What breed would you call it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

What breed would you call it?

I know someone who's rearing cats which are a mixture of Persian and local Thai cats (Siamese?). What breed would you call this?

Thanks and regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:26 AM

Domestic Short Hair or Domestic Long Hair... depending on hair lengh...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Moggies (which is the same as mutts). Why are they mixing the breeds?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Sounds like they are trying to get a hymalayan but I don't think thats how it works LOL!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

They shouldn't be mixing breeds.

Moggie, or Domestic Short Hair.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Padfoot, actually I'm not seen them personally. I just heard about it. So, please tell me what would you call both the types (Domestic short hair and domestic long hair)?

Actually, this person's not the one doing the mixing. He had already purchased it from a pet shop as it is. I think it's been done a long time like this.

Regards,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:11 AM

It wouldn't be any breed in particular because of the mix. Animals that are mixed don't have a particular name. They are just moggies or domestic shorthair, medium hair, and long hair.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I agree that it sounds like a hymalayan. However, I believe what made hymalayans a breed is that they crossed the Persian and Siamese and then began breeding those crosses to one another to create a new breed... This is purely my speculation since know nothing about breeding... hope its a sweet kitty though.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 06:24 PM

To be a breed you need certain number of generations and that the offspring all have the same characteristics. Hymalayans, as most other breeds, started by crossing 2 different breeds and choosing the traits from each they wanted to pass on to their generations. By now, hymalayans are a breed of it's own and to get hymalayans, you have to cross 2 hymalayans. If you cross a persian with a siamese, the offspring will not be hymalayans, some kittens will come out looking more like siamese, while others will come out looking more like persians and... perhaps some looking somewhat like hymalayans, but none of the kittens will be hymalayans, just mixed breeds...

Tags
domestic short hair, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pet shop