carpet.
I hope Milko stops doing this soon, hon! You are doing very good by cleaning the carpet as soon as you catch it!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys! There was another poo next to the pantry last night...I blocked him off from getting there and if he goes under the rabbits cage we're going to block them off for a couple of weeks. Today he has managed to do all poos and wee's in his tray!!! We also only let him run around the longe and dining when we can watch him....otherwise he is confined out the back. It makes cleaning easier and if it's just cause he 'forgets' about his litter, well he is closer to it out there to try and re-inforce it! I worked today and spoke to the vet about it....she isn't concerned....she thinks he'll catch on again and I won't have any more problems. Here's hoping!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I spoke to soon...he pooed underneath molly's cage tonight. So now underneath both of their cages are layers of foil (Melissa said they don't like the feel of foil on their feet). I put his poo in his tray, but he had a couple in there so I let him see it and then I cleaned it up cause it was stinking out my laundry. I am yet to actually wash his tray....if I wash it and remove all scent it might double confuse him right? So I just replace the actual litter for him.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 AM

Carmen, you have a full time job picking up poos and cleaning up pee. I hope Miko catches on soon and uses the litterbox for pooping and peeing. Hopefully, the surgery will help too. This is for you Carmen------>
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok quick update for you guys....I had the foil under Molly and Shadow's cage and he pushed it out the way and still pooe'd under there. I cleaned it all up and put more foil under there....shadow thought it was agreat game and had foil all over the sunroom so we canned that idea! I did notice that he was only going between 7.30 and 8.30pm so we blocked him off in the laundry for the last couple of nights until he has gone in his tray and it has worked!!!! I did find a surprise today, behind the Christmas tree but alex could smell cat poo in the loungeroom like three days ago and we searched and searched and couldn't find it. I went to re-arrange the pressies today and could smell it so I knew it was there....there was only one and it was old. So it's in the litter tray now. The wee's don't happen and we've had success the last couple of days. Hopefully he stays this way now!
But there is a bonus with all of this....due to all my cleaning Shadow and Molly have stopped leaving territorial droppings under each others cages and I don't need to vacuum every time they get out now cause so far they have stopped leaving me presents!!!

Edited to say that if he continues like this his neutering can wait until he is 6 months. I took him to work for his first booster shot the other day and even took fresh litter from home.....didn't want to confuse him with different litter. It's been since his day at work that he has improved!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I did find a surprise today, behind the Christmas tree but alex could smell cat poo in the loungeroom like three days ago and we searched and searched and couldn't find it. I went to re-arrange the pressies today and could smell it so I knew it was there....there was only one and it was old.

Okay, I shouldn't be laughing when I read that but I can't help it. Carmen, he is contributing to the pressies! I do hope he continues to be a good boy and use his box.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

don't worry I know it's funny...he is such agross kitty!!! but so far so good...we even took him to my parents house yesterday and he made no mistakes there either!!! I don't want to speak too early but I'm crossing my fingers that we have fixed this problem!

Tags
litter box, litter pan, litter tray, male cat